Home Metal Detecting
Options

~*~*~ VIRTUAL TREASURE HUNT V (final video posted!) ~*~*~

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
Welcome to VTH5!

Here's how it works. Ten people will get to play the game this time around.

The other day, I went out with my metal detector and dug up exactly ten targets.

(And videotaped all the action with my sweet little new headmounted "LordM-Cam".) image

These finds will be assigned target numbers (1 through 10, in the order they were found).

Our ten players will each get to pick ONE target in advance of the video being posted.

If a player's preselected target turns out to have been a "keeper" (a "good coin" or interesting enough relic that I want to keep it), he or she will get a $5 PayPal gift from me. (I will of course keep my find.)

If a player's preselected target does not turn out to have been a "keeper", then that player may claim the actual object for himself or herself (it's theirs to keep... for the cost of shipping).

Granted, if I chose not to keep a particular target, there's not much chance a player will find it worth even the shipping charge to claim it. But not ALL of my "non-keepers" will be trash. Certain things like Wheat cents or musket balls or things I've already found a lot of are things I do not necessarily need to keep for my relic showcase.

So here are our target assignments. I'll dribble them out one at a time over the next day or two, most likely, to give me time to finish editing the video.

When the video is finally edited and posted, it should be a win-win. At the very least, everybody will have a live-action treasure hunting movie to watch, and additionally, anywhere from one to ten people are also going to get paid to watch it! image

TARGET ASSIGNMENTS FOR VTH5
    1. mrpaseo2. valente1513. CuKevin4. WhiteTornado5. Zot6. 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD7. Staircoins8. ROCKETMAN9. pcgs6910. SwampboyHere is the movie from last year's VTH4.. My half of VTH4 was twenty targets. (That's really more of a slideshow than a movie, since I didn't have a headmounted videocam at the time.) And here is the trailer video for the upcoming VTH5 movie..This year's VTH5 of ten targets is a smaller, solo affair dug solely by yours truly. UPDATE: and now, finally, here is the full VTH5 video!(Warning- it's almost 24 minutes long. Sorry if it's a bit overblown. Future vids will be shorter.)Do please let me know what you think, whether you were a player in the VTH5 game or not.Two people are going to win $5 PayPal gifts from me, as the targets they preselected turned out to be "keepers".But I will shoot PMs to them, so as not to make the prize notifications a spoiler to those who haven't watched the DigVid yet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    OK, I am opening up ONE target allotment right now.

The next person to post here will get to pick a number, (1 through 10).

Then we wait a while until I open up the next target allotment opportunity.

(I'm parceling them out one by one to buy myself time to edit the final video which will show the results.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    How about me? image
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    White Tornado gets a slot!

Phil, pick a number between 1 and 10 for your lucky number.

CuKevin- you just missed the boat, but watch this thread for a later opportunity. There are still nine slots in the game!

I'll open up another slot later this afternoon. In the meantime, I've got some work to do on the video.

• Options
    Thanks for the chance. And the number shall be 4, good sir image
  • Options
    #4 it shall be, then. image

I'll open up another target allotment in the next hour so, probably.

• Options
    I'll now open one more target allotment for the next person to reply to this thread.

If you miss this next one, I'll announce another sometime this evening.

Almost all of the scenes of my video are now edited and I will soon begin adding captions, titles, etc. Having a bit of audio trouble on two clips, so I have to sort that out. Might post a teaser preview vid later tonight, just for fun.

• Options

CN eBay

• Options
    Ah, CuKevin made it that time.

Pick your number, Kevin. One through ten. (#4 is already taken by WhiteTornado.)

• Options
    Thank you very much for the opportunity. This is an excellent idea you have come up with. Number three please image
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

• Options
    OK, then. Target #3 goes to CuKevin, and we already assigned #4 to WhiteTornado.

Barring a computer or internet crash (which sadly is not uncommon on my creaky old machine with its satellite connection), I'll open up another target opportunity sometime this evening around dinnertime (whenever that happens to me here on the East Coast).

• Options
    OK, dinner is eaten.

That means it's time to open up one more target allotment to the next person who posts.

There is also a trailer video uploading. It's taking forever. Considering it's perhaps 1/12 the length of the final movie, that's rather frightening. I wonder if I should be compressing these files somehow. I'm scared of losing quality. If anybody has suggestions on that score, help me out. I'm still tinkering and cutting my teeth on Windows Movie Maker. The trailer video was good practice, though.

(All of this is practice for the England trip, which should hopefully happen this fall.)

OK, next person to speak up gets a target allotment.

I might post one or two more before the evening is through. If I'm working into the wee hours, which seems likely, I'll also try to dribble out one or two targets for the night owl crowd.

• Options
    Man people are slow today image

Edit for wrong emoticon.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

• Options
    Here is the VTH5 preview video.

Do please let me know how the audio levels are on your end. I'm using headphones here since this particular computer lacks speakers.

Any other suggestions you have while I'm still editing the full movie are welcome.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, I want! I want!
  • Options
    pcgs69 is in!

Pick your number!

(#3 and #4 are taken. Choose any other number between 1 and 10.)

That's it for this target assignment.

One or two more will come available before the night is out, so stay tuned to this thread if you want a place in the game.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... Do please let me know how the audio levels are on your end. ... >>

Sound level seems fine on this end. Looking forward to seeing what turned up!

• Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    I'll take a number if there's any left
  • Options
    Brian (and Staircoins)- y'all just missed this slot.

Not to worry, though. Check back later this evening, as I'll open one or two more before midnight Eastern. And probably at least one in the wee hours, for the night crowd.

Staircoins- thanks for watching the trailer and letting me know how the audio was. It's a concern of mine since I've had issues in the past with that.

• Options

<< <i>pcgs69 is in!

Pick your number!

(#3 and #4 are taken. Choose any other number between 1 and 10.)

That's it for this target assignment.

One or two more will come available before the night is out, so stay tuned to this thread if you want a place in the game. >>

Thanks LordM! I'll take #9.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the VTH5 preview video.

Do please let me know how the audio levels are on your end. I'm using headphones here since this particular computer lacks speakers.

Any other suggestions you have while I'm still editing the full movie are welcome. >>

Audio was good. but the video ends at 1:53! haha.

One thing that may help the recovery is to use the shovel on three sides, and the fourth side turns into a hinge. One less thing to cut, and I believe it helps keep the plug alive. BTW, when is the England trip?
  • Options
    Number 9 it is!

That's always been a lucky number for me (and apparently for the Beatles, too, if the White Album is to be believed).

Will it be lucky for you?

We shall see. image

Stay tuned later in the evening for another target allotment, folks. There are now seven left. (#3, #4, and #9 are taken.)

PS- I will hint that there was at least one "keeper" in the course of the hunt. Maybe more. (I wouldn't make a video about a completely unsuccessful hunt, now, would I?) But even the "keeper(s)" might be considered "meager" in your book, pcgs69.

I always take what I can get, though!

Ten targets is not a lot of targets, so I'll leave y'all to guess what my ratio of trash to treasure was. The full movie will reveal all.

• Options

<< <i>One thing that may help the recovery is to use the shovel on three sides, and the fourth side turns into a hinge. One less thing to cut, and I believe it helps keep the plug alive. BTW, when is the England trip? >>

Good point. I do try to "hinge" them sometimes. But with the soil conditions like they were the other day, they usually end up coming unhinged anyway.

Just (finally) got an email back from the UK. It appears the trip might happen in the fall- October or early November. I have my passport sorted but now have to pay the deposit and start making the other arrangements.

• Options
    LordM-Cam™ is excellent! Video looks and sounds fine. Thanks for keeping things interesting, LordM. image

• Options

<< <i>LordM-Cam™ is excellent! Video looks and sounds fine. Thanks for keeping things interesting, LordM. image >>

I was looking for how to type that little ™ symbol. image

Next target allotment at 9:30 PM Eastern time. First to post with a timestamp after that time gets to pick the next slot in the game.

All scenes in the video are now edited, still photo closeups of selected finds are done, and I'm converting the music files.

Then it's on to titles and captions and the final edit. Gonna be a long night.

I'll probably open another target allotment around Midnight Eastern (wait for it), and then one or two in the wee hours, depending on how late I stay up. (I've got graveyard shift Friday night, so I might as well get into that circadian rhythm and stay up as long as possible tonight.)

• Options

Looking forward to the full video!

• Options
    Boom! Staircoins posted at exactly 9:30 PM Eastern, according to the timestamp I see, so Staircoins, pick your lucky number!

(#3,#4, and #9 are taken. Pick any other number between 1 and 10.)

Next target allotment goes to whomever posts first after midnight Eastern. Wannabe players- be sure and pick your number and post it then.

• Options

How about Lucky #7?

• Options
    #7 it is!

Staircoins has Target #7!

There are now six targets left: #1, #2, #5, #6, #8, and #10.

See y'all at the stroke of midnight.

• Options
    I'd like in on this exciting dig! Video is good! Gets ya going thats for sure! Are u still heading to England? That video will be exciting to watch!!! Thanks, Rich
  • Options
    ROCKETMAN- be the first to post after midnight Eastern and you'll get the next slot in the game.

If you miss that, there will be at least one opportunity in the wee hours, and a few more tomorrow, as I wrap up production.

Yes, I plan to go to England in the fall, but I'll almost certainly have to sell a big chunk of my non-dug coin collection to make it happen, despite the already generous forum donations that were made (a few years ago). I've procrastinated too long, and I hope this will be the year I finally do it. Even if I have to sell my "bought coin" collections (I never sell my dug coins), it will be worth it, to finally live a lifelong dream.

And of course this video and the ones to follow are a sort of warm-up for that event.

See you after midnight, maybe, or in the wee hours. Be thinking of your lucky number.

And thanks for the comments and feedback, everyone.

• Options

<< <i>Number 9 it is!

That's always been a lucky number for me (and apparently for the Beatles, too, if the White Album is to be believed).

Will it be lucky for you?

We shall see. image

Stay tuned later in the evening for another target allotment, folks. There are now seven left. (#3, #4, and #9 are taken.)

PS- I will hint that there was at least one "keeper" in the course of the hunt. Maybe more. (I wouldn't make a video about a completely unsuccessful hunt, now, would I?) But even the "keeper(s)" might be considered "meager" in your book, pcgs69.

I always take what I can get, though!

Ten targets is not a lot of targets, so I'll leave y'all to guess what my ratio of trash to treasure was. The full movie will reveal all. >>

haha, got my fingers crossed for number 9!

Haha, even a wheat cent is a keeper for good ol' pcgs69. It's just that the soil kills anything other than silver here, so most oldies are toasted here! When you get back from England you'll be talking about those scrappy Roman coins you'll be throwing in a jar!
  • Options

<< <i>t's just that the soil kills anything other than silver here, so most oldies are toasted here! When you get back from England you'll be talking about those scrappy Roman coins you'll be throwing in a jar! >>

They call 'em "greenies" over there.

Would you believe I've ALREADY found a Roman coin... here in GEORGIA?

It was an "eyeball" find, on a colonial site. I didn't even have the detector with me! (Alas, nor did I have a camera on hand at the moment of discovery, but if you scroll down in that thread, there are pictures of the coin.)

As to soil conditions, we're blessed here, and copper can come out really nice on the sites with loose, well-drained, sandy soil. My buddies have found some amazingly pristine Draped Bust cents, as I mentioned in one of your threads. And the silver does well too, although in a one-block radius around the area I hunted for this video, the silver sometimes has some "ground action" on it, which is unusual.

• Options
    I viewed the preview video and I thought it was just fine, audio quality was good image
  • Options
    I'm back for the midnight call. Hoping to pick that magic number!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm back for the midnight call. Hoping to pick that magic number! >>

ROCKETMAN- you made it!

So pick it!

Next target allotment to the first person who posts after 1:30 AM Eastern time.

Who knows who will still be awake then, or if I will be, myself. Probably. Then maybe one more for the night owls, and we'll leave the rest for Friday daytime.

As of right now, despite editing, I have about 19 minutes and 40 seconds of video. Yikes. Looks like we have a mini-epic on our hands. I was thinking we'd come in at 12 minutes, or 15 at most.

But there's almost 20, and that's not including titles and captions, which have yet to be added! image

I will of course have to edit some more, but it will be painful. And I already dread uploading.

Though I didn't want to, I might have to break this into two parts of ten or twelve minutes each.

And just think... last year's twenty-target VTH4 movie was only 7 minutes and 53 seconds long... for ALL of it!

But that was mostly still photos, of course, and all the VTH5 action is on video.

Hope it will be worth it, entertaining to everyone, and not too long and boring.

• Options
    Thank you LordM - I'll take #8!
  • Options
    #8 it is for ROCKETMAN, then.

Again, the next target allotment goes to the first person who posts after 1:30 AM Eastern time.

Then I'll pause the target assignments until Friday morning or midday, most likely.

I think all I have left on the production of the movie (or movies, if gawd forbid I have to make a two-part miniseries) is to add the titles and captions and music, do the final tweaks... and upload.

That's still quite a few hours of work to do, yet. IF I don't hit any more tech snags, which so far have been minor. (Thankfully, considering my moviemaking novice status.)

It's all good practice and I'm sure the process will get easier with experience.

By the time the England trip rolls around, I hope to be a digmovie-making pro.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's folks like you sir who make the Internet a fun place! Just watched both your videos and I think it's a cool idea... I hope you find your best find yet on your next dig; ya never know image

Erik
  • Options
    Thanks, Erik.

You just nabbed the last night-owl slot, so pick your lucky number: 1, 2, 5, 6, or 10.

PS- and for gosh sakes, go to your profile and activate Private Messages, so I can PM you if you win something!

So with that, we'll leave the next target allotments for our Friday daytime crew, whenever I come back online.

• Options
    OK, it seems Erik went off to bed, as I did, just after the last post.

He didn't specify a number and I don't have a means of PM-ing him.

Didn't specifically claim a slot in the game, either, but a nice compliment like that deserves one (hey, flattery will get you everywhere, haha).

So I used a random number generator to pick his slot for him.

Erik, aka"3keepSECRETif2rDEAD" has Slot #6.

And the next person to reply will get to choose target allotment #1, #2, #5, or #10.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Hey! Look what's happening here!! image

I figure you'll start off in a dodgy area and gradually zone in on the good stuff, so I pick a target in the middle: #5
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Yay!

Zot's back!

Naturally I've thought of you and John (goldrush00013), and our late pal Tim (Phut), and the other old VTH veterans, when doing this.

I for one would LOVE to see a Zot-Cam™ in action for some Eurodigging sometime, if you ever added such a piece of equipment! image

Great to see you. You have Slot #5, as requested.

Next slot is up for grabs to the first person who posts after 12:00 noon, Eastern USA time.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Is it that time?
  • Options
    Ray- you're in!

Pick your number: 1, 2, or 10.

Next target allotment after 3:00 PM Eastern time, to the first who posts.

PS- when did you get the "Magpie" custom title? I don't remember seeing it. You must not have picked it right after you hit the 10K milestone, 'cause that's been a while!

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I'll take number 1 because I know no one else wants it image

My old title was "Peace Keeper" but I retired and no longer hold that title. I chose Magpie after a quick internet search after inquiring if it was possible to change. I was told that they would allow one change image
  • Options
    #1 it is, then.

I'll give the next one to the first person to post after 3:00 PM, as mentioned.

Then I'll probably keep that last game slot up my sleeve until the final tweaks to the video are complete and it's just about time to upload.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    put a target on me Mr. S. I'll try it again.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I believe there are two slots left? I'm ready to claim one if/when it's available. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE