Home U.S. Coin Forum

~ Finest known Cajun token discovery... They are still out there fresh & raw! ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
1849 Cyrus Yale, Jr. & Company, New Orleans, Louisiana , Low-289 / Miller L-51 / Wright-1289, Rarity-7 (4-12 Known), Brass , 28mm Diameter, Gem BU.

The following is the finest known example of this classic Louisiana token rarity which was first mentioned in Charles Ira Bushnell’s 1858 book titled “An Arrangement of Tradesman's Cards, Political Tokens, Election Medals”. Once considered a Hard Times era merchant store card issue circa 1841 it has been re-dated to 1849 as C. Yale, Jr. & Co. was not found in any prior New Orleans business directory .

This newly acquired previously unknown specimen is fresh to the market after having resided within the holdings of the same family for four generations. Originally collected by the great-grandfather and passed down to his son. The son now grandfather passed away a few years ago in his mid 90’s. His father’s token collection was just discovered a few years later in the inherited house having carefully been placed in a mason jar and camouflaged among other mason jars containing screws, washer, and bolts stored on a workbench.

Beyond Bushnell this token was covered in the following publications -

Dr. Benjamin P. Wright in his 1901 book titled “The American Store or Business Cards” considered it Very Rare and assigned it a Rarity-7 level along with his number Wright-1289 non plated line drawing supplied.

Edgar H. Adams in his 1920 book titled "U.S. Store Cards" listed it as Rare non plated and assigned the number 51 to it for Louisiana.

Wayte Raymond in his 1940 book titled "United States Coins and Tokens" called it Rare non plated line drawing supplied.

Donald M. Miller in his 1962 book titled “A Catalogue Of U.S. Store Cards or Merchant Tokens” considered it Rare non plated.

Russell Rulau had it listed in his 1st edition volume of his book titled "Hard Times Token 1832-1844" as 1841 dated Low-289 Rarity-7.

The Dice/Hicks example shown below with a scan from the actual auction catalog plates to date has been the finest known example of this rarity.
It was considered Uncirculated by Stack’s in 2008 and also Brilliant Uncirculated when Stack’s offered the same token in the 1989 Steinberg sale.

Below is a list of other known examples once in major collections sold at auction in the last few decades including Charles Bushnell's own example –

Charles I. Bushnell collection sale Chapman Brothers 6/20/1882 Lot # 1127 VG Dented.

John L. Roper collection sale Stack’s 3/20/1984 Lot # 453 EF.

Julian Liedman collection sale Bowers and Merena 4/12/1986 Lot # 4627 EF – Ex: Roper 1984.

Lionel L. Rudduck collection sale Bowers and Merena 3/29/1989 Lot # 3132 AU50 obv & rev scratches.

Lionel L. Rudduck collection sale Bowers and Merena 11/6/1989 Lot # 3174 EF.

Robert Lindersmith collection sale Bowers and Merena 3/23/2000 Lot # 1206 VF.

Gilbert Steinberg collection sale Stack’s 10/17/1989 Lot # 418 BU.

Gilber Steinberg collection sale Bowers and Merena 11/6/2002 Lot # 5504 EF reverse scratches.

Hoosier collection sale PCAC 3/20/99 Lot # 125 VF - although not mentioned it looks corroded based on plates.

Charles Litman collection sale PCAC 12/6/2003 Lot # 136 VF - although not mentioned based on plates it looks like the same example in the Hoosier sale.

Dice/Hicks collection sale Stack’s 7/28/08 Lot # 3298 Unc - Ex: Steinberg 1989.

Info on Cyrus Yale:

Born in New Hartford Conn May 25 1818 Cyrus Yale married Martha West in Rochester New York and shortly after ventured south. Mr. Yale was already a prominent merchant in New Orleans in the 1840 located on 17, 19, & 21 Magazine Street with now remaining partner John Bowling. Formally the Peet,Yale, & Bowling Company established in 1837 as distributors of wholesale dry goods and notions. Yale & Bowling stocked the best and latest supply of fine fancy goods manufactured in eastern cities and Europe south of Chicago. Sales not only included the gulf states but also Mexico and Central America.The Yale & Bowling partnership was never dissolved as it's still listed in a 1889 directory. In 1849 based on directory information Cyrus Yale opened another location at 27 Magazine Street under the business name of C. Yale, Jr. & Co. which was later managed by his son up until 1859. Mr. Yale at the time of the civil war ran the blockade and sailed for Paris in 1861 to join his family who had preceded him. Mr. Yale remained in France until 1869 prior to returning to America. His wife died abroad and Mr. Yale died in New York Dec 26 1889 survived by four children.

imageimage
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool post. A reminder that we're all just keepers of our favorite pieces for brief periods of time. image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool post. A reminder that we're all just keepers of our favorite pieces for brief periods of time. image >>

Thanks SeattleSlammer as that's greatly appreciated since I've spent a couple days putting this together in Microsoft word. image
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    A truly rare piece. The fact that it's been in a collection for 4 generations is just amazing. This a great post and an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very cool post. A reminder that we're all just keepers of our favorite pieces for brief periods of time. image >>

Thanks SeattleSlammer as that's greatly appreciated since I've spent a couple days putting this together in Microsoft word. image >>

Would have taken 15 minutes on a Mac...

Kidding.

Really interesting read though and I too appreciate the time and effort in putting it together. I honestly didn't know anything about this.

peacockcoins

<< <i>A truly rare piece. The fact that it's been in a collection for 4 generations is just amazing. This a great post and an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing. >>

Thanks LogPotato and as only the great-grandfather was a collector my heart dropped into my feet when I reached into the package and pulled it out in a sandwich bag! image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks SeattleSlammer as that's greatly appreciated since I've spent a couple days putting this together in Microsoft word. image >>

Would have taken 15 minutes on a Mac...

Kidding.

Really interesting read though and I too appreciate the time and effort in putting it together. I honestly didn't know anything about this. >>

Thanks braddick it was mostly research and typing as I found info image
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Great post. Doing the historic research on these old tokens is half the fun! Nice find.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A post after my own heart! I applaud your research and passion. image
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A post after my own heart! I applaud your research and passion. image >>

Ditto, Thanks for the research and sharing!
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY interesting story. I wonder how close that extremely nice token came to being discarded along with other jars of nails, screws, washers, etc. It's a marvel that it has survived in such beautiful condition!
    Mark

<< <i>VERY interesting story. I wonder how close that extremely nice token came to being discarded along with other jars of nails, screws, washers, etc. It's a marvel that it has survived in such beautiful condition! >>

Thanks Mark, The tokens had been stored in a separate mason jar all by themselves...

Just camouflaged on the workbench surrounded by other mason jars filled with nails, screws and washers.

Edited to add: I rewrote it so it makes more sense image
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool piece, great story! And neat idea for where to store a collection . . .
  • One heck of a find and and even better write up! That was cool. Thanks for taking the time to do all that.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An informative post like this should include the coin type/reference numbers in the title to aid future search ability.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoyed reading with the first cup this morning. Thanks.image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post Broadstruck...thanks for the pictures and history...Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

its a good thing for sure image
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent story!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BsktmkrBsktmkr Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Great post, even better token. Thank you.
    ANA E-1059458
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool token, cool story! Store token collections are made much better when there's a picture of the store available to accompany the token.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool Broadstruck find and great research!

Has the previous owner wanted to be identified with the find? What about having the name of the great-grandfather associated with the piece? I wonder if the great-grandfather, and/or his ancestors, lived in the area and frequented the store.

It seems like the store was still around in 1895 as Yale & Bowling when they were the defendant in a suit brought by Glikerson & Sloss. There was also a suit brought by the previous company called Peet, Yale & Bowling in Louisiana against Nalle & Cammack in 1874 so that provides one data point on the transition from C. Yale Jr. & Co. There are photographs of the suit online and it's cool to see handwriting from a time when neat handwriting was still in demand.
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Excellent post. Thanks again, Broadstruck. image

And no way that the Stack's piece is Unc. Not from that pic. Congrats on acquiring what may be the only true uncirculated piece in existence.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That discovery piece looks... I dunno... MS64?

The Dice/Hicks example below pales by comparison.

Amazing, considering the Mason Jar story. How airtight is that Mason Jar provenance, BTW?

I'd be suspicious, but then again, considering the esoteric/exonumic aspect of this discovery, it's hard to imagine it being Made In China.

That's really neat. Despite the lack of pictorial elements on so many tokens, I find them more and more interesting with every year that I spend in the hobby.

You can only pin a coin down by the country and the mint, usually. The local specificity of tokens makes their stories so much more colorful.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

This is an older thread, but I love the information and it's wonderful to see when something rare is newly discovered.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to see old threads like this brought back, and to see the family history corrected by a descendant!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@susanyale.... Welcome aboard.... And thank you for a very pertinent contribution. Hope to see more of you here.... Cheers, RickO

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Put the nail in the coffin on the history! Great that you know your family history and have a reason to share it!

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also good to see one of @Broadstruck 's great posts resurrected. Hope he's doing well. :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good post to bring back, great read.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Your story reads similar to Carnac the Magnificent

His father’s token collection was just discovered a few years later in the inherited house having carefully been placed in a mason jar and camouflaged among other mason jars containing screws, washer, and bolts stored on a workbench.

"I hold in my hand the envelopes. As a child of four can plainly see, these envelopes have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls' porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of these envelopes – but you, in your mystical and borderline divine way, will ascertain the answers having never before heard the questions."

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WoodenJefferson said:
    Your story reads similar to Carnac the Magnificent

His father’s token collection was just discovered a few years later in the inherited house having carefully been placed in a mason jar and camouflaged among other mason jars containing screws, washer, and bolts stored on a workbench.

"I hold in my hand the envelopes. As a child of four can plainly see, these envelopes have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls' porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of these envelopes – but you, in your mystical and borderline divine way, will ascertain the answers having never before heard the questions."

"That sounds about right!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file