Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Roosevelt 1970-D Reverse of 68

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
I picked one of these up at the Santa Clara Coin show which graded out at MS66.

Has anybody been tracking the resale prices on these?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimeman has Cherrypicked a few I think. Maybe talk to him?

Be on the lookout for the 1969 and 1970 as well with the same variety. Congrats on your find, well done!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the diagnostics of that dime?
  • Options

<< <i>What are the diagnostics of that dime? >>

See the latest CPG 5th Edition Vol II, page 116.

The 1969, 1970 and 1970-D all come with the Reverse of 1968 which is high relief. Look in the flames of the torch. There are two deep grooves in the flame of the 1968 torch where as the other style does not have those grooves. Pretty simple.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willl have to check my dime pile for this.....thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PCGS Population Report only has 3 listed of which one is an MS64 with the other 2 being MS66.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

First I've heard of these........nice find and in a nice grade...image

I've always checked the mint sets for the 1970 D DDR...found a few decent ones over the years, do the reverse of "68" ones come in the mint sets?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if these "rev of 68" dimes come in mint sets or not.

I found my 70-D on ebay in a ngc66FB holder. Haven't sent it in yet.

Still need the 70-P and the 69-P.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cherrypickers Guide describes these as "so far seems to be rare".

However... I question whether this is true. About a year ago, I started to check some of the early dimes from regular dime rolls from the bank... and found several examples of these. While they are not common, they may not be 'rare' as described in the Guide. Without doing a study on these, they seemed to be about as common as the Type 2 quarter reverses.... but then again perhaps I was just lucky to find them.

That being said, it could certainly be a rarity in top grades. I also suspect that not that many individuals know about these, so they are not yet picked out from circulation, etc.

Nice find!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    tincup, I can point out at least dozen inaccuracies within just the Mercury Dime section of the CPG. So if there are loads of other problems throughout the book I would not be surprised.
  • Options
    PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    I went thru a jar of change I had been saving for about 20 years...it probably had about 35.00 worth of dimes....I found about 20 of these rev of 68 dimes...so I am thinking they are NOT very rare at all....
  • Options
    I included these in a talk I gave to the Framingham Coin Club in early 1975 on significant clad coin varieties. I do not consider them rare at alll. I had a handout that included both types of dimes for a given year and mint which I gave out to everybody present. I still have leftovers. The real scarcities were the 1969 D - 1972 D quarters with the proof style reverse and the 1972 (P) type 2 dollar.
  • Options

<< <i>First I've heard of these........nice find and in a nice grade...image

I've always checked the mint sets for the 1970 D DDR...found a few decent ones over the years, do the reverse of "68" ones come in the mint sets? >>

Not that I know of.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>The Cherrypickers Guide describes these as "so far seems to be rare".

However... I question whether this is true. About a year ago, I started to check some of the early dimes from regular dime rolls from the bank... and found several examples of these. While they are not common, they may not be 'rare' as described in the Guide. Without doing a study on these, they seemed to be about as common as the Type 2 quarter reverses.... but then again perhaps I was just lucky to find them.

That being said, it could certainly be a rarity in top grades. I also suspect that not that many individuals know about these, so they are not yet picked out from circulation, etc.

Nice find! >>

Funny that you mention it since I learned of these on these very forums.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I went thru a jar of change I had been saving for about 20 years...it probably had about 35.00 worth of dimes....I found about 20 of these rev of 68 dimes...so I am thinking they are NOT very rare at all.... >>

What was the date on those dimes since these were the normal reverse for 1971.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    most were 1970...a few 1969's mixed in...
  • Options
    I picked up some 1970 Roosevelts with the Reverse of 68 this past week.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 70-D graded 66FB.....I cracked it out of a NGC66FB and sent in raw.

What grades are the 1970's
  • Options

<< <i>My 70-D graded 66FB.....I cracked it out of a NGC66FB and sent in raw.

What grades are the 1970's >>

I had the pleasure of going through some tubes at a coin store so all that I picked up were raw. I would guess the max to be around MS64.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file