Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Attn: British Coin Experts

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dont know much about it other than the fact it is an amazing design.

LINK

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Gothic crowns be very pretty!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you will pay through the nose for a point or two on the slab!
    Try the smaller scale Gothic florin....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I do like it, especially the calligraphy font, however I do prefer the Art Deco crown from 1935. And while it's not quite as highly valued, it does have some rare varieties. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    $85K US for a gothic crown is plain stupid. They made 8000 of them, aren't rare, and always available. Sure there is a limited number of choice examples, but this is a clear case of the number tail wagging the coin dog. I guess all those who collect by numbers won't see it that way, but anyone paying that sort of money for an inch and a half by three quarters piece of card needs their head examining IMO.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin- seems that condition rarity is dictating a very optimistic price

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    There was a 65? that sold for 30000+ within the last two years, I believe. It looked a lot like that one, might even be the same one.Mac would know.image
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous piece but agreed with 8000 pieces I think its way overpriced - what a beauty though image
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z
    Don't even think of it!!!!
    LOL
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$85K US for a gothic crown is plain stupid. They made 8000 of them, aren't rare, and always available. Sure there is a limited number of choice examples, but this is a clear case of the number tail wagging the coin dog. I guess all those who collect by numbers won't see it that way, but anyone paying that sort of money for an inch and a half by three quarters piece of card needs their head examining IMO. >>

+1

A lovely example, and truly FDC, but not $85K lovely. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a 65? that sold for 30000+ within the last two years, I believe. It looked a lot like that one, might even be the same one.Mac would know.image >>

That PF65CAM (or was it DCAM) was sold by Goldberg's circa 2007/8, and flew to ~ $35K, IIRC. Anyway, I was offered on of these Gothic PF67s at ~ $13K back in 2002/2003, to which I choked, and passed out. image

Of course, this Kairos person seems to have had the dosh to handle 'em, and they've all recently hammered for around $30K in the last year. Though none of the Kairos crowns were graded CAM, a careful eyeball set against the TrueView shots would seem to indicate they are all CAM regardless of the 'Doyens of SA' opinion. These toned proofs are seldom christened "cameo" even though they are in fact so. Anyway, 'twoud seem the CC Gothic crowns have returned ~9% per annum over the last decade.

How much are they ultimately worth? Certainly $25-30K given the multiple bidders for 3-4 examples in a short amount of time, but that $85K would be a right proper burial.

Of course, IMO, that last UNA to sell landed the winner about "20 feet under". I'd pony up $100K+ for a 'no-questions' PF65+CAM UNA, but not a raw, hairlined slag.

So, it's supply/demand thing popping, and whence the "demand"? My guess is it's coming from Asia as they do have a "history" with things Victorian, albeit tenuous at times.

Oh yeah, only 7/8000 of those Gothic crowns have been elevated to PF67 or better. My guess is that barring total financial apocalypse, you'll never see one under $20K again.

cheers.....
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The design attracts interest- there are other British Crowns that are significantly more difficult to get than this and sell for less- how much less? Would you like a high end BMW as your change?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    $85K for an Undecimo PR67? And all this time that I thought that there were two 67s at CICF for $20K.... image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dam, that coins off the charts???
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And perhaps a few of the buyers off a bit too. I entirely agree with Rob - see above...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>And perhaps a few of the buyers off a bit too. I entirely agree with Rob - see above... >>

Bring out your white coat. There's an opportunity to earn a bit on the side here. image