Home U.S. Coin Forum

I have a fun idea for my PCGS - 8 "freebies"

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I have a few nice coins that I'd like to get graded with my recent membership renewal, but I do not have 8 raw pieces to send in.
I have a few unopened proof sets, 1952, 53, 54 & 55.
I'm thinking about sending in an entire box, having all 5 graded and maybe get a nice surprise in a few weeks once they're graded.
I would think PCGS would be OK with me sending them in like that, don't you?

Has anyone here tried this before? I should probably do the research and see just which proofs are most valuable in 66 or better.
I assume it would be the 1952 date. A Cameo or deep cam sure would be a nice surprise once the grades posted.

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1952 would hands down offer the most potential for a nice score. I can't imagine PCGS having a problem with that...other than the "risk" that they could impart hairlines to the coins when removing them from the brittle cellophane.

Interesting idea...unfortunately, it's also possible you'll end up with 5 63's or 64's. Let us know how you turn out if you go with it.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be interesting... hope you get a real winner... let us know... Cheers, RickO
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be classic if one came back "cleaned" or "Questionable Color". image
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you could walk out the door and throw the voucher in the street. It is yours to do what you want with.
    But I actually think it is a terrible idea. They are not free you paid a bunch extra for the membership with gradings use them for what you paid for them.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well you could walk out the door and throw the voucher in the street. It is yours to do what you want with.
    But I actually think it is a terrible idea. They are not free you paid a bunch extra for the membership with gradings use them for what you paid for them. >>

Hence the word "freebies" written in quotes. I'm not quite following your logic.
    Chances are good that there are some nice, higher end proofs in an original box. The value is there if even one coin grades PF67 or multiple 66's.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're in their original shipping boxes, you should get guidance for First Strike™ before sending them in.
  • cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    Brian, I would think you should open them and choose which eight to submit, I would trust PCGS will know they are original. I too thought the "Free" designation on the order status page was inappropriate, and apparently they thought so too, as sometime in the last year they have since chosen to classify these as " CC Voucher".
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not quite following your logic. >>

I mean in most cases older proofs need a bath in acetone to get rid of haze before being submitted.image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you could get slabs that said, "straight from original box" or something, the probability is high that you'll be disappointed with the results.

The coins will most likely need some kind of dip to maximize the grades. It might be a fun experiment, but odds are, you or someone will crack them back out of the holders because they will not be attractive coins

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't do that. I would open all of the proof sets and see if any of them are worthy of going in then that item would likely need a quick bath before the road trip. Then I would find a couple of other items to make the trip...or just the 5 best out of all of the proof sets and go that route. Good luck with whatever you decided though!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    it's better odds then the lotto, go for the randomness image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>it's better odds then the lotto, go for the randomness image >>

works for me image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file