Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Need help deciding between 52, 54, or 56 Topps Set to collect

Hey guys,

Can't decide between which set to collect next?
52 is classic but has expensive Mantle
54 love the design, small enough to collect in time, but no Mantle
56 has both Mantle and Williams but no iconic rookies

Im thinking long term and would like to pass it down to my son who is just 5 now.
I could afford some high end cards over time if it was really worth it.
Also I still want it to be a worthwhile investment 30 years from now.

which one would you pick and why?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    That is a very good question. Which one to pick for long term? Obviously, the 1952 set is going to be the best answer to your question if you are looking for a great investment. Personally I think that all three sets will be worth more later down the road than where they are today, but 1952 Topps will have the largest upside. Depending on what grade you are looking to complete this set should be a very big consideration. Are you wanting to make an all PSA 8 set or are you thinking nice eye appeal mid grade set? What budget do you want to spend to build this set? I know that $10,000 will get you a very nice 1954 and 1956 Topps set ranging in the 6.5 range while I am pretty sure that $25K will get you around 5.4 on the 1952 Topps set. I will tell you that the 1954 Topps set will be the easiest set out of the three to complete. The 1956 is not hard either but it is 30% larger than the 1954 set.
    Should you decide on the 1954 Topps set I have around 80 cards in the PSA 6-8 range that I could sell you.
    If you need any additional information you can PM me.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I had the same dilemma a while back. I opted for the '54 set. My reasoning was the '54 set has the Aaron, Banks, and Kaline RC. It has two Williams, and many of the great HOFers. Yes, it doesn't have a Mantle, but I just picked up the #2 issue of Sports Illustrated that had the '54 Mantle. The set can be put to together in PSA 8 at a reasonable price and patience. I think this set is a very good investment with great possiblities.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    1952 all the way. It's my favorite set and is chalked full of amazing cards. You can get some nicely centered cards, at a reasonable price if you stay in the 6-7 range. The 8s command quite the premium these days.

TF
  • Options
    I would like to hear what grade he is looking to make one of these sets in. I would think the 1954 Topps set would be the easiest to do in any of the grades but there are around 16 very difficult PSA 8's in this set with a pop of 22-38. I counted the other day and I believe there were 19 guys building the 1954 Topps set in PSA 8 that have registered their sets. I am sure there are other collectors who choose not to register their sets with PSA. Saying that, building a set where low pops like this exist is not as easy as you would think.

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    What, no love for '88 Topps?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about 1955? Clemente, Killebrew and Koufax make it a great rookie crop!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the advice guys. It gives me a lot to think about. I might just go for the 54 set and get a nice Mantle from the 56 set while also getting a few commons from the 52. This might give me the best of all worlds. The 54 does have nice eye appeal and grades of 6-8 appear attainable for a reasonable budget of $8-10,000 over time. I got to have at least one Mantle and the 56 is a classic itself. And just to see what the hype is all about a few 52 would be cool just to say I had some. I'm doing an eBay analysis of the grades and price ranges out there now for sale. I will post it here on this board if anyone is interested.

Also on the side I like to design and make iphone/ipad apps. I was thinking of making a 50's Topps collectors app for fun. Would that be of any interest to you guys?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Without question the classic 1954 Topps set. IMO MUCH more appealing visually than the 1952 Topps set.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    I'd go for 1954.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Maybee-
    If you want a great start for your set my client had two sets in his collection. I graded out all the cards that had a chance for an 8 and then tried assembling an all PSa 8 set for him. I am pretty sure that he has around 100 duplicates in the PSA 6-8 range should you want a great starter set or just a few. Let me know if I can help.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    1952 would have easier resale value.
    Capecards
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

You didn't mention the 55T set, truly a classic and only 206 cards...the 4 "missing" cards relatively easy to attain to created a full 210 card set. Attached is a pic of a 55T set I once owned and at the time, the 16th best on the Registry. I sold the set a couple of years ago, but rebuilt it in all PSA 7, so the pic is really the same. I would guess you can put a 55T set in all PSA 7 together for about $18k, depends on how deep you go on the Star cards.

Anyway, for your enjoyment and consideration...

[URL=http://s994.photobucket.com/user/ajrs44/media/DSCN0567.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

[URL=http://s994.photobucket.com/user/ajrs44/media/DSCN0567.jpg.html]image[/URL] >>

Like Popcorn girl, it never gets old.

Back on point, I would go for 54, primarily because of the Aaron.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hank Aaron is card # 47 in the 55T set. Fourth row down, second card in as you view the pic above.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What about 1955? Clemente, Killebrew and Koufax make it a great rookie crop!

Joe >>

+1