Home Metal Detecting

What is the best way to sell found jewelry?

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
Let's assume a 14k ring and a 24k pendant are found and are in pretty good condition.

Do most of you just hang onto the found treasure or do you have a process to move said items?

I don't have any but figuring that if I do find some goods I would like to turn them into a few silver rounds rather than jewelry.

Ray

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few ways to get rid of your jewelry (I put all mine in the safe deposit box).

Sell to a local jeweler
    Sell/consign to a pawn shop
    Sell to a buddy who wants some gold (my buddy or I might be able to beat your local jeweler or pawnshop)
    Sell on eBay - not too bad, but expect 15% fees
    Send to a refiner - I think I've heard ARA is pretty good. There's also Midwest but I didn't care for them when I tried them.
    Here on the BST

You just have to make sure that it legit tests as marked. My vote goes to eBay, but supposedly the ARA refiner pays well. Could always run it by my buddy too as long as you can guarantee it's gold.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good list from pcgs69..... Unless it is solid gold (24kt) or silver (.999), melting it into rounds (without refinement) will only give you questionable value rounds and unlikely to bring good prices. If not keeping the jewelry, then a refiner (Apmex, ARA etc) would be your best option. Cheers, RickO
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good list from pcgs69..... Unless it is solid gold (24kt) or silver (.999), melting it into rounds (without refinement) will only give you questionable value rounds and unlikely to bring good prices. If not keeping the jewelry, then a refiner (Apmex, ARA etc) would be your best option. Cheers, RickO >>

I think mrpaseo meant he would plan to sell any found jewelry and use the proceeds to purchase silver rounds imageimage. Or perhaps I misread the OP....
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good list from pcgs69..... Unless it is solid gold (24kt) or silver (.999), melting it into rounds (without refinement) will only give you questionable value rounds and unlikely to bring good prices. If not keeping the jewelry, then a refiner (Apmex, ARA etc) would be your best option. Cheers, RickO >>

I think mrpaseo meant he would plan to sell any found jewelry and use the proceeds to purchase silver rounds imageimage. Or perhaps I misread the OP.... >>

That's what I meant image, sell the jewelry then use the proceeds to purchase rounds.

Thanks.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes to what pcgs said. if you sell to a jeweler then go over to the coin store if needed. the best bang for the buck these days.