Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quick question about PCGS on site grading at shows

Just a quick confirmation.. when you submit for on-site grading, is variety confirmation as well as TrueView always available on-site?

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not always, the show schedule should state if they are doing TruViews, not sure on varieties.

What show are you thinking about?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Chicago in August... I have a particular coin where variety is everything, and I'm already 200% sure of it, I just want it printed on the holder. I wouldn't even get it graded if I couldn't get that. TrueView would be nice, but is just a bonus.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chicago in August... I have a particular coin where variety is everything, and I'm already 200% sure of it, I just want it printed on the holder. I wouldn't even get it graded if I couldn't get that. TrueView would be nice, but is just a bonus. >>

That's a major show. I would be very surprised if they didn't have the full compliment of services available. Varieties might be the toughest though, especially if it one of the more esoteric varieties you are looking to have attributed.
  • Options
    It's not all that esoteric...it's a Capped bust half
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cheaper and safer option is to just drop it off for regular service at the show at normal prices for grading and other services. Even paying the shipping for it to come back home that usually saves money.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The cheaper and safer option is to just drop it off for regular service at the show at normal prices for grading and other services. Even paying the shipping for it to come back home that usually saves money. >>

image At the chicago show with a Variety and was told NOPE it has to go back to Newport Beach. And if you have a coin already in the pcgs holder and just want to add the Variety this can be done on the reholder fee and the coin does not get graded again but the Variety is put on the new slab. Cheaper than regrading........Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    I will be in Chicago in August.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    I plan on turning the coin in question into my spending cash for the show.

Thanks, PCGS photo, for the personal response.

It does stink though that it sounds like I can't get the Overton number on my holder at the show...buyers really want that, and I'm 100% sure of the attribution myself.
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The cheaper and safer option is to just drop it off for regular service at the show at normal prices for grading and other services. Even paying the shipping for it to come back home that usually saves money. >>

image At the chicago show with a Variety and was told NOPE it has to go back to Newport Beach. And if you have a coin already in the pcgs holder and just want to add the Variety this can be done on the reholder fee and the coin does not get graded again but the Variety is put on the new slab. Cheaper than regrading........Enjoy image >>

This is very good information. I did not know you could add the variety just be submitting as a reholder. Good info.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    As a rule we do not offer Variety services at a show. We can handle most major varieties but we don't have the people or the time to attribute all the varieties we recognize.

Let me know (PM is ok) what you are bringing to Chicago.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chicago in August... I have a particular coin where variety is everything, and I'm already 200% sure of it, I just want it printed on the holder. >>

<< <i>It does stink though that it sounds like I can't get the Overton number on my holder at the show...buyers really want that, and I'm 100% sure of the attribution myself. >>

Your certainty is on the decline. image

We know which CBH. Looks like it will have to be returned by mail but at least you'll get it to PCGS safely, and free.

If I were you I'd get it graded soon and send it to Sheridan Downey for his Chicago ANA auction. You'll likely to do better than selling to a dealer.
    Lance.
  • Options
    GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    You might help the process along by attaching the appropriate documentation from applicable references to your submission, including photographs where possible. I know that this has worked for me with on-site grading, particularly in regard to getting the coin's provenance added to the certification label. Without the documentation that I provided, the coin would likely have had to be taken back to Newport Beach for further research.
    "Clamorous for Coin"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file