Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another 1915-D Buff 2 feather.

I just picked up this new 1915-D 2 feather buff. What do you all think? I paid $20 adn it is in Good condition.

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... looks like I can see part of the third feather there.... thought I had one the other day - there was some dark discoloration in recess areas. Soaked it in acetone a while..... then I could see the same thing you have. Figure it is not a 2 feather... ICBW... Cheers, RickO
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    Does it have the diagnostic die cracks? Your pics are to dark to tell. Can you take a better pic?
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I just bought another one on Ebay.

1915-d buff

My question is , will PCGS attribute, as this is not in cherrypickers guide?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will not attribute a variety unless it is in the sets and is recognized by PCGS. They do recognize varieties not in the CPG, but that has to be done through the variety guy. The variety guy has changed from Mike Farone to Steve Poliquin.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '15-D is one of the tougher ones. But are you sure the feather is totally gone? The lack of the characteristic die cracks bothers me. Those are present on every one I've seen and could well explain the coin's scarcity.

PCGS would probably call it a "minor" variety. There's a chance it will be in the upcoming CPG so I'd wait until then to get it slabbed.
    Ron,
    It does have three of the 4 die cracks in your book. They are very weak but still there! I cant tell where the fourth one lives on the coin? Maybe on the next issue put circles where the detail pics are?? Just a suggestion!!!
    If they're present then I would say you probably have the right die. But it also may be an earlier die stage with part of the feather still there. The correct die/die stage is a "true" 2 feather date.
    It has very very small remnant along the long feather and the back of the skull.

more detail of the area

That looks like the real deal to me. I'll PM the page from the book.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    your 2nd purchase looks much better. congrats tony!
    Ron,
    I found this page which lists the top set of varities in the PCGS registry. So they would probably attribute this coin.

arg They attribute the 1915 but not the 1915-d!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yep-the '15-D isn't in the CPG yet. I think they'll call it a "minor" variety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file