Home Metal Detecting
Options

Who makes a good affordable unit these day?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think my son would have a blast if I picked up a metal detector.

Just wondering whats out there these days that's really a bang for the buck?
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Garrett Ace 250 for basic needs (not so much beach). Might be a good place to start looking.
  • Options

<< <i>I've heard a lot of good things about the Garrett Ace 250 for basic needs (not so much beach). Might be a good place to start looking. >>

Thanks as that looks like the price range I'd wanna be in at under $300.

I'll check for some reviews now.
  • Options
    You might also want to check out the Ace 350...

During my search I checked out Youtube to see the prospective detectors in action.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the 250/350... great beginners MD, and many stick with it ...... not good on the beach, but great for parks, yards etc.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently bought a more expensive machine and am looking to sell my Ace 250.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I would use whatever pcgs69 uses! image
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! image
  • Options

<< <i>I would use whatever pcgs69 uses! image >>

haha, I actually just use the metal detector app for my Iphone, as you can see it works wonders image

They actually do have metal detector apps. I tried it once, and I guess it kind of slightly moves for magnetic pieces. Might be beneficial for finding a dropped nail, but the power's so weak that's about its limitations.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really??? Did not know there were MD apps for phones... cannot imagine it could compete with my V3 or other MD's... but interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Really??? Did not know there were MD apps for phones... cannot imagine it could compete with my V3 or other MD's... but interesting. Cheers, RickO >>

Haha. In reading the reviews, those metal detecting apps are pretty bad... Either hardly working or not working at all. Still a neat idea but no merit as a real detector.