Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

questions about drapped bust gold

I'm sure this has been asked before.

As far as gold coins go drapped bust right gold is my alltime favorite and would like someday to own one
low grade would be fine (unless i hit the lottery.....yeah right).

How difficult would it be to put a small type set of these together(F/VF)?
And are there many avalible?

And and all thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure this has been asked before.

As far as gold coins go drapped bust right gold is my alltime favorite and would like someday to own one
    low grade would be fine (unless i hit the lottery.....yeah right).

How difficult would it be to put a small type set of these together(F/VF)?
    And are there many avalible?

And and all thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rick >>

I'm no expert but share your views on Draped Bust gold pieces. Great coins with great big prices!

A small type set of the three denominations with large and small eagles would be very difficult and very expensive regardless of grade. You'd likely need to skip the 1796 No Stars quarter-eagle unless you're patient and have deep pockets.

Good luck though! We all need a numismatic dream! image
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I haven't checked the populations of graded coins or the Heritage archives recently, but I'd say that you'll have real trouble finding lower-grade coins.

"Old Tenor" (pre-1834) US gold coins didn't circulate much, instead they were exported and melted.

Because the dollar was defined as a specific weight of gold (or silver), people were very fussy about receiving full-weight coins, so gold coins that showed circulation wear were generally sent back to the Mint for re-coining.

As a result, any circulated coins that were around were generally melted, while the coins that people tended to keep were the nicer coins.

Except for a very few circulated or damaged pieces, I'd say you're most likely to find AU or better examples for sale, with a few XFs.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are talking about the Capped Bust, Heraldic Eagle coins from the late 1790s to 1807, the only fairly common piece is the $5.00 gold piece. Even that piece will cost you a few thousand dollars in clean Fine condition if you can find one. As was said before these coins did not circulate that much so pieces in "no problem" Fine condition are not that easy to find.

Beyond that the $10.00 gold would be next easiest to find with quarter eagle after that. The easiest early quarter type is the With Stars Capped Bust (1796 - 1807) which really tells you something about how hard the early quarter eagles (1796 - 1834) are. You could easily have to spend $300,000 to $500,000 to get nice examples of the one type 1796 No Stars and 1808 quarter eagles.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file