Home Metal Detecting
Options

June 12, 2013: Another watch, 1881 IHC, and 50th silver coin of year

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Pretty slow going today. Tried a new spot, a lot of melted metals that gave all kinds of weird signals.

Ended with my second watch of the year. Not even a name on the dial, so it's a cheapo
1925? Merc. She's super worn and was only about an inch deep. Never expected to see silver and was expecting a copper Lincoln. Can tell I was careless by the hairlines on it now.
1881 IHC
Part of a spoon handle.
Maybe some kind of suspenders buckle?

50 down, 50 more to go, haha. Goal for this year is actually 80, so let's see how things pan out.

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fifty silver coins in a year not yet half over? Woohoo! That's amazing!

I just did a quick check of my albums. It seems 1994 (the year I separated from my first wife and moved to GA) was my most active. (Lots of "dirt therapy" came in handy). At the beginning of that year, I dug Silver Coin #18 in my album. At the end of it, I had Silver Coin #67.

So that's what, 49, in one calendar year? '95 was also an active one for me, where I went out several times a week.

I guess a Merc and an IHC counts as "slow going", but even in my active detecting era, that would have been a pretty good day for me.

When I dug that Barber dime/IHC combo in VTH5, that counted as a really fun day for me.

I think 80 by the end of the year is a realistic goal for you. It will also be interesting to see how many of them are Seated Liberties and older ones. Got any Capped Busts yet? (I have one- a holey 1829 half dime- it remains my only one so far). Any Spanish colonial silver? (I think I have five now.) How about 3c silvers? (I haven't found one yet, nor a 3cN or 2c piece). From the flat buttons and Draped cent and some of the other stuff you've dug, it's obvious your site(s) have that potential for the oldies.

Speaking of which, are you hunting one or two sites pretty regularly, or do you spread yourself around? You have a rather amazing array of finds and periods.

The watch may be a cheapo, but it's an intact one, and pretty neat. Might have a little bit of age to it. Latter half of the 20th century, perhaps, but not brand new, from the looks of it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Merc and an IHC..... not bad at all.... Cheers, RickO