Home Metal Detecting
Options

Still want to try

I have been want to try detecting for many years but never got around to it. Now that it's warming up I got the itch again.

I live in a pretty good area in the northeast. I am near, or travel by Saratoga, Albany and Ticonderoga in NY and Bennington, VT. I would think all the obvious places have been searched many times but I have a few ideas. I heard a long time ago that people used to hide stuff by stone walls and there are plenty of those around. Rumors of mason jars filled with gold pieces....... Is this true or a myth?

There are also many old houses around and I wonder if any one has had any success talking to owners and making a deal to look around their property?

What about former drive-in movie lots? I picture kids running to and from the concession stand with handfuls of silver! But I think there is also miles of buried wire?

So how can I start and see if I like it? Are there places that rent detectors? What should I look for in a rental or just buy a new or used one?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much depends on the individual.... if you are totally unsure of your commitment, then buy a cheaper unit (i.e. an Ace 250... good beginner unit, reasonable price). More expensive units are better suited for real treasure hunting (i.e. stone walls and jars of gold coins), and yes, they are out there. I personally know an individual that has found a jar of gold eagles (and he says there are more out there)....his 'adventure' even made the TV treasure show... Then you need a better MD such as the White's V3i etc.... it is a great hobby, but there is much to learn and it takes dedication/time/research. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ricko,

$250 doesn't sound to bad for a good starter unit but I am confused about why that would not be suited for finding gold at rock walls. It seems like even the cheapest unit would go nuts over a large amount of gold or did they bury the gold under the rocks? Or too many false positives?

I have some old walls on my land and a possible foundation, used to be farm land long ago.

I guess I need to do more research.

• Options
    There are many reasons that low end detectors are not suitable for gold... including the fact that high end MD's use a different frequency for gold.... can low end units find gold?? Sometimes, depends on the size and depth and purity....The Ace is a great park, lawn etc MD.... for cache hunting, beaches, depth etc you need something better. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are many reasons that low end detectors are not suitable for gold... including the fact that high end MD's use a different frequency for gold.... can low end units find gold?? Sometimes, depends on the size and depth and purity....The Ace is a great park, lawn etc MD.... for cache hunting, beaches, depth etc you need something better. Cheers, RickO >>

agreed. a big coil helps out bunches as well. jmo
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about former drive-in movie lots? I picture kids running to and from the concession stand with handfuls of silver! But I think there is also miles of buried wire? >>

I have heard that some of those places can indeed be veritable silver mines. But as you imagined, there is probably also the challenge of buried wire and lots and LOTS of trash like pulltabs.

I like the orangutan avatar. Looks like he's dreaming about metal detecting. Haha.

It's obvious you've got the first prerequisite for successful detecting: an inquisitive mind. You're also in a very productive region of the country. That will just leave the obstacles of getting the equipment and becoming skilled with it, which doesn't happen overnight for most people.

If you take the plunge, I foresee much frustration and also much excitement for you. It's always a mixed bag. But when the right finds are made, a whole lot of the frustrations are quickly forgotten.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thank you for the encouragement Lord M. I am stilll trying to figure it out. Made the mistake of seeing what was available on ebay and now I am more cornfused!

• Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    Get the best machine you can afford and learn as much as you can about how to use it. Schools are always a good place to start because there will almost certainly be coins to be found. It will also be great practice for you to learn exactly how your detector works for different coins and other items. This hobby is a real-life treasure hunt, even if sometimes the "treasure" we come home with is only a few zinc cents. The thought that something special might be lurking under the surface can be a very powerful motivator!
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting this question, because it's one that I have as well. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'd like to add to your question:

If I wanted an "intermediate" metal detector, i.e. one that can detect within jars/walls, which is the best I can get for my money? I don't anticipate needing something to use within the water, but at the same time, I'd like a machine that could do a little more than check out what lies in my back yard.

Would the Ace 350 do? How expensive is the White V3i? My budget is up to $400, if that helps.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    The White's V3i is a top of the line detector and will run $1000+ depending on the dealer. Great machine, incredible technology and a lot for a beginner to handle...but not impossible if one takes the time. The ACE250/350 are good entry level machines that, for many, serve as their permanent unit...great for yards, parks, fields but not a high tech unit. In your price range, I would recommend the White's Coinmaster GT.....Yes, I am a big fan of White's quality, technology and their phenomenal customer service. Good luck...
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>The White's V3i is a top of the line detector and will run $1000+ depending on the dealer. Great machine, incredible technology and a lot for a beginner to handle...but not impossible if one takes the time. The ACE250/350 are good entry level machines that, for many, serve as their permanent unit...great for yards, parks, fields but not a high tech unit. In your price range, I would recommend the White's Coinmaster GT.....Yes, I am a big fan of White's quality, technology and their phenomenal customer service. Good luck...
    Cheers, RickO >>

Thanks for the response, RickO! I checked out the Coinmaster GT online and did some reading about it. The detector does fit my budget quite well and I believe it reads up to 8-9"? Better than the starter Coinmasters which only read 6 or so inches.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for posting this question, because it's one that I have as well. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'd like to add to your question:

If I wanted an "intermediate" metal detector, i.e. one that can detect within jars/walls, which is the best I can get for my money? I don't anticipate needing something to use within the water, but at the same time, I'd like a machine that could do a little more than check out what lies in my back yard.

Would the Ace 350 do? How expensive is the White V3i? My budget is up to $400, if that helps. >>

Don't worry about hijacking BG, the more the merrier. Besides, this is along the same lines I am thinking.

I am also wondering about used machines. Is it easy to tell if it's OK or should you buy used only from a dealer?

I found a local club but their website had not been updated for 4 years.