Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What woud you guys do with this '55 Proof set? (Grade in, anybody want to GTG?)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All of this time and drama, and it is an NGC graded coin now? Yawn.

Did you use MS70? No way all that stuff comes off with just acetone. >>

Ancient chinese secret. image Why yawn? You must be hooked on the kool aid too.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>

Ancient chinese secret. image Why yawn? You must be hooked on the kool aid too. >>

The kool aid seems to be out of control lately!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll stand my ground and say "to each their own " Every coin stands on it's own merit and every coin owner makes his own choice with his coins. They are what they are.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ancient chinese secret. image Why yawn? You must be hooked on the kool aid too. >>

I thought we were grading under PCGS standards. I would suspect it would not get a DCAM here, that's all. Still a great find from a raw set.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my thoughts are the same as Wabbit. call it Koolaid if you must........................
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>my thoughts are the same as Wabbit. call it Koolaid if you must........................ >>

Ditto here - NGC just doesn't cut it with me on cameos. They give the cameo designation and ultracameo designation much easier than PCGS IMHO.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>None of the coins are anything special, except for the Franklin, but I'm not sure it's nice enough to get a dcam designation, and it probably needs a quick dip before going in anyway. I'm debating between pulling it out of the set or just leaving the set intact. I have the original box and tissue paper as well.

image >>

I say it would have graded the same grade despite the eye appeal and if it was boosted because of the change, then grading is not the technical science I thought it was. The grade should remain the same with all that tarnish on the coin, too. Or are we grading base on human emotion ? In a perfect world a natural coin would be selected by more of us than many others may ever choose to accept , or believe.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The dip was wise. The Mint struck enough of these, you can own a dozen each with a different look. There's no right or wrong "look" for a coin. If anything, we can agree on that. But when you're talking business, you need to consider which "look" will yield the greatest profits. DCAM and CAM sells for more than 'purple haze with dirt color.'

So from a sales perspective I say huge improvement.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Can't argue with salesmanship. I concede there. And it's probably just me, but I kind of like that haze on coins. they'll go dark one day if we let them.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I think more of the answers/opinions would've been "let it alone" if he were an R7. When there are numerous examples to go around, we tend to take more risks. Is that wrong? image (not directed at anyone just posing a question)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I have been doing this business for a long time. Crisp clean fields yield higher grades period.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto here - NGC just doesn't cut it with me on cameos. They give the cameo designation and ultracameo designation much easier than PCGS IMHO.

this is a fact past your opinion, Conrad. PCGS holdered coins typically sell for more than same graded NGC coins(you know that) though this example offers incentive to a gambler because of the price jump from 66-67. oh yeah, JMHO.image
  • Options
    Congrats to the owner! You did well with this coin!

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking half. Were it mine, it would go to PCGS to cross no lower than DCam 65 in its current holder.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file