Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Speaking of Junk Wax - Pro Set Hockey Stanley Cup Hologram odds?

I've always wanted the Pro Set Hockey Hologram, it was the the first Holy Grail for me as a kid and had urban legend status in Canada. Rumours of guys searching cases with metal detectors to find them. Back in the day it seemed like a impossible chase.

Although they were numbered to 5000 which is extremley high for today's standards, they only come up for sale on Ebay every couple of month.

In all my years collecting I may have seen one in person.

You football guys had the Lombardi chase as well, limited to 10,000 I believe.

Does anyone know the odds of pulling a cup hologram? I may bust a case in the search for it.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I've always wanted the Pro Set Hockey Hologram, it was the the first Holy Grail for me as a kid and had urban legend status in Canada. Rumours of guys searching cases with metal detectors to find them. Back in the day it seemed like a impossible chase.

Although they were numbered to 5000 which is extremley high for today's standards, they only come up for sale on Ebay every couple of month.

In all my years collecting I may have seen one in person.

You football guys had the Lombardi chase as well, limited to 10,000 I believe.

Does anyone know the odds of pulling a cup hologram? I may bust a case in the search for it. >>

I was 13 in 1990 and remember this card very well. I've seen maybe one or two in person at cards shows back in the day. I would think it would be really tedious busting cases to find one and my guess is you would need to rip a thousand packs to have a shot at one.

Pop reports are interesting - only 16 graded and nothing higher than an 8. That plus the fact there is only one card on Ebay makes me question how accurate the print run was.
  • Options
    I saw the pop report to. I think the print run is correct but what I have seen is two things.

1. Most guys have these squirrled away in a 1" screw down stashed in their collection they gave up circa 90's
    2. They are very condition sensitive, many wouldn't be worth subbing as they typically have major edge and surface damage

I agree busting would be not the way to go apart from wanting to pack pull it myself.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I broke a bunch of these back in the day and recall getting approximately 1 per case. That would be one for every 10K cards. That would be a print run of 50 million cards. Sounds about right.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.