Home U.S. Coin Forum

What woud you guys do with this '55 Proof set? (Grade in, anybody want to GTG?)

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
None of the coins are anything special, except for the Franklin, but I'm not sure it's nice enough to get a dcam designation, and it probably needs a quick dip before going in anyway. I'm debating between pulling it out of the set or just leaving the set intact. I have the original box and tissue paper as well.

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I'd do...I'd cut it out in a second. Dip it and submit it if the fields cleaned up well enough. The area around the date looks like it may have some hairlines.

A 67 CAM is a $200+ coin...68 CAM is $400+.

From your picture I don't see a DCAM coming out of that, but I could be wrong.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually I prefer to older coins left in their mint wrappers, but in cases of half of the 1954 (half were in celluloid sleeves) and 1955 box sets in the cloudy plastic sleeves, I'd take the coins out of the original package. Those cloudy sleeves promoted ugly, dark toning, and that 1955 half is actually much better than average.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Franklin does look nice. Maybe not frosty enough to DC - At some point there will not be many original sets left. Tough call.
  • dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    If you dip, I would use a diluted solution. 50/50 water and dip. I would hate to harm that frost with a dip. I'm not entirely sure you can, but I suspect that overdipping would remove some frost.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have to grade at least 67 to me before I would take the chance. I don't think a dip would remove what looks like some hazing on it. Below 67 and it's really worth more in the OGP in my opinion.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only judging from the photograph, I would say a dip would help that half a great deal....would not say DCAM, but possible CAM....Cheers, RickO
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mail it to me for a birth year set. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    I would send it to PCGS as is....looks DCAM to me............can't tell about the fields, with that in mind, dipping a coin like this can open a can of worms....JMO.

Edited to add..........

Let the graders figure out what's under that haze/toning. that's what they are patd to do.......
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cut these proof sets out and usually dip them. This one I would cut out and dip and submit if benefit justified cost. Otherwise to self slabs.

The mint packaging on these contains pvc and inhibits proper viewing of the coins, so I simply cut them out. Leaving them in there then pvc will damage coins.....if not already.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint packaging on these contains pvc

you have posted this before and I believe it to be false. could you please provide something to back up your claim?? thanks in advance. back to the coin, I'd leave it in the packaging unless your motive for buying it was profit.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint packaging on these contains pvc

you have posted this before and I believe it to be false. could you please provide something to back up your claim?? thanks in advance. back to the coin, I'd leave it in the packaging unless your motive for buying it was profit. >>

I have never seen any evidence that those sleeves contain PVC, and I will say that they often promote unattractive toning and usually cannot be dipped off the silver coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd sell it for 30% more than I bought it for, to you guys, of course. Hypothetically speaking , mind ya. That is, if you would sell it to me for 15% back of grey sheet bid.
    If these numbers will work for you, please PM me and let's make a deal.

In my estimation, if left alone for another hundred years, it will naturally turn black , except...with the way people think of "dipping" and "doing coins" it appears that it will always be white and never wrong for someone who doesn't like leaving what is, as is.... except to prove or disprove what it was in the first place.

And who needs to dip a CAMEO coin to know what it is ? Who needs to WASH it clean to grade it properly ?

Okay, back in my hole.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dip and ship!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
    And who needs to dip a CAMEO coin to know what it is ? Who needs to WASH it clean to grade it properly ?

a quick comment on coins still in the Mint cello but not a comment on this coin.......................
    quite often the haze imparted by long term storage in the mint cello will cause a non-cameo coin to appear frosted and the tone from the same storage can hide hairlines. I have removed coins from flat packs and "dipped" them only to discover brilliant and hairlined non-cameo coins. also, the cello itself can become cloudy and make it difficult to discern what exactly lies within. these and other things are the pitfalls waiting for those who search sets.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I see a proof Franklin in original packaging that looks like the pictured coin, I think of multiple different outcomes to a dipping of the coin to remove the milky haze. They include:

1. All haze and toning is removed revealing a high grade black and white CAM or even DCAM coin;

2. All haze and toning is removed revealing a coin that has frost on the devices and mirrored fields that are not good enough to warrant a CAM designation but is still a gorgeous coin;

3. 1 or 2 above, except the coin is low grade due to hairlines or other defects revealed after the haze and toning are removed;

4. 1 or 2 above, except that some toning can not be removed (i.e. the brown spots under the haze on the reverse of the pictured coin) and the coin looks worse because the damage to the coin from the defect is revealed and accentuated;

5. 1 or 2 above, except that the fields of the coin are impaired (shallow, blotchy, etc.) depriving the coin of eye appeal; or

6. All haze and toning is removed revealing a brilliant proof coin (not likely, but it does happen when the haze and toning and the mint packaging all operate to show a cameo appearance when there is none).

If I had the proof set containing the pictured half dollar, I would not be able to resist taking it out of the original packaging (to prevent further haze or toning). I would look at the coin and study it and if it has the tells that lead me to believe a gem CAM or DCAM coin lies beneath the haze and toning and that the haze and toning can be successfully removed, I would give the coin a bath or dip to clean it up.
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I'd do...I'd cut it out in a second. Dip it and submit it if the fields cleaned up well enough. The area around the date looks like it may have some hairlines.

A 67 CAM is a $200+ coin...68 CAM is $400+.

From your picture I don't see a DCAM coming out of that, but I could be wrong. >>

What he said. Looks nice, worth a try.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Leave the set intact!!!!
    Matt
  • If you do decide to dip it would love to see pics of the results . Good luck!
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not an expensive set. Coin has a shot at 67CAM.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little spotty, but looks pretty darn frosty also!
  • Nice looking frankie! I have a 55 I just sent off to be conserved then graded ATS. I'm hoping it cleans up as nicely!
    Please download this app to help fight cancer at 0 cost. At no extra cost to you purchases from Amazon and other participating retailers will benefit research!

http://my.affinity.is/cancer-research?referral_code=MjI4Nzgz
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice example!
    I have one in a birth year Capital holdered set. Yours is much nicerimage
    Thanks for showing the before and afters... I trust you'll keep us posted on the progressimage

The reverse is a little spottier than I would have hoped.
    Not sure about grading on these... No experience personally...

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello,

nice - prefer the 50C before tho image

Best wishes,
    Eric
    looks nice but since the lighting is different it's difficult to make an accurate assessment from the pictures.
    I liked the purple haze.

It looked "natural".
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    It looks better after the dip.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
    The fields resemble a galaxy in space.
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>The fields resemble a galaxy in space. >>

Yes, that is a lot of spotting. It was not so apparent before the dip, and the nice bluish original Pr "haze" or what I am gonna term "Proof Blush"is gone, making this look like so many others. It's individuality was removed. I liked it a lot before. The second photo of the Obverse, the creaminess of that frost was very seductive.

Best wishes,
    Eric
    What's done is done, ........but man I sure did like it when it was ..........natural.....image
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Before restoration PR64Cam, after 66DCAM or better
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how did you dip it?
    LCoopie = Les
    I already did.
    PR67Cam.
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    dc 66

<< <i>What's done is done, ........but man I sure did like it when it was ..........natural.....image >>

It would have graded way to low in the eye appeal category. Prolly would have been a 62/63 cam before restoration heck it may not even graded due to the residue from the cello that was on the coin.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say PR66DCAM
    When in doubt, don't.

64 DC........
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>64 DC........ >>

+1
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell us already....
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call. I'll say 65 DCam.

The later mint sets definitely contain PVC I believe in the form of an extremely
    thin layer of plastic on the inside of each outer layer. I believe the earlier proof
    sets are the same.
    Tempus fugit.
  • BodinBodin Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    65 DCAM ??
    Nice pickup! Did you submit or rinse any others from the box?
    The coin subsequently graded PF66UCAM at NGC. This coin was a no brained for restoration. It was never dipped with acid just treated for gunk , haze and residue.

All of this time and drama, and it is an NGC graded coin now? Yawn.

Did you use MS70? No way all that stuff comes off with just acetone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file