Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got home from the TNA Show in Ft. Worth... with an awesome IHC cherrypick!- UPDATE: PCGS Grade

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got back to Austin from the show. It wasn't as busy as I expected, but the dealers I knew there all said they were doing good business. I like going to this show, because a lot of the dealers bring coins in 2X2's, which is what I like looking through. It's almost as big as the Money Show in Houston, but isn't a 'sea of plastic' like the Money Show is. Anyway, I successfully made my biggest IHC cherrypick there- I've found several examples of this variety, but all were low grade. I also found my third off-center 2000 Wide-AM Lincoln cent, so all in all, it was a great show. The IHC is 1887 Snow-1 DDO:

Anyway, it's off to a comfortable bath in acetone overnight, and then a trip to our hosts for grading. Any opinions on the grade? I'm thinking VF-30 - 35, and I'm hoping the scuff on the rim doesn't keep it from straight grading (it looks a million times worse in these pics than in hand).
You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats...but aren't you supposed to be looking for the following Mercs in MS FB Top Pop? image

1934-D/D FS-501
    1941 DDO FS-101
    1942-Inverted S FS-501
    1945 DDO FS-101
    1945-D/D FS-506
    1945-S/S FS-503
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats...but aren't you supposed to be looking for the following Mercs in MS FB Top Pop? image

1934-D/D FS-501
    1941 DDO FS-101
    1942-Inverted S FS-501
    1945 DDO FS-101
    1945-D/D FS-506
    1945-S/S FS-503 >>

I looked at a TON of mercs today, but didn't find anything worth buying... Trust me- those are all on my radar. image
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I looked at a TON of mercs today, but didn't find anything worth buying... Trust me- those are all on my radar. image >>

My cold black heart has been warmed...but only temporarily. I need my fix! imageimage
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Congrats on the find.

Acetone is a must. Or Xylene. Unless that's verdigris. There are treatments for that too, that PCGS won't complain about unless it's fresh and you use Secure Plus. I've used VerdiCare on many regular submissions without problem.
    Lance.
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Very nice indeed!
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice! Congrats on the find.

Acetone is a must. Or Xylene. Unless that's verdigris. There are treatments for that too, that PCGS won't complain about unless it's fresh and you use Secure Plus. I've used VerdiCare on many regular submissions without problem.
    Lance. >>

I have a product called 'Verdi-Gone'- is that the same thing?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find!

Please post before and after pics after treatment with either of the verdegris products listed!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had fun and a pickers job is never done, Congrats on the score........Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Lance. >>

I have a product called 'Verdi-Gone'- is that the same thing? >>

Probably. I see it also appears in the video about the sniffer. Not sure why it should be a concern since it is 100% water soluble and should be easily washed off.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Lance. >>

Yes.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool good pick.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice catch.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool double die cherrypick!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lance. >>

Yes.
    Lance. >>

One more question- in your experience, what is a good length of time to soak in Verdi-Gone? I accidentally forgot about a coin I had in it overnight once, and it is now a very ugly beige...
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Nice cherry pick... Tough coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coool pick up
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got one of those back from PCGS that graded VF35, I'll try to take it out in the next couple of days and grab a photo for you to compare. PCGS was super-tough with the Indian varieties I sent them, two coins ended up in Genuine holders for corrosion that I felt should have graded with ease. If I were you I'd make sure you have the coin clear of any hint of PVC before sending it in.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was one of my favorite varieties when doing IHC's - congrats on the cherrypick - mine was retail.... image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • Options
    UPDATE- The grades were just posted, and it was graded VF-35 by our hosts!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pick and the grade. A good'un for sure.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>UPDATE- The grades were just posted, and it was graded VF-35 by our hosts! >>

Congrats, let me know if you decide to auction it off and I'll offer mine to the underbidder. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file