Home Metal Detecting
Options

New park going in just down the street.

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
There is evidence of an old bridge (I think it's a bridge) in the area and I have found a few modern coins MDing in the area in the past. The 10 acre area was donated to the city and they are now making a canoe/kayak drop off point and I believe a trail to walk.

In the past I have dug this area (See info here) mainly on the wall where the bridge was. I am thinking that as they clean up the area and dig the walking path, I will go in on the weekends and do some metal detecting.

That said, any suggestions? I'm sure this has been a fishing place for many years and maybe even a swimming hole at one point (There is a deep pool there) so I am sure there are some coins to be found (Hopefully some Silver).

I have not been out yet this year so I need to pull my rig out and do some tests before heading down there.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That some neat looking old stonemasonry. Looks like castle fortifications of some kind! There's bound to be a piece of silver or two around.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly looks like it has potential. Might be worth a quick sweep before they do any digging, and after. A few years ago I detected a short walking path and found at least one IHC. A couple weeks later they had an excavator and took almost a foot of dirt away. Tried after they came through and there were no signals... they took everything away!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep us posted on how ya do with that site. happy hunting image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck when they start to dig and move stuff around. Did you do any water detecting there?? Should be some good stuff in the water. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck when they start to dig and move stuff around. Did you do any water detecting there?? Should be some good stuff in the water. Cheers, RickO >>

No under water digging, my rig is not waterproof but now that we are talking about it, the next time the water is low I may just run down there to see what I can see.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Places like this cry out for a water MD.... lots to be found in old swimming holes....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Oh boy, I just took a walk down to the new park area and wow is it over grown, I'm not sure how much MDing will get done before they dig the path... I hope they are still putting the path in.

The new park is supposed to be a canoe/kayak put in area so it's small but originally they were planning on a walking path that I was hoping to MD after they left each evening... fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Taken today.

How does one MD in overgrowth like this?
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    That looks a little rough going. Watch for poison ivy too!
  • Options

<< <i>That looks a little rough going. Watch for poison ivy too! >>

I get a case of poison ivy every year and seem to hold onto it for MONTHS. After the winter I get the urge to get out and do some geocaching and get it early on, then hold it through the summer. I am carefull but always seem to get it.

My wife is highly allergic to one of them (I think sumac), our first year in this house (1999) we were clearing brush from the back and she got some real bad, it made its way up to her face, then when it went over her eye and sealed it shut we went to the emergency room. She had to get steroid shots to make it go away. image

This is why I want to wait until they start cutting the path (The plans say it will be paved), I figured they will clear the path before they pave so I want to go in the evening and MD what they have cleared.