Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins Imaged

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Very good work by the folks ATS in my opinion. Very pleased. These images will allow for better display of the coins on the Taler Universe website.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Are these official NGC images? Man, they've come a long way since their $3 lusterless and dull scans. Beautiful images of excellent coins. And pricewise?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Yes it is from NGC. Not sure as to the market pricing yet. I had enquired about such possibility given the void in imaging service and this was really their request for feedback which I appreciated on the lot which is currently there for grading.

TPGs and auction houses are the natural service providers to image coins that pass through their hands.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - well done to them on their images!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice images, more on the realistic side than our host photos. (not critisizing anyone here) Out of the holder photos would be even better.

Very nice coins Zohar!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy moly, those are kickass images. Coins are ok too. image

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality of the images is way better than the last time I paid NGC for that service a year or so ago. image
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goodness what stunning shots!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Those are very nice shots Z, it will be interesting to see what they decide to charge.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    TPGs and auction houses are the natural service providers to image coins that pass through their hands.

So true!
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    They have certainly come a long way in their photography skills. Nice hardware Zohar.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    simply beautiful image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, those coins are just amazing Zohar!!

Now, on to the photo quality, I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I think the images are just okay. One thing that I don't understand at all is why on earth they still image the coins while they are already in the holder. The only benefit of having a TPG image coins, and yes I mean only, is that they can image the coins outside of the holder at the same time they are being graded or re-holdered. That being said, PCGS images coins outside of the holder but in a very cartoonish and completely non-realistic looking manner. I get that Phil has a background in the visual arts, and he treats each coin as a little "piece of artwork" (his words not mine), but the images simply don't look like the coin at 99% of the viewing angles in hand. Now, I will say, the guys at NGC at least make the coins look like they realistically look in hand in these images you have posted.

There are many photographers here on these boards who can take just as good if not better shots than the NGC (and PCGS) ones for the $$. Among them are blu62vette, robec, lkeigwin, etc.

Zohar, I'm also curious, what size options did NGC give you? Did they give you separate obverse and reverse images at something like 600x600 pixels or larger?

I look forward to hearing more about the pricing for this service, and what all is included.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coins! image

Were any of these previously TrueView'd by chance? It would be fun to compare the different photo styles.

Like brg, I love Phil's photography, but the way the TrueViews are done too often are GlamourShots in a Polaroid world. They're great eye candy for keeping in one's personal record. But I'd much prefer something like these above for sales. I think those pics from ATS are great. They show color, they give a good idea of the luster, and seem to have good detail. I'm sure they could be a little more showy, but as a proof of record and something to be used in sales, I would much rather have these.

How would you say those pics compare to the coins in hand? Do you think they're faithful enough while hitting the coins' strong points to get a good price if they were to be used in sales?
  • Options
    Reason they were not taken without the holder was due to the fact these were being regraded. In the general flow I assume imaging would come in while the coin is outside holder. I received high res images (2MB each) for each side of each coin.

• Options
    As an aside I think these are closer to reality in how they appeal compared with true view (which I have a couple of). True View is very appealing no doubt yet not truly reflective of coin appearance in hand.
  • Options

<< <i>Like brg, I love Phil's photography, but the way the TrueViews are done too often are GlamourShots in a Polaroid world. >>

Thanks, and that's a fair criticism. There's lots of different photographic possibilities when shooting a coin without a slab in the way. It's tough to say what a customer may be expecting in an image in which case; some love the glamor shots, some love something a bit more austere. Notes from the customer help in this case, and I can easily let customers choose particular shots thanks to dropbox for example. This type of feedback is useful and helps get consistent results.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting Phil.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Notes from the customer help in this case, and I can easily let customers choose particular shots thanks to dropbox for example. This type of feedback is useful and helps get consistent results. >>

This is great info, Phil. I didn't realize there was a possibility of a dialogue when it came to your images!
  • Options
    I am glad that TPGs are making this a key feature in their offering. This makes sense for pricier coins as price wise it would not make as much sense for lower cost pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Notes from the customer help in this case, and I can easily let customers choose particular shots thanks to dropbox for example. This type of feedback is useful and helps get consistent results. >>

This is great info, Phil. I didn't realize there was a possibility of a dialogue when it came to your images! >>

There sure is. It helps take out a lot of the guesswork, helps me learn, and keeps customers happy. I would like to photograph more thalers since I started out as a darksider, but I'm mainly focused on US coins for the most part.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man, they've come a long way since their $3 lusterless and dull scans >>

Yeah, I was pretty miffed after getting a large submission back that I'd paid the $3 a pop on. I could have done better with my scanner. Had I known NGC were gonna use something similar, I'd have saved the money and scanned them myself.

But surely these images cost more than the $3 tier, eh?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Had some success with the regrades:

Bumped from MS-61 to MS-62. This is a killer scarce Transylvania type and therefore a big win for me.

Bumped from MS-63 to MS-64.

Others remained at same grade.