Home Metal Detecting
Options

massive new dump, great finds made.

a friend of mine got a tip from his father of a possible dump. we never know what these tips will lead to. did'nt expect much. turned out to be about a mile long. 1890's-1930's stuff everywhere. could take years to dig this one. there were 5 of us today, this is one friend in action:
my glass finds:
US army first aid kit:
interesting metal items:

Comments

• Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    me
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Good luck hunting.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are those coins and /or medals in the picture of your glass finds?
  • Options
    just some clad from a previous outing.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that certainly looks promising! Do you usually rake or do to sift too?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holey moley... that is fantastic.... neat marble find too.... good luck, you are sure to find some amazing items... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    thanks everyone. i have a sifter, rake, various size shovals and other hand tools. after 26 years of doing this, i've trained my eyes to locate small treasures. a sifter is good, but takes more time and work. the small rake works very well. basically i'm scratchin at the dirt and constantly looking. you gotta go slow and be focused if you want to be successful.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That's some AWESOME lookin' stuff!

That first aid kit bears some further research. I wonder what war or period it is from. It probably has some relic value to a militaria collector.

Would love to see closer pics of your "interesting metal items" trio. (PS- the glass is beautiful, too.)

I'll bet a detector is almost useless in a place like that, huh? You probably have to sift everything, and a standard coil would probably go nuts from all the metal targets. A pocket probe would probably still be useful, though, huh.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    oh no, i have have detected many dumps and found alot of stuff. you need to use a small coil and go slow. you can pick out positive signals amongst the iron. this spot so far has fewer coins and good metal objects.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever found any precious metal jewelry at sites like this?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the looks of them there bottles, nice scores for sure image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    yeah the glass looks great!
    have fun!

dont forget to wash your hands after image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything Panama Pacfiic Expo related would be a great find!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Holy cow!!!!!!image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The item in the bottom picture on the right appears to be a so-called dollar from the 1939 Golden Gate Exposition:
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these sites worth digging? My brother showed me an old bottle dump near new construction, in the middle of the woods. I stopped by and it was about 100' long and 10' wide. There were piles of glass bottles (looked like the top stuff was from the late 1980's, car parts, and dirt. I dug around a little and found a bunch of small old blue medicine bottles a few inches down but the pile was so deep and there was a lot of new junk I gave up.

My brother was doing an environmental servey nearby and he said the site was said feom late 1800's on but it sure didn't look it.

Should I go back? What should I look for? Should I go to the middle and dig straight down as far as I can?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of new dumps were put right on top of old dumps... my house is like that in Ben Lomond, CA. The dump runs from the late 1880s to around 1957.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I have several of the 1939 medals. a few have different designs and can be different metals

as far as dumps go, yes they are worth it. its almost all I do know now. I have 34 dumps that I know of. if your getting TOC (turn of century) or earlier then yes pursue it. we dig a large hole and go down till we hit bottom. sometimes the bottom isn't actually the bottom. sometimes there will be another layer a foot further. pile your dirt away from you to avoid cave ins. never go head first. wear gloves, bring water, first aid, cell phone, friends? educate yourself in bottles.
    go to antique-bottles.net join and read the posting there