Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

anyone for an 1888 P quarter ?

ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
if any of you here are bidding on this lot for the low mintage quarter, i suggest you save your money and buy a real one. i know there are people here that have said in the past that no one can tell a fake by the pictures.. (and we will never see them admit thier own error) but this one is a chinese fake.

link
regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    The Walkers he's selling are fakes also.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    glad you folks are around to protect the less coin savvy of us image
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Walkers he's selling are fakes also. >>

and are pretty poor fakes

I didn't know that they moved China to Kansas City.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    The description says it is an 1888 dime, not quarter.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The description says it is an 1888 dime, not quarter. >>

Look again.
    It's too big to be a dime.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Walkers he's selling are fakes also. >>

and are pretty poor fakes

I didn't know that they moved China to Kansas City. >>

I'm not sure which is worse the seller or the people who bid on this crap?
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    My point was that although a quarter is pictured the description calls it a dime! Just another red flag.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a heart break to see that. good eye for picking that up
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    he claims all of his coins have been tested by a local dealer, weights, alloy, reeding.. i wonder if the dealer he uses has any knowledge about anything.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of the Standing Liberty quarter he's got up there either although the picture is so poor it's hard to be sure. The date area appears to be the style of the 1925 - 1930 era, and Ms. Liberty looks like she might have had a breast augmentation.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My point was that although a quarter is pictured the description calls it a dime! Just another red flag. >>

Even if you were not sure, a photo of the back of the coin shows it is a quarter and not a dime.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>he claims all of his coins have been tested by a local dealer, weights, alloy, reeding.. i wonder if the dealer he uses has any knowledge about anything. >>

Obviously not. An obvious fake.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>he claims all of his coins have been tested by a local dealer, weights, alloy, reeding.. i wonder if the dealer he uses has any knowledge about anything. >>

I contacted the guy twice to inform him they were fakes. He says he's certain they are real based upon his years of experience (sure) collecting and selling coins.

Here is his response"

"good for you guys, if there was one spec off i would be in doubt but there isnt. if the weight and sizes are correct i'm gonna bet on REAL. i have collected all my life and seen real and fake, i'm not that nieve...people can return the coins i they have doubts or issues. ive collected,estated,and been passed down coins so unless there making all spec correct coins with sharp lines & images here in china kansas i have to disagree. i respect what your doing and your info but i cant disagree more with your assessment. is there any other facts you might or detections on certain coins you can so certainly claim?"

I guess he thinks the hardest thing about making counterfeits is making a planchet of the proper weight.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I contacted the guy twice to inform him they were fakes. He says he's certain they are real based upon his years of experience (sure) collecting and selling coins.

Here is his response"

"good for you guys, if there was one spec off i would be in doubt but there isnt. if the weight and sizes are correct i'm gonna bet on REAL. i have collected all my life and seen real and fake, i'm not that nieve...people can return the coins i they have doubts or issues. ive collected,estated,and been passed down coins so unless there making all spec correct coins with sharp lines & images here in china kansas i have to disagree. i respect what your doing and your info but i cant disagree more with your assessment. is there any other facts you might or detections on certain coins you can so certainly claim?"

I guess he thinks the hardest thing about making counterfeits is making a planchet of the proper weight. >>

And remember, he has "estated", so he must know what he's doing imageimage
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    someone is going to learn the hard way about fakes
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't know that they moved China to Kansas City. >>

I once exchanged messages with an eBay seller who said they were in the US and all listings said "location: United States" but during his messages he admitted the items were shipping from China. I pressed him to explain why and he claimed he had moved to China a few years prior, to open his own business there, and never updated his eBay profile.

The worst part is that I reported him to eBay (because it's a big violation of their policy, not to mention he's avoiding some of their fees) and they did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. This was about a year ago and he's still selling. And he does quite well.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file