Home Metal Detecting
Options

It took 41 silver coins, but first silver quarter of year shows up!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Silver #40 of the year came today as a 1961 Roosie. Kept hoping a silver quarter would eventually show, but as it was getting dark, was losing hope. Fortunately one showed up! 1945. HH all!

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, making me want to get out there image What's the count? (How many dimes/Quarters) or how much Silver weight have you found this year? It would be interesting to watch the dollar value of the Silver that you found image

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great...silver quarters seem to be a rare find... well, at least not common... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

<< <i>Very nice, making me want to get out there image What's the count? (How many dimes/Quarters) or how much Silver weight have you found this year? It would be interesting to watch the dollar value of the Silver that you found image

Best,
    Ray >>

mrpaseo, you should definitely be out there detecting! I was out for a few hours today (will post finds later), and it was so hot. What a difference a week makes. Was in the 40s last weekend, and today it's over 90. Talk about two extremes. Let's see if I can break out this year so far (as of yesterday, wink wink. might have increased today):

2- Canada 5¢ coins
    12 Wartime Nickels
    1 Barber Dime
    17 Mercury Dimes
    8 Silver Roosies
    1 Silver Washington Quarter
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    40 silvers, and the year less than halfway through?

Wow!

Even in my active days, I could never match that.

Best I had was five in one day. Twice. (One of those times it was five in the same hole.)

I'd have to look at my totals to see what my best yearly take was. I've kept records and a cumulative silver count since 1992.

I'm only up to ... umm... 191 silvers total, since then.

Cool that you keep records. I find that makes it more fun. That way, even when you dig a date you've already found multiples of (say, 1946 Roosies, for example- I think I've got six of those by now), then you can still add one to the count each time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>40 silvers, and the year less than halfway through?

Wow!

Even in my active days, I could never match that.

Best I had was five in one day. Twice. (One of those times it was five in the same hole.)

I'd have to look at my totals to see what my best yearly take was. I've kept records and a cumulative silver count since 1992.

I'm only up to ... umm... 191 silvers total, since then.

Cool that you keep records. I find that makes it more fun. That way, even when you dig a date you've already found multiples of (say, 1946 Roosies, for example- I think I've got six of those by now), then you can still add one to the count each time. >>

Yes, it's vital to keep good records. This way you can look back and find what you found on each day at each place, and get a detailed account of change totals, anything neat, etc. Do you have a breakout on what your 191 silvers are? What's your oldest silver coin?

From 1995 to 2002, my dad and I found around 94 silver coins (at least 91, but the final few I never added to the list). This doesn't include the several that were stolen when we were robbed in 1994 - there was one 3¢ silver (the only one I ever found), a seated dime, and several other silvers. I took a break from halfway through 2002 to 2008, with just a couple weeks detecting in 2006 or so. Since getting back into detecting in 2009, 385 silver coins have been added to that total.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you have a breakout on what your 191 silvers are? What's your oldest silver coin? >>

Yes, and for a while I had a list posted here, but the thread went bad. I need to update it. Basically, in any given one of my 20-pocket pages, the bulk of the "keeper" coins will be your usual silver Roosies and Mercs, but each page will usually have something interesting, too (a piece of Spanish silver, a cool token or two, an Oregon Trail half, etc.)

My oldest silver coin is a 1776 Mexico City half-real. Oldest with a readable date, anyway. I have a 1770s 1-real that got carved into a very crude love token (initials "SD" on it, as I recall), but that's the oldest silver. My oldest coin overall was a 1658 Spanish 4-maravedis piece found at an old mission site, until I eyeballed that ca. 395 AD Roman coin on a colonial site a couple of years ago.

I won't be setting my date back unless I get a pretty early Roman while in England, or... a Celtic gold stater. That would be something.

I haven't crossed the gold coin threshold yet. Found a couple of gold rings and a tiny charm or two, but that's it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great...silver quarters seem to be a rare find... well, at least not common... Cheers, RickO

That's right.Out of the 13 silvers I've found since 3/29 (first day out) only one has been a quarter.I did find my third half-dollar (on 5/11) since taking the hobby of dirt fishing up again almost five years ago (in October 2008).

The half was a '17 and very well-worn.I've been stuck on 13 for awhile now.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

<< <i>Great...silver quarters seem to be a rare find... well, at least not common... Cheers, RickO

That's right.Out of the 13 silvers I've found since 3/29 (first day out) only one has been a quarter.I did find my third half-dollar (on 5/11) since taking the hobby of dirt fishing up again almost five years ago (in October 2008).

The half was a '17 and very well-worn.I've been stuck on 13 for awhile now.image >>

Stuck on lucky 13! Your 1917 WLH may be worn but she's much better than a 1964 roosie! Big silver is scarce and pulling a half dollar out of the ground is magical. Your slump will end soon!