Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anybody busting any 2013 Topps Baseball Archives?

If so, I'd love to see some scans and results!

I've been browsing other forums, and it appears to be a pretty good product as far as inserts and autographs.

Comments

• Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Yes, it's like a fun one. Some have commented negatively on the years they selected to reprint.

Although, I am not really a fan of anything after '86.

I remember opening a lot of the '82 packs, and the going back a year or two later looking for the Ripken rookies, good memories.

Hobby box price point concerns me a bit. The presell was higher than going rate for Archives Football.

Which I always thought that you locked in the lower price with Pre-sell.

• Options

Probably start checking the local Wal-Mart
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The hobby box toppers and redemptions (and hobby case toppers - original Topps player contracts) are driving this item.
    I'm probably at least going to look for retail of this and Score FB this weekend, if not hit up a hobby shop.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely hate it that Topps is running these "retro" card styles in the friggin ground. It is a good thing to have retro, but too much is not good. If they want the 1969 Topps style, can't everybody wait until the Heritage gets there in 2018? Heritage I love. All of this other stuff, I do not.

Shane

• Options
    pre ordered two hobby boxes of this 3 months ago from dacardworld. Will actually open it. Being on off hobby guy this looked the most interesting with the old and new players and old new designes. Going for the Axl Rose auto cards image
  • Options

Jumbo pack from Walmart:

Look like as much fun as the Football. Not sure why they are were released so close to each other- image

• Options

Thought Reggie was a Yankee that year-
  • Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    I believe Jackson was in the 1982 Topps Traded Set as an Angel.

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options

Yes, that's right, memories
  • Options
    NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭
    No pictures yet, as I did a "YouTube box break style" break via an online retailer, but I got some cool cards:

Mini Miguel Cabrera printing plate (1/1)
    Bob Gibson Box Topper (don't remember the numbers but I think it was to 99)
    Can't remember the four autos :-( ... (they were THAT good lol)
  • Options
    Love the photo for that Bryce Harper card!
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    I'm on the other side of the fence for this one...Heritage to me has become extremely boring over the past few years. I totally dig the fan favorite autos (and they're not impossible to pull), the inserts are WAY better than Heritage, and the overall rip is just much more fun in my opinion. To each their own of course....
  • Options

<< <i>I'm on the other side of the fence for this one...Heritage to me has become extremely boring over the past few years. I totally dig the fan favorite autos (and they're not impossible to pull), the inserts are WAY better than Heritage, and the overall rip is just much more fun in my opinion. To each their own of course.... >>

I agree. I will continue on with Heritage because they are going into the years I had as a kid, but as far as opening packs, Archives is much better.

Heritage should incorporate some of the inserts.... instead of the standard subsets that get real stale fast. The cool stuff in Heritage is too rare.

But, anyway... this is an Archives thread...

Wal-mart Blaster inserts:

• Options

Opened a couple more packs from Wal-mart.

May have to go hobby for the Fan favorite Autos:

• Options

According to the Blaster box-

Relics are 1 /42

Fan favorites are 1 /62

Someone may have beat me to the Auto box image
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the concept of putting current players on different retro designed cards and I think it's a neat I idea. I don't understand Topps way of thinking on cards like the Sierra and Knight? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm on the other side of the fence for this one...Heritage to me has become extremely boring over the past few years. I totally dig the fan favorite autos (and they're not impossible to pull), the inserts are WAY better than Heritage, and the overall rip is just much more fun in my opinion. To each their own of course.... >>

I agree. I will continue on with Heritage because they are going into the years I had as a kid, but as far as opening packs, Archives is much better.

Heritage should incorporate some of the inserts.... instead of the standard subsets that get real stale fast. The cool stuff in Heritage is too rare.

But, anyway... this is an Archives thread...

Wal-mart Blaster inserts:

image >>

How do those stained glass inserts look in person??
  • Options

<< <i>I understand the concept of putting current players on different retro designed cards and I think it's a neat I idea. I don't understand Topps way of thinking on cards like the Sierra and Knight? image >>

Those are the 201-245 short print fan favorites.

They are the ones that are also part of the fan favorite autos.

The last forty are a variety of Topps cards, no real rhyme or reason to the design. Never got into that concept, as the end of the set is a mish mash of designs.

• Options

The Gallery of Heroes card is acrylic. Looks like stain glass held to the light. Different, interesting.

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    how come anything worth over 40 bucks are in the packs as redemptions?
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found out that Mike Greenwell has a card (cards?) in this set so if anyone pulls one and is looking to sell PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP shoot me a PM. Muchas gracias!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in any gold parallel /199s anyone would like to sell
  • Options
    Love that 83 Fisk card! For trade?
  • Options
    Configuration: 24 packs per box. 8 cards per pack.

WE LOVE THE '80's! The '70's and '90's were also pretty sweet. Archives Baseball is a celebration of baseball cards from these epic eras. It features Fan Favorites from yesterday on classic Topps designs. The 2013 edition is filled with a number of the most beloved Topps designs and unique twists that pay homage to these times. STAY YOUNG!

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
    - Every Box will include 2 On-card autographs!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

BASE CARDS (200 subjects)
    Featuring Retired Stars, Veterans and Top Rookies
    - 1972 Topps Design / Card Numbers 1 - 5 0
    - 1982 Topps Design / Card Numbers 51 - 100
    - 1985 Topps Design / Card Numbers 101 - 15 0
    - 1990 Topps Design / Card Numbers 151 - 200
    - 201-250 Fan Favorites Short Prints (1:4)

Fan Favorites Autographs
    - Cards featuring classic Topps designs with an all new photo from the era, with an on-card autograph.

Triple Autograph
    Featuring players from the '70s / '80s / '90s.

Topps Originals
    - Vintage cards will be signed and numbered to 10 and include a Topps Originals foil-stamped logo. HOBBY ONLY

Framed Autographed 1973 Minis
    - Cards will be signed on-card on the 1973 design. Subjects include reprints as well as current stars. #'d to 25. HOBBY ONLY

1960 Topps Relic Cards
    - Featuring both active and retired stars with a unique die cut.

Cut Signatures
    - Celebrities from the 1980s

Mini Tall Boys
    - Modeled after the 1965 Topps football design. Featuring both active and retired MLB players. NEW!
    - Autographs Fan Favorites sign on card. #'d to 25

1969 4-in-1 stickers
    4 subjects per card, featuring active & retired players NEW!

Active and retired MLB players are featured on the 1972 Topps Basketball design NEW!

1983 Topps All-Stars
    - Modeled after the 1983 Topps All-Star subset 1983 All-Star Card NEW!
    - Autographs Featuring sticker autographs. #'d to 5 or less

Topps Originals - Vintage Topps buybacks.

Topps Originals Redemption - These cards can be redeemed for original cards, packs and complete sets

Topps Vault Redemption - These redemptions will be good for items from the Topps Vault.

Insert Printing Plates - HOBBY ONLY!

BOX LOADERS
    1971 Topps Greatest Moments #'d to 99
    - Autographs: Sticker autographs #'d to 10 or less

Case loaders
    - Topps contracts from the Topps Vault

Touched by Greatness
    - Showcasing the on-card handprint of some of the best MLB players.

PARALLEL CARDS
    Archives Gold
    - Gold Rainbow foilboard parallel. #'d to 199

Base Card Printing Plates
    - Printing plates of each base card subject. HOBBY ONLY!

ADDITIONS 1/3/13

Archives Baseball looks awesome and we are going to make it even better! In addition to the already-solicited product including amazing designs and awesome hits, we are going to completely knock it out of the park with the following BIG additions!

1998 Stadium Club Triumvirate Illuminator
    - Collect all 3 players from each team to complete the Triumvirate

Heavy Metal Autographs
    - Autographs featuring Heavy Metal rock stars from the '80's. Including Tommy Lee, Sebastian Bach and Dee Snider. NEW!

Real Metal Autographs
    - Printed on metal and #'d to 25. NEW!

Gallery Of Heroes
    - Gallery of Heroes. NEW!
  • Options

<< <i>Love that 83 Fisk card! For trade? >>

I'm building the set, if I find another one I will let you know.

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I am going after this set a little farther down the road when prices drop as they usually do. The only way to go on this product are hobby boxes. Two autos per box and a chance at some nice selling Heavy Metal cards. (Axl Rose auto redemptions going for alot, but will they get signed?). I got in a case break with an online retailer and had the Cubs and Padres. I got 3 auto out of the case. Jody Davis, Lee Smith and Benito Santiago.

The big hits are few and far between in this product but I love the affordable autographs. Very fun to collect.
  • Options

<< <i>I am going after this set a little farther down the road when prices drop as they usually do. The only way to go on this product are hobby boxes. Two autos per box and a chance at some nice selling Heavy Metal cards. (Axl Rose auto redemptions going for alot, but will they get signed?). I got in a case break with an online retailer and had the Cubs and Padres. I got 3 auto out of the case. Jody Davis, Lee Smith and Benito Santiago.

The big hits are few and far between in this product but I love the affordable autographs. Very fun to collect. >>

Would be interested in the Santiago if you want to move it.
  • Options
    COOL ! They have arrived.

• Options
    Whole Box:

• Options

Great Scan....

Topps Vault.....what are the odds on that?

Very curious to see what you get there..
  • Options

<< <i>Great Scan....

Topps Vault.....what are the odds on that?

Very curious to see what you get there.. >>

I think there was one per box in the case rip I was in.

• Options

Oh...one per box?

So it's like the box topper in Heritage, a low card common? I hope it's better than that, but you shouldn't get your hopes up... image

Not sure what the "Vault" has in it.
  • Options
    One per box ? there goes the thought that I had a special one. Also have to take them in to a card store to redeem, can't send in. Will continue to post the pictures above as I open the packs.
  • Options
    This stuff is fun. Posting all pics in thread above.
  • Options
    From the Cardboard connection website....

A few things in 2013 Topps Archives Baseball don't look quite right. And it's meant to be that way. Five 2013 Topps Archives Baseball New Errors are an insert-variation hybrid that pays homage to a handful of notable mistakes from the past. Well, there are four errors and an updated version of an extremely rare card that wasn't intended to be distributed to the public.

Inserted 1:1,717 packs, the New Errors are tough to find. If you're flipping quickly through your cards, they can be easy to miss as well.

Below is a detailed look at each of the 2013 Topps Archives Baseball New Errors as well as the cards that inspired them.

2013 Topps Archives Baseball New Errors Guide

20 Jason Heyward

Based on: 1957 Topps Hank Aaron #20

The 1957 Topps Hank Aaron shows a flipped image of the power-hitting legend. Not only is Aaron standing wrong, but if you look closely you can see the four on the front of his jersey reversed as well. The 2013 Topps Archives New Errors Jason Heyward is much easier to spot. Both the writing on the front of his jersey and hat are clearly in the wrong direction.

400 Joey Votto

Based on: 1982 Topps Blackless Johnny Bench #400

For some mysterious reason, half of the 1982 Topps Baseball set has some rare Blackless variations that are missing black ink. Johnny Bench was one of them. The easiest way to spot most of these is the lack of facsimile signature. Joey Votto's New Errors card recreates this mistake.

414 Chris Sale

Based on: 1990 Topps Frank Thomas No Name on Front #414

The 1990 Topps Frank Thomas No Name on Front remains one of the hobby's greatest mysteries. It's also one of the most coveted early-90s cards, bolstered by the fact that it's an error centered on one of baseball's all-time greats. The mistake is simple: Thomas' name was left off the front of a handful of his cards. Chris Sale gets the same fate for his New Errors variation. The card also has the #1 Draft Pick icon, which isn't on his regular card.

497 Dylan Bundy

Based on: 1985 Topps Gary Pettis #497

That's not Dylan Bundy! And that's not Gary Pettis. The baseball card landscape is riddled with cards featuring someone other than the player named on the front. It's one of the most embarrassing of mistakes. In 1985, Topps put Gary Pettis' brother Lynn on his card. Likewise, the 2013 Topps Archives New Errors Dylan Bundy pictures the young pitcher's brother, Bobby Bundy, who is part of Baltimore's farm system. In a nod to the Pettis card, Bobby is resting his finger on his chin.

USA1 George W. Bush

Based on: 1990 Topps George Bush #USA1

In 1990, Topps produced a small run of cards for President Bush. They were a gift and not intended to be packed out. Although not an error, the card has become iconic given its rarity and back story. For 2013 Topps Archives Baseball, it's his son, George W. Bush, who gets the 1990 Topps treatment.
  • Options
    OK, posted the whole box pictured above. Interesting and fun stuff.

Do I win 'Most Colorful Post' award ?
  • Options
    I have another box coming in tomorrow - I'm hoping two will let me get a complete set of the 1-200 cards. If not, I might end up with a third box.

Here are the hits:

I really like the stained glass cards. I think I will try picking up a set of them.
  • Options
    The back of one of the pack wrappers says the following:

Topps Vault Redemption 1:27,000;

Well, I had one box opened online for me (waiting to get them in tomorrow to go over what all I got), but during the break I got a Vault Redemption, and I got a redemption in the box I just opened (see post above), so I'm pretty sure this has to be a typo. Either that or I'm incredibly lucky.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh...one per box?

So it's like the box topper in Heritage, a low card common? I hope it's better than that, but you shouldn't get your hopes up... image

Not sure what the "Vault" has in it. >>

probably those beat up commons that they used for the 50th Topps Anniversary, and then stamped them with the Topps foil logo....what a joke
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought a rack and a single pack to sample. Nothing special.

IMHO Topps needs to scale the retro products back. I'm sure it won't happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I have another box coming in tomorrow - I'm hoping two will let me get a complete set of the 1-200 cards. If not, I might end up with a third box.

Here are the hits:

I really like the stained glass cards. I think I will try picking up a set of them. >>

Interesting that the 65 minis show up quite frequently but that is the first basketball design I've seen.

They look pretty cool, but at one per box (at best), putting the set together would be a pain.

Wonder why they made those more scarce...

• Options
    2nd Box arrived today. I was able to complete a mini master set! If anybody needs cards, let me know, I have quite a few extras.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Love those Gold cards
  • Options
    Got my 3 hits today from the online case break I was in. I love building the entire autograph set.

• Options

<< <i>I could really use that Ripken in my collection....hint hint >>

if referring to the ripken i posted above, all yours, if you don't mind a top loader in a pwe with a stamp on an envelope. I'm not building the set so if any others of interest to anyone, let me know, may not have 'em left though. . A few of 'em are already gone and I'm keeping the autos/ruth/griffey's/trout/and a few other modern stars.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I could really use that Ripken in my collection....hint hint >>

if referring to the ripken i posted above, all yours, if you don't mind a top loader in a pwe with a stamp on an envelope. I'm not building the set so if any others of interest to anyone, let me know, may not have 'em left though. . A few of 'em are already gone and I'm keeping the autos/ruth/griffey's/trout/and a few other modern stars. >>

I can use the Pirates, especially the Stargell if you still have it. My tradelist is at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtFHoQGzsHwOdEFycGwyOVZnT2pPLVRUeWI0WW00ZVE#gid=0. PWE trades are fine with me.
    Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    is anyone collecting the autographed box toppers? they look pretty cool
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I have my eye on the heavy metal autographs. I think I may pick those up off of eBay. Not remotely baseball related but very cool.

Matt
  • Options
    I absolutely love this and last years release...and it makes you realize just how truly terrible Lineage was in 2011. So glad they finally got it right.