Home Metal Detecting
Options

Meager finds from yesterday 5/28/13

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Slow going yesterday, did manage a shield nickel. It almost had a date on it to start with... looked like 1868 or something similar. Decided to rub it a little to get rid of some crust and took the entire date off. Going with 1868. Also got a fatty IHC, obverse is obliterated. Also an old button. At another location, a 1961 Roosie.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be "meager" finds to you, but in my book that's a great day. I've only found one Shield nickel ever.

A day with a single silver coin or IHC is a success in my estimation, and you got both of those AND the Shield nickel, with an early flat button, too. (Turn of the 18th/19th centuries, is where I'd put that.) You've potentially got three different centuries represented in those finds.

So yep, I'd love to have some "meager" days like that.

A "meager" day for me would be maybe one Wheat cent or old-junk (interesting but worthless) relic, and the rest modern clad junk and trash.

Anything less would be considered a good skunking or a strikeout, of course.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- do you keep running totals of your cumulative coin counts, or at least of your silver?

I have, since 1992. That means that when I find a common and humble silver coin like a '64 Roosie or a War nickel, even one with a date I've already found, I get to add to my running silver count. It keeps it fun for me, and I don't feel any kind of letdown. I might have already found six 1964 Roosies over the years (or whatever), but the silver count always climbs that way and gives me a little feeling of accomplishment no matter what. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 coins worth 13 cents. I wonder how many would get that one correct on an ACT test?image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice finds...even if not a large quantity.....some days are slim, some are fat. Cheers, RickO