Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof Like Peace Dollar

Going through the safety deposit box and came across a coin that always makes me smile.

It is as close to Proof Like Peace dollars as one is realistically going to find with full mirrors on the Obv and decent Mirrors on the Rev as well although not as strong as the Obv. The die shows heavy die polishing and is one of only two Date & MM combos that have been certified PL by either NGC or ANACS to my knowledge (26-s and 34-d). This is assuredly the same die and polishing event that the handful of other 26-s came from. While not to say it is anything close to a Morgan DMPL it is completely devoid of cartwheel and can look flat from certain angles and quite flashy from others with a few inches of depth to the Obv mirrors, more a late Morgan brillant PL than the early back and white ones. Here is a good picture from TOMB that captures the overall look and die polish with a poor Iphone shot that shows a little bit of the flash. It is a very hard coin to shoot. Just thought I would share a coin one doesn't come across every day.

Comments

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!!!
    Thanks for sharing this one..
    Not something one sees every day for sure.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I haven't see to mean Peace with luster/mirrors like that. image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! They don't come like that very often.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love any "proof" Peace Dollar. Yours is especially of note since the Peace proofs were reportedly of a satin finish. Assume that polishing the dies as you hypothesized was done for your coin would result in the more traditional mirrored proof effect?

I have a 1921 Satin Proof Peace dollar that I really like (PR62) so know where you are coming from.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...very nice... that is one I would buy.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of Dan Carr's 1964 fantasy Peace dollars were produced with full cameo proof finish and they are quite beautiful. Perhaps someone who has one can show us a pic for comparison purposes.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Some of Dan Carr's 1964 fantasy Peace dollars were produced with full cameo proof finish and they are quite beautiful. Perhaps someone who has one can show us a pic for comparison purposes. >>

Thanks for that factoid. Just located Carr's website with details (dc-coin.com) but shows his sold out. Per site only 1,964 were minted using for the restrikes actual Peace dollars of different dates that were then restruck on a surplus Denver coin press. I guess we now know why the mint strikes through or destroys its unused dies today. Carr does post a photo. Curious what he sold them for new as I see they are now being offered for $345 on the secondary market as BIN price.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Pretty Coin..................image
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Coin. Very Nice Strike.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Very nice and near unique surfaces.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Gotta love any "proof" Peace Dollar. Yours is especially of note since the Peace proofs were reportedly of a satin finish. Assume that polishing the dies as you hypothesized was done for your coin would result in the more traditional mirrored proof effect?

I have a 1921 Satin Proof Peace dollar that I really like (PR62) so know where you are coming from. >>

The dies were polished (lapped) to correct a clashing event or rust or something. What ever the purpose of the resurfacing it was clearly done and deep into the die causing the mirror effect after polishing off the original textures.

I bet your proof is a special coin indeed. I make to pretenses to this coin being a proof, just an interesting BS that is hard to find with reflective surfaces.
  • Options

<< <i>Going through the safety deposit box and came across a coin that always makes me smile.

It is as close to Proof Like Peace dollars as one is realistically going to find with full mirrors on the Obv and decent Mirrors on the Rev as well although not as strong as the Obv. The die shows heavy die polishing and is one of only two Date & MM combos that have been certified PL by either NGC or ANACS to my knowledge (26-s and 34-d). This is assuredly the same die and polishing event that the handful of other 26-s came from. While not to say it is anything close to a Morgan DMPL it is completely devoid of cartwheel and can look flat from certain angles and quite flashy from others with a few inches of depth to the Obv mirrors, more a late Morgan brillant PL than the early back and white ones. Here is a good picture from TOMB that captures the overall look and die polish with a poor Iphone shot that shows a little bit of the flash. It is a very hard coin to shoot. Just thought I would share a coin one doesn't come across every day.
    image >>

In 1926, I believe, they reworked the "GOD" in "In God We Trust'. It is obviously different than previous issues. It really stands out IMO
    Just do it.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>
    In 1926, I believe, they reworked the "GOD" in "In God We Trust'. It is obviously different than previous issues. It really stands out IMO >>

It wasn't reworked so much as it was strengthened on the hub so it affected all of te 1926 dies and coins issued.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Coolimage
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    <<<<
    In 1926, I believe, they reworked the "GOD" in "In God We Trust'. It is obviously different than previous issues. It really stands out IMO >>

It wasn't reworked so much as it was strengthened on the hub so it affected all of te 1926 dies and coins issued. >>

1926 was the year after the famous Scopes Monkey trial which stirred up some religeous fervor.

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Great looking Peace dollar. I don't have anything like that in my sdb.

Mike
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of Dan Carr's 1964 fantasy Peace dollars were produced with full cameo proof finish and they are quite beautiful. Perhaps someone who has one can show us a pic for comparison purposes. >>

(Not my coin)

• Options

<< <i>

(Not my coin)

image >>

Thanks. That is a much better photo than the one on Carr's website to which I had referred to above. I can see how the overstrike could be a little bit annoying when it does not line up. I wonder if other examples were more on target? The obverse is the side I am referencing as the reverse seems to be spot on. Maybe only the obverse was overstruck?? There actually would have been less need to mess with the reverse since a date was not being altered and added. It still would have had to be overstruck though to get the proof effect from the dies.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    The fields are deep in this one. Pics don't do it justice.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin Crypto!
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1922-D NGC MS-64 *

Significant reflectivity and even some cameo contrast on the reverse.

PS: "necro-post"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file