Home U.S. Coin Forum

What was your best Raw Coin Purchase

13»

Comments

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coolest was probably a 1946-S Sans Serif FS-504 dime. I think i paid about $1.05 for it. It graded XF40 at PCGS and it looks like the population in all grades is 4 now. I have no idea what it's worth because I think only 3 people in the world are interested in them and they already have one (mine being the 4th).

The most $ was probably an MS 2008 buffalo fractional set I had graded all 70's First Strike by PCGS.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One I remember was a 35 Peace I picked up raw for $35 came back MS65
    another was a 32 Washie came pack MS65
    Picked up a 1893 Double Eagle for $400 and came back MS 63
    these were pick ups about 15 years ago
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are some awesome coins in this thread. well done! esp coinsarefun and georgekellogg...
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one from last month, bought raw for about $75.

PCGS MS66BN Pop 4/0
    image >>

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my best was a purchase of a 1961 proof set in OGP for $25.00. I bought the set because it had a possible Cameo half dollar. To my surprise when I looked closely at the half I found it is the big DDR variety.

Needless to say I got lucky that day.
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had heard rumors of this pick. Stone, could you share the backstory? It's gotta be pretty cool.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had heard rumors of this pick. Stone, could you share the backstory? It's gotta be pretty cool. >>

If I'm not mistaken, there was a thread about this coin a while ago.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has to be this one.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had heard rumors of this pick. Stone, could you share the backstory? It's gotta be pretty cool. >>

Yes, he actually did make an offer on a BIN listing image

I bought this for 63- money and it came back a 65.

imageimage
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has to be this one.

image >>

Huh?

What is the story?

Great coin
    Frank

BHNC #203

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up 2 cent piece for $100 from a widowed lady one time, who said the coin was worth "hundreds". I told her it MIGHT be , but I won't pay that much for it.
    Subsequent to this, I finally submitted it to PCGS. It was a lovely coin, and not cleaned, but they called it cleaned. ( I called B.S.).
    To me it was a naturally toned nearly AU coin. So, I had it on ebay for a long time at a buy now for $1200. (IIRC). A few offers came and went, and finally… this particular Thursday night, I received a "fair enough offer", & accepted a "BEST OFFER" (ebay).
    This was a "Good Friday. I called this old gal up and said, "Oh, that coin you sold me some months ago that I said would need to be graded in order for it to be worth a fair amount …. ? " She says : "Yeah ? " I said, "Would you come to my office ? "

She came to the office and I wrote her another check. This time for $550.

So … she starts crying and praising the Lord. I asked her why she is so elated.

She says, "Joe (that's her dead husband) was looking after me today ". Curious, I asked; "What are you saying ? "

She says, "Well I was praying really hard last night because my transmission went out of my vehicle. I didn't have any money and the repair shop said the repairs would be $500, but I just knew God would come through."

Well I was almost "scared" because I remember first telling her the coin WOULD probably NOT bring the kind of money she thought it was worth, so I never paid up for it, until I could get my money back. I made about 30% profits after it was all said and done, but….

And because of that, this is the best Raw Coin purchase, so far, to date.
    Oddly, it was the time of year and which day it was, which really inspired me to ponder the power of faith.
    Funny thing is : "There's a motto on that coin" … reminded me of the Widow's Mite.

HE>I

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! I purchased a 1861/0 Half Dime, identified as a VF through dark small images for $100;

Sent her in to PCGS;

1861/0 H10C Overdate FS-301 (FS-003.6) XF45

Cherry-Picking slabs for unatributed varities is a different story!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    My best with assistance from illini420. Bought raw for $57.99. Sold for $3,549.00

Superbird? What did it grade as?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

<< <i>My best with assistance from illini420. Bought raw for $57.99. Sold for $3,549.00

image >>

Superbird? What did it grade as?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file