Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My latest 1912 Matte Proof Lincoln pickup (TrueView Photo in)

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thank you Phil Arnold @ PCGS TrueView!

PCGS PR65RB

Comments

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lovely! >>

+1

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic! I don't see what's holding that coin back from 66. The flyspecks on the reverse? Resub!!
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Nothing short of superb! THANK YOU for sharing.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWEET! I like the look of the MPLs!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive coin....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A real winner!
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Beautiful
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer coin! Thanks for sharing image

BTW, has anyone else noticed that WL's MPL board is getting very symmetrical: middle is the most mute color wise, left and right are bluish, top and bottom are redish, and top right/bottom left are red-green/blueish?

I'm excited to see how this fills out!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Killer!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Killer coin! Thanks for sharing image

BTW, has anyone else noticed that WL's MPL board is getting very symmetrical: middle is the most mute color wise, left and right are bluish, top and bottom are redish, and top right/bottom left are red-green/blueish?

I'm excited to see how this fills out! >>

Thanks for all the nice feedback!

I like this observation about symmetry, I can assure you it was an accident.

And I am guessing the upper left and lower right corners will stay gray holes. The vdb is too danged expensive, and the 1916 rarely comes toned and/or attractive (and that also tends to come very high priced)

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

imagebeautiful set.............
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And I am guessing the upper left and lower right corners will stay gray holes. The vdb is too danged expensive, and the 1916 rarely comes toned and/or attractive (and that also tends to come very high priced) >>

I'm uninformed regarding the obstacle you face. Can you give me an idea of what it would take to complete your set?
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could stare at that coin a long time! I have to think that the mint employees who struck the coin in 1912 would cry if they saw a Lincoln proof from 2012.
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And I am guessing the upper left and lower right corners will stay gray holes. The vdb is too danged expensive, and the 1916 rarely comes toned and/or attractive (and that also tends to come very high priced) >>

I'm uninformed regarding the obstacle you face. Can you give me an idea of what it would take to complete your set? >>

Here is the PCGS price guide for the 1909 vdb and 1916 Matte Proof Lincoln ...

Typically you need to get up to roughly PR64 to find something reasonably attractive without too many problems. You can see how HIGH the guide price is on the vdb in that range. The 1916 is more affordable however for some reason finding nice color in the 1916 is kind of tough. There is a blue 1916 PR65BN for sale for close to $7k, I think however it has some nasty reverse spots. There was a nice attractive 1916 PR65BN that sold on heritiage under guide price in the winter, however it hardly had any color and I have a hard time popping 4 grand for a coin that is not colorful (I am a color nut). Another beautiful 1916 is owned by RenoMedPhys, that might be my favorite, but is not for sale and if it was, would have a large toning premium, probably close to five figures. The population of 1916's is just so small, there is not much to pick from, especially if you are looking for eye popping color and at a price that wont break the bank.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful set of matte proofs.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick up, WL. I do like that one.

PCGS was a little conservative on the grade, I think. Maybe the reverse flyspecks held it back. They don't bother me at all.

Great set! Can't wait to see the VDB.
    Lance.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    WOW , WOW , and WOW , were the first three words that came to mind. --- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    BsktmkrBsktmkr Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I don't collect coins like this because I cannot afford them. That does not stop me from saying WOW. Great coin and a great set. I am always impressed by a set of coins of the quality you have assembled.
    ANA E-1059458
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Wing1957- You have assembled a very nice group of MPL's!!! They are one of my favorite coins to collect. You and I were late to the game and 1909 VDB's have left the building. MPL's were the coin that brought me to this site years ago. A 1909 VDB could still be had for a reasonable amount back then.

Very nice collection!!!
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that coin very much. Congrats.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Fantastic coin. Thanks for sharing. image

After seeing this, how could you not love MPLs? To think that early collectors found them disappointing.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another beautiful 1916 is owned by RenoMedPhys, that might be my favorite, but is not for sale and if it was, would have a large toning premium, probably close to five figures. >>

For you, WL:

My first MPL. I had to do a doubletake when I first saw this coin. The obverse reads like a work of art, with a multitude of colors ranging from brick red to purple and teal green. Rotation conveys a sense of looking at a hologram as different patterns emerge almost three-dimensionally, and the colors change right before your eyes. The reverse has the appearance of having a semi transparent gold leaf overlay among a flawless surface and perfect strike. Source: Brian Wagner Rare Coins, and Brian, I simply cannot thank you enough.

• Options
    RenoMedPhys, that is STILL my favorite 1916. Simply stunning.
    I even made a 1100 pixel wide version of the obverse so I can look at it on my iPad!
    I just love the way the colors dance off the high points on Lincolns head. WOW

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    No wonder you tossed your other 1912 at me so cheaply! image Gorgeous example! Here's wishing a beautiful 1916 in your future as well as a VDB.
  • Options
    yes, coindude, and I have ANOTHER 1912 to sell now as well as a 1911!!
  • Options
    Dangit! I just made a deal for a 1911 that Shane had up on ebay. Of course I was cash poor so I traded some coinage for it. Oh well, keeping my eyes open!
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    That is a very attractive coin!
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    That is one spectacular coin. What is going on at the cheek? It just looks strange but overall the coin is absolutely stunning.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful new addition to a magnificent collection of MPLs, really well done assemblage and presentation image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is one spectacular coin. What is going on at the cheek? It just looks strange but overall the coin is absolutely stunning. >>

That's where Mary Todd slapped him.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    No wonder he never told a lie.... again....
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin.
    I agree with Lance that the reverse specks held her down.
    And they don't bother me either.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Insane matte proofs. Eye candy for sure !! image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    like a chiseled masterpiece there that glows

i love it
    congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file