Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photos of my once in a lifetime find - 1968-S PR70 DCAM Roosevelt UPDATE: The coin has been placed.

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
My recent score of a 1968-S PR70 DCAM Roosevelt Dime has been discussed in this thread. I figured I'd start a new thread with my photos of the coin which is now in hand.

It is quite a treat to be able to be the caretaker of this one of a kind gem for a time.

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. By far the nicest I have seen. I'd keep it safely tucked away.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of these,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT I gotta say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HOOOOOOWEEE! HUBBA HUBBA!image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint sure only made a couple of those. They were really just learning to work the proofs in the new clad material back then.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeeeoooowzaa! image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great eye you got. Keep us posted on your sale!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing proof. I would have never guessed they were that rare. I don't know much about modern issues, and it was a treat reading the thread about this coin. Congrats, you work hard at it. image
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking '68 dime. I sure hope it doesn't develop milk spots.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the pictures in this thread better than the pics you posted in the other thread. The third pic in this thread really shows the coin well. The obverse is simply off the charts.

Do you have any lower grade PCGS examples of this coin that you could compare the 70DCAM against? If so, please post side by side photos so we forumites can see for ourselves if there is a clear difference between a 70DCAM and a lesser DCAM (i.e. 68 or 69 DCAM).

Further how does the obverse frost on your new dime compare to the obverse frost on your 1956 DCAM quarter ICON coin? I have a 1957 quarter with obverse frost that is equal in thickness and intensity to your 70DCAM dime.

Again, congrats.

BTW, are the purchase offers flowing into your PM box yet?
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Congrats to you!!!
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great looking '68 dime. I sure hope it doesn't develop milk spots. >>

Well, it's had 45 years to do so and hasn't yet...
    _______

Stunning coin! Looks like it was minted yesterday.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a nice coin! I am shocked PCGS didn't take a picture of it. Maybe they don't think it is all that rare??

What price are you hoping for? (Dream price?)
  • Options
    DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    Sell it for as much as you can get. Over 3,000,000 sets were minted and the no s dime is what collectors were looking for. Now they will be trying to hit the jackpot like you did with a 70 DCAM. BTW gorgeous coin.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me want to collect them.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, you can tell instantly by looking at the pics that this is a special coin. It does indeed scream it.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats, you can tell instantly by looking at the pics that this is a special coin. It does indeed scream it. >>

Exactly what I was thinking! Congrats again on a great find.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, real special eye candy!
    Congrats!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Wow, very beautiful coin! Congrats!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really surprised to NOT see it in Coin Facts as I would have thought a picture for the first 70dcam a must. Love the coin and thanks for the pictures...Congrats on a great score again.....Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put it in a major auction and take your profit.

In the end it is just a condition rarity of a very, very common coin. Fortunately, it is in PCGS plastic so you should do well if you do sell it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!image
    Becky
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

I too was surprised PCGS didn't pull it for a TrueView or CoinFacts photo...it amazes me that their system doesn't somehow flag coins like this to be photographed. I believe any appearance of the frost fading on the reverse is just an artifact of my photo.

SanctionII - It's difficult to compare the frost on a dime like this to the frost on my avatar coin, as you well know the frost on nickel or cupronickel clad is quite different from the frost on a silver coin. It is the heaviest frost I've seen on any clad coin of the era; though I did also make a PR68DCAM on a 1968 Quarter in the same submission also. The fields on this dime are truly exceptionally deep.

I've spoken with a couple well respected board members about assisting me with in the sale of the coin...I expect to make a decision on placement within the next week. I've developed a pretty good opinion on an appropriate price range...though I don't want to "contaminate" the market with a public dialogue on that topic before it is time.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... awesome coin.... Thanks for sharing...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, a truly exceptional coin. In the full-slab shots, that coin does look like something special.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    simply superb and an epic find. I would guess this coin hammers in the lower 5 figures.
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Wow very sweet...

Just curious how many sets do you think you have looked at? How many hours invested? How many years and shows? How many near misses?

Selling it seems a bit sad and anti-climatic, though I certainly understand and would likely do the same thing.

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the comments everyone.

I too was surprised PCGS didn't pull it for a TrueView or CoinFacts photo...it amazes me that their system doesn't somehow flag coins like this to be photographed. >>

It does, and I've been trying to figure out why I didn't get it for photo. Perhaps it's due to the fact that it was submitted under the Modern service level; I don't typically get condition census coins that are submitted under Modern. I'll ask our IT staff what our paramaters are and if we need to expand them.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to judge any 70 from a photo and doubly so for a proof but this coin
    does have that snap indicative of a coin from a brand new die. It looks like it's
    in the first five or six anyway. Very nice!.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint sure only made a couple of those. They were really just learning to work the proofs in the new clad material back then.

not necessarily true, the clad composition is the same as the standard Nickel composition so the Mint knew how to strike them, they just didn't really have a good method for preparing the dies. that continued until about 1974-76.
  • Options
    It's been requested that I post a comparison of this coin with a comparable 68 or 69 DCAM. Here is a 1969-S PCGS PR68 DCAM that I have.

Edit: to add a Coin Facts photo of a 69 DCAM

• Options
    I would say that the two photographs of the 68DCAM dime and the 70DCAM dime illustrate a very real, tangible difference between the two grades (wonder what a 69DCAM would look like).

The difference lies primarily between the degree of the contrast between the frosted devices and the mirrored fields. The fields on the 70DCAM look deeper and blacker than on the 68DCAM. Plus the frost is heavier and thicker on the 70DCAM than it is on the 68DCAM.

So when it comes to clad DCAM proofs, 68 DCAMS are no longer "worthy".
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, you can not always rely on the Coinfacts pics everytime to pick up the wonderful contrast (e.g. quite possibly that PR69DCAM 69-S coin snapped the way it was snapped).

Case in point ... I own one of the DEEPEST CAMEO proof Lincoln cents (1936-1942) imagineable. The coin appears to be not just cameo but full DCAM. The contrast is simply amazing. Now, take a look at the Coinfacts pic of my coin (coming in my next posting).

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

I mentioned to Coinfacts that my coin has a DCAM contrast that looks like it is snowing out on Christmas Day. It graded PR67CAM (finest known pop 2/0). I told them their pic hardly shows contrast at all (at least to me) and asked if they would like me to bring the coin back to their offices to snap a better picture of the cameo contrast! They told me they actually like their pic very much for a PR67CAM Lincoln Cent. So, there you have it.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    see below

Wondercoin
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man that is Gorgeous!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

image Must have been a PM offer. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    This second 1942 Lincoln Cent pic is a coin graded 3 points lower than my PR67CAM coin in the first pic. Yet, the Coinfacts pic appears to show a coin with much greater contrast than the PR67CAM in the first pic.

Point 1 - Especially with moderns (which these Lincoln cents are not obviously), the contrast has little to do with the numerical grade ... they are (2) distinct pieces of the final grade of a coin. Of course, the contrast can help along "eye appeal" which is a component of the grade. But, in the case of moderns, it generally does not from my experience. And, certainly a PR69DCAM coin is not moving up to PR70DCAM perfection due to amazing contrast.

Point 2 - You must see the coins in hand. My PR67CAM from that first pic has more contrast in hand than is showing in this second pic of the PR64CAM coin.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Just looked at Wondercoin's photos of his two 1942 Cameo Proof Lincoln cents. Gorgeous coins.

Now if only someone could put together a 6 coin 1942 proof set that has all six coins in Cameo. That would be something to see (not possible due to the absence of any Cameo quarter from this era of proof coinage).

So, any update from Modcrewman on his new Top Pop?
  • Options
    I'm now ready to provide an update.

I agreed to terms of a sale with James Sego (segoja) last night, for private placement with a client of his.

I've been asked to not disclose the selling price, but I believe I was able to get strong money for the coin. The price was perhaps less than could have been netted in auction, but enough to induce me to avoid the delay and uncertainty of going to auction and never second guess my decision.

I'd met James for the first time at the Central States show in April and my show report described him as "a true gentlemen of numismatics". Having now put together what in my world is a very substantial deal with James, my first impression has been confirmed. He was up front with me from the start and always kept his client's best interest at the forefront in our negotiations.

The coin has been placed in the ErasmusHall registry...which I didn't actually know until I just confirmed it's placement on the certificate verification page. It appears that he now shares the top spot in the 1965-Present Proof Roosevelt Dime Registry as a result of adding this coin. Congratulations to him.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Congrats. I've always had good dealings with Mr. Sego on here, never met him though.

I'm sure the recipient is more than happy.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to all parties. It certainly is one beautiful gem of a coin.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to everyone involved here. As from the perspective of my collection the coin is equivalent to a PR69, James would have been my first choice for placing it in a collection. I've never seen or known him to be anything other than a straight shooter.
  • Options
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file