Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nice IH cent upgrade...and PCGS IH 67RD analysis over 12 years

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
I recently compared PCGS IH MS67RD pops from roughly 12 and a half years and found an increase of only 23.
It was done one month ago, and shows how truly difficult it has been to make a 67RD in this series - about
2 a year were made from October 2001 (the pop report I had) to April 2013 (using PCGS online report).

Here are the new ones. One year, 1883, actually went down by one (perhaps a cert label was turned in):

1879 (1)
1880 (1)
1881 (1)
1883 (-1 from 7 to 6)
1893 (1 -- first one made for this date)
1895 (2)
1896 (1)
1898 (2)
1899 (4)
1900 (3)
1901 (1)
1902 (1)
1903 (1)
1904 (1)
1905 (1 -- first one made for this date)
1908 (1 -- first one made for this date)
1909 (2)

Add another to the 1898, this 66RD from Central States
is already previewed as a 67RD in Heritage's July Signature sale.

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS67R is a very lofty grade and most are beautiful coins.

I remember in lot viewing how pretty that 1898 looked but didn't think it would upgrade because of the spotting and weak feather tips - glad someone had better vision than me. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Tim - that spot in the N of UNITED is the spot I would have thought would keep it down.
  • Options
    Okay does anyone find it even slightly surprising this coin got upgraded to 67 so fast image

Where is STEWARTBLAYNUMIS when you need him....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a gorgeous IHC though...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a 1907 IHC in MS67RD added this year.
    I think you missed.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    And the 67RD is up for sale again. Buyer's remorse?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I look at a high grade IHC, it makes me want to collect them again! image

Interesting to see it reappear.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    gypsyleagypsylea Posts: 193 ✭✭
    This coin is a close match for the spectacular MS67 Red PCGS coin offered in lot 3129 of our October 2011 Pittsburgh Signature that realized $26,450. (From HA description)

Nice coin, overall color is very nice. But if I paid $25k for it, I think that carbon spot would bug me after a while.
    Collector since adolescent days in the early 1960's. Mostly inactive now, but I enjoy coin periodicals and books and coin shows as health permits.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And the 67RD is up for sale again. Buyer's remorse? >>

Could be, or could be that he just wants to see if a profit can be had.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buyers Remorse???

Considering the purchase price was $2820 on 4/24/2013, and now it may go for over $20K, remorse does not seem possible. I just wonder if it was upgraded with a re-submission or it was cracked and resubmitted.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert in IHC for sure, but the 1898 linked is not an MS67 in my book. How can an MS67 cent even have carbon spots? The color also screams, "I'm dipped!" It must have amazing luster & surfaces in hand for PCGS to put that number on it.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish that was all that changed within the keys and semi-keys of the Mercury Dimes! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to the number of additional 67 red Indians grading in the past 12 years, I think the word "make" is the key.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file