Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Civil War store token not often seen, from Philadelphia

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Partly due to the unusually large diameter of 31mm. (similar to a U.S. 50 cent issue): PA-750T-1b. R-7. Brass, with reeded edge. Note the incorrect spelling of the street name, which is correctly spelled Chestnut. I wonder if Stokes may have rejected these from the die sinker on this basis.

imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting..... especially with the misspelling... Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat piece!
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Chesnut was a common spelling at the time.???

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neato. I like the Old English font and the eagle.

Too bad the surfaces aren't a little better, but hey, sometimes you can't have everything, right?

I wonder if "Chesnut" is an archaic alternate spelling? I mean, it wasn't as standardized back then...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    More than likely just a phonetic spelling on the part of the die sinker......Somewhat related there is a mid-20th c. North Carolina "Good For" token that has been attributed to a local (local to me, anyhow) african-american merchant by the name of Chisolm who owner a grocery store (Asheville NC, though not marked so on the token) Anyhow the address was given as the intersection of 'Grail and Mack Street'......There is no Mack Street but there is an intersection of Grail and Max Street and I was able to confirm that this was indeed the building from which Mr. Chisolm ran his business

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Cool storecard! image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe Chesnut was a common spelling at the time.???

image >>

nice token by the way

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file