Really Really Choice 1796 Quarters

mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
I didn't get this one but it sure is pretty:

1796 Quarter

Post a nice one!

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    That's a nice one. Obvious cleaning on the Obverse but not harsh enough to warrant a details grade.

Tough tough coin.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Obvious cleaning on the Obverse but not harsh enough to warrant a details grade. >>

I guess I missed it.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Obvious cleaning on the Obverse but not harsh enough to warrant a details grade. >>

I guess I missed it.

-Paul >>

Your not alone as I actually like the obverse better then the reverse image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing obviously cleaned about the obverse, but even if there were, this amount of meat on a 1796 quarter, it would be allowed by.

It's really a pleasing piece! I wonder if in spite of the tremendous demand for the date as a type, there might be a decent number of high grades around?

I'm trying to recollect, I think in one of Bowers' books, he recounts a tale told (I think) by Kosoff about another dealer he knew who offered him his choice of 1796 quarters from two folios tucked under his arms -- one had a few dozen "frosty" pieces, the other had a few dozen "prooflike".

While it sounds akin to a pipe dream, it was presented factually -- be interesting, if true, to know what became of the coins in that small horde. image
  • Options

<< <i>

I guess I missed it.

-Paul >>

I thought it was kinda obvious that all of the area inside the stars and on the portrait is lighter (alot) compared to the rest of the coin. Kind of like lightly taking a pencil eraser to just that area. All of the rest of the coin is toned dark.

It's not ruined, just has been modified a bit.
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

A welcomed addition to any collection image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I guess I missed it.

-Paul >>

I thought it was kinda obvious that all of the area inside the stars and on the portrait is lighter (alot) compared to the rest of the coin. Kind of like lightly taking a pencil eraser to just that area. All of the rest of the coin is toned dark.

It's not ruined, just has been modified a bit. >>

I do see what you're saying, but without having the coin in hand I think you might be judging it too harshly. Esp. since 97.5% of all higher grade early bust pieces seem to look this way. From a time when coin cabinets would have been the norm for such pieces, and primarily the obverse would be brushed.

Whatever this coin's sins are so far as cleaning, it probably transcends them.

I would like to know if there's any truth to the "1796 quarters hoard" Kosoff story I remember reading, maybe HRH, Colonel Jessup, others could comment. image
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I would take it! Tough coin yes, but much tougher due to demand.
  • Options

<< <i>Whatever this coin's sins are so far as cleaning, it probably transcends them. >>

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I wouldn't kick her out of bed by no means anyday of the week.

That coin is a pipe dream piece to me anyways.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Whatever this coin's sins are so far as cleaning, it probably transcends them. >>

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I wouldn't kick her out of bed by no means anyday of the week.

That coin is a pipe dream piece to me anyways. >>

For me too, even at a Fair-2 or AG level. OTOH, there's always the chance of a hit on the lottery! (Probably every collector's dream!) image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have a '73-CC W/Arrows quarter any day and twice on Sunday.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd rather have a '73-CC W/Arrows quarter any day and twice on Sunday. >>

Yup!
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rather have a '73-CC W/Arrows quarter any day and twice on Sunday. >>

Coin snob. image

Actually the 73-CC may be tougher, but I'd take the 1796 quarter. Ideal scenario: Have a 73-CC 25c to sell, sell said 73-CC to well-heeled collector, buy 1796 example with the proceeds, have $ left over too
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm personally not feeling the color on that one.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to know if there's any truth to the "1796 quarters hoard" Kosoff story I remember reading, maybe HRH, Colonel Jessup, others could comment >>

Is that in reference to the grouping of 100 or so supposed mint state pieces that came from the Col Green estate, after it was dispersed by BG Johnson? James Macallister allegedly bought the group in St Louis from Johnson, and later sold some of the hoard in New York to Abe Kosoff.
    But let's hear more details!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a nice one. Obvious cleaning on the Obverse but not harsh enough to warrant a details grade.
    . >>

Right. Don't forget the rim nick that everyone missed as well image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another one a little higher grade for comparison on ebay for only $59,999 or best offer.

1796 AU 58
  • Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    A decade or so ago, I was able to secure a couple of the 1796s, but NGC as opposed to PCGS, and less than stellar.

CAC is helpful here in ferreting out the junk, but very, very picky on these, which mean that there
    aren't enough CAC'd coins to go around.

The entire series through 1807 is hard to put together in high grades. Even nice 58s are rough.

Mint state, virtually impossible.

The 53 imaged is a nice looking coin. Possibly cleaned long ago, but starting to come back. Nice thing
    is that it's a B-1 with a decent head on the eagle. Interesting coin.

As far as the two imaged coins go, I prefer the 53 to the 58.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would like to know if there's any truth to the "1796 quarters hoard" Kosoff story I remember reading, maybe HRH, Colonel Jessup, others could comment >>

Is that in reference to the grouping of 100 or so supposed mint state pieces that came from the Col Green estate, after it was dispersed by BG Johnson? James Macallister allegedly bought the group in St Louis from Johnson, and later sold some of the hoard in New York to Abe Kosoff.
    But let's hear more details! >>

That's the one I was thinking of, and it would make sense that it was among Green's holdings at one time -- wouldn't it be something to have seen a contemporary photo taken of them as a group? Oh well, can't go back in time. image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would have loved to have seen them, and I would also like to know the story on where they came from.
    I would guess the original hoard must have been stashed away at or shortly after the time of issue and kept together, or at least most
    of them, as even if this was a 'favorite' coin or something, he (Green) wouldn't have come across that many individually and amassed
    them piece-meal. Who knows, maybe affiliated with the Nichols' hoard of 1796 and 97 large cents image ? Though it'd be a lot easier to save
    pennies than quarters back then!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to know if there's any truth to the "1796 quarters hoard" Kosoff story I remember reading, maybe HRH, Colonel Jessup, others could comment.

I'm pretty sure that's the deal that CJ sold to the Chapman brothers back when they were getting started.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm personally not feeling the color on that one. >>

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's little room to nitpick on a coin like this. It's an AU 1796 quarter with very good eye appeal. Less than 1% of collectors will ever be able to afford to own a coin like this one. I'll take it, cleaning or not.

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked this one up at the 2012 FUN show

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Its got the cac sticker which to many is a good thing when your paying $$$ for a rare and desirable coin.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Its got the cac sticker which to many is a good thing when your paying $$$ for a rare and desirable coin.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talking about cleaned coins from this era is sometimes silly.
    I'm not talking about those coins with bad cleaning lines, but just about all these coins have been technically cleaned at some point in their lives. Some get so hung up over the term cleaned.
    Common sense needs to trump sometimes.

Beautiful coin Boiler.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Boiler78- stunning coin.

Cleaned or not, I like the look of the OP coin.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a step up from them statehoods.
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding coin Boiler78!!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the obverse, the reverse, not so much. But still a classic!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 53 as a 50.

If it was in a 45 holder I'd keep on cracking and submitting it until it got too much rub.

Uncluttered fields with plenty of lustre for a coin at the 50 level. I can't see cleaning lines, but maybe the obverse fields took on a different texture as the depth of the reverse seems greater. The toning on the reverse, beneath better struck devices, is more worn on the sharper high points. It certainly seems to be backlit by lustre from well-shielded, less vulnerable areas.

Boiler's coin is OK image Nice beak and eye image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Beautiful coin Mark !!
    Ed
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My observations on the 58 coin. Dipped, a bit thinned out over the high points. The reverse not so much rub as strike. Look at the eagle's beak and eye and compare the reverse of the gem 63.

Stage 2 toning easily removed.

Many coin doctors would like that coin. Based on the spreads and the base value of the investment, it might not make it worthwhile. Dingy 62 worth all that much more than a shiny 58 retail?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the 53 as a 50. >>

Upon reading that CJ disagrees with CAC, I have to lie down for a while.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boiler's coin: Geez-o-Pete!

OP coin is interesting as in my initial reaction is I wouldn't like it for what it costs, but sure would like to see it in hand because I might feel differently if I saw some luster.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked this one up at the 2012 FUN show

image >>

Magnificent specimen. Congrats!

As a CAC'd coin, there is a single 58, a 64 and yours.

These things are rarer than hen's teeth. Is that the piece that was in the
    Bower's '85 sale?

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    boiler78; your coin has hijacked this thread. It is awesome!!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the design. Boiler - awesome!! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MusicALMusicAL Posts: 107
    What a gorgeous 1796. A dream of mine is to own one...even G-4...but it's not likely to happen. I don't agree with the notion that the obverse was cleaned. Could it have been stored in such a way where the reverse toned more substantially and the obverse edge areas were less exposed to the toning agent?? Which brings up a question. I have never really been a fan of the CAC concept but even so, would CAC have put its magic little sticker on this coin if it HAD been cleaned? I don't know their criteria and maybe rarity somewhat negates the "standards" they have set for the sticker???

Just thinking out loud.

MusicAL Alan in Massachusetts
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding earlycoins question about boiler78's PCGS-63 CAC example that appears on page 2: "Is that the piece that was in the Bower's '85 sale?"

Thought I had seen a similar looking pic before. Ran across the catalog recently and it matches. Below are scans where that coin was on the front and back cover. It sold for $23,100 even though called AU-55 to MS-60. Might have been the highest price of any coin in the auction. In the raw days auction companies sometimes undergraded coins from old collections which made their Prices Realized look stronger and got played up in ads.

A February 6, 1987 Greysheet showed AU bid at $12,500 and MS-63 at $21,500 which was probably about the same as in 1985.

Here is the picture boiler78 posted on page 2:

<< <i>

<< <i>I picked this one up at the 2012 FUN show

image >>

Magnificent specimen. Congrats!

As a CAC'd coin, there is a single 58, a 64 and yours.

These things are rarer than hen's teeth. Is that the piece that was in the
    Bower's '85 sale? >>

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file