Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Most Overrated BB Set Of All Time?????

For me it has to be 1978 and 1979 Topps. A pure plain and ugly design. Not sure why anyone would want to put a PSA 9 or 10 set together. Just flushing money down the toliet.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496

<< <i>For me it has to be 1978 and 1979 Topps. A pure plain and ugly design. Not sure why anyone would want to put a PSA 9 or 10 set together. Just flushing money down the toliet.

Mark >>

My two favorite sets of the 1970's.

As far as Overrated I'd go with 1960 Topps or 1975 Topps.

As far as I'm concerned some crap sets are: 1982 till today, 1977, 1976, 1974 - 1972

I've never been a fan of most sets, the design turns me off to most sets.

Dave
  • Options
    I agree Mark. That set is hideous and pretty much all the 8's and even most of the 9's are worthless. So worthless in fact that I bet some would even be so desperate that they could probably make more money off selling the wrappers and gum. But we don't know anyone who's shady around here that would do that because its just common sense not to sell those. Especially when you truly care about the hobby.
  • Options
    Can you imagine if the flips were personalized for those sets? 9s and 10s would probably be worth pennies.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 78 and 79 Topps issues. They make great shims when you slide them under the leg of a wobbly chair or table.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Baseball
    1960s - I would go with the 1961.
    1970s - I would go with the 1977-1979.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baseball
    1960s - I would go with the 1962
    1970s - I would go with the 1977-1979
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1978 and 1979 would have a warm spot in the heart of someone who was a youngster at that time. Those players will remain their favorites throughout their lives. I can understand someone putting those sets together. My favorites are those that played when I was a youngster many years ago. I am shocked to see 1960 listed as a set with little respect. My offer is still good. I will pay full SMR or even a little more for any 1960 Topps PSA 8 NQ I common need for my set.

Edited to note commons not star or individually listed cards.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang. Still wrote it halfassed backwards. I must quit drinking Bud Lite for breakfast.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Ralph,

I think that one of the reasons the 60 set keeps coming up as overrated has to due with the drastic change Topps made. The odd design with colors and going back to a horizontal format was a little shocking to some. Personally, I like the cards and have enjoyed putting the set together.

On another note, at least it's not Black Label or Schiltz image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    In my opinion, the 1979 Topps set isn't popular enough to be wildly overrated. I could take or leave it, personally. I have always loved the '78 Topps set and continue to do so.

My pick for most overrated baseball set by a landslide- and I'll probably get my ass handed to me for this- is 1975 Topps Mini. It's just like the regular set in every way..... only the cards are smaller. Oooooooh, thrilling.

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I don't think these are necessarily over rated but I'm not too fond of 1960 and 1976 for some odd reason.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Hey guys, I bet you
    There's someone out to get you
    You'll find him anywhere
    On a site, in a thread, in a baseball card store
    He'll say, "Excuse me
    Haven't I cheated you somewhere before?"
    Wrap, wrap, wrap
    They call him the Wrapper
    Wrap, wrap, wrap
    You know what he's after
    So, he starts his wrappin'
    Hopin' something will happen
    He'll say he needs you
    A companion, a shill he can talk to
    He's made up his mind
    He needs someone to sock it to
    Wrap, wrap, wrap
    Wrap, wrap, wrap
    You know what he's after
    He's made an impression
    So he makes a suggestion
    "Come up to my place
    For some coffee or tea or BB"
    He's got you where he wants you
    Dude, you've gotta face reality
    Wrap, wrap, wrap
    Wrap, wrap, wrap
    You know what he's after
    Wrap, wrap, wrap

• Options
    My pick is also the 75 Mini's.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    1952 Topps
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The Topps 1978 Zest Soap set
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt include the minis as I see it as an extra set and not a regular set like 1970 Topps supers or something.
    But yes I would put the 1975 Minis in the top 2 for overated set.
  • Options
    To be overrated you first have to be highly rated -- so I'm going with 1967.

A lot of the cards are really great and no doubt of that, but many of my favorite key
    players (Mantle, Mays, Clemente, etc.) feature very boring headshots. For that
    reason I've never been interested in the set.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options

<< <i>In my opinion, the 1979 Topps set isn't popular enough to be wildly overrated. I could take or leave it, personally. I have always loved the '78 Topps set and continue to do so.

My pick for most overrated baseball set by a landslide- and I'll probably get my ass handed to me for this- is 1975 Topps Mini. It's just like the regular set in every way..... only the cards are smaller. Oooooooh, thrilling. >>

I agree! The 1975 mini is a garbage set with no redeeming value. Please bid elsewhere.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    An alternate title for this thread is "what set do you hate that others like?"
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I'll be the 1st to say T206. I understand the appeal of the star cards in high grade and the rare variations, but if I can buy VG condition raw cards for $10-$15 bucks a piece (which you can on the BST on Net54), then that tells me the supply of these cards is pretty high and far exceeds demand.

For a modern set, I think the most over-hyped is 93 Finest. It included the 1st refractor....I get it. But it wasn't the 1st premium card. 91 Stadium Club was the game changer in terms of producing a really premium product and asking people to pay $5 a pack instead of $1. '93 Finest was just an extension of a movement that '91 Stadium Club created. If '91 Stadium Club had been produced in less quantity, I think it would be a highly sought after set even today.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    All of the 'Chrome' sets. I'm still not sure why someone would pay twice as much for a plastic card as opposed to a paper one, all other things being equal.
  • Options

<< <i>An alternate title for this thread is "what set do you hate that others like?" >>

I actually believe the entire premise of this thread is faulty. I would say high grade baseball cards in general are "under-rated" as a potential investment and "under-collected" by potential aficionados because of the disastrous over-printing in the late 80s to early 90s and the damage to the integrity of the game during the steroid era by frauds like Clemens and Bonds. I hate the IRS, I think Obama might be the single most over-rated entity in the history of physical science...but I love baseball cards in general - I just love some more than others.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Most Overrated Sets:

1979 Topps - Not nearly as condition sensitive as many believe.
    1975 Topps mini - Widely considered to be much scarcer than the regular issued set, yet the Conlon find has proven it to be rather accessible in high grade.
    1986 Topps - A wierd set to consider "overrated", but the condition issues make it considered the toughest 80's issue to submit a 10 for.. while true, there are thousands of cases still untouched from this year.
    1952 Topps Low # set - IMO, the mystique and the difficulty of the high #'d counterpart prevent collectors from realizing that this is not a very attractive set.
    1962 Topps - Many believe the wooden borders make it a difficult set to complete with condition in mind, while there are a fair share of tough commons, the pop reports show very little differences in high grades compared to similar years.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All of the 'Chrome' sets. I'm still not sure why someone would pay twice as much for a plastic card as opposed to a paper one, all other things being equal. >>

Agreed
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree! The 1975 mini is a garbage set with no redeeming value. Please bid elsewhere. >>

I definitely don't think the set is garbage- just that it's overrated.
    Musical equivalent would be the Beatles. By no means is their music bad, but come on already.

If we were to branch out to football, I think 1985 Topps is a no-brainer. Yes, the black border makes it very condition-sensitive- but let's not overlook the fact that the set design is ugly as hell.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    if '75 Topps minis are The Beatles, then '89 Upper Deck is Wham!
  • Options
    Personally, as a straight up set, I think 1984 Topps is one of the most overrated sets. No HOF rookies, its all centered on the love for Mattingly. Otherwise I find the set unexciting.
  • Options

<< <i>Most Overrated Sets:

1975 Topps mini - Widely considered to be much scarcer than the regular issued set, yet the Conlon find has proven it to be rather accessible in high grade. >>

I would suggest you spend 5 minutes looking at the actual population counts between the Mini and the Reg issue, and actually between the mini and the other sets in the 1970s before you make ill-informed statements...even though most of the entire Conlon hoard has been rooted through and converted to plastic - the pops remain relatively "low" for condition sensitive color combinations and high grade "star" cards haven't moved much at all.

1975 REG MINI
    PSA8 110K 42K
    PSA9 41K 14K
    PSA10 2.4k 1.3k

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the 78 and 79 Topps issues. They make great shims when you slide them under the leg of a wobbly chair or table. >>

He said Shims........somehow appropriate.

I too think the '78 and '79 sets are vastly overrated. I always thought the '78 Topps set was one of the ugliest I have ever seen and I was an avid collector of Topps cards during those years.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

<< <i>if '75 Topps minis are The Beatles, then '89 Upper Deck is Wham! >>

Don't you DARE disparage Wham! in my presence, sir. Not on my watch.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

That's poetry. You should make that your new signature lol

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel so unsure...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I am going with 2 sets:

1984 Donruss Baseball
    1989 Score Fooballs

The 1984 Donruss was iconic for me growing up, and will always have a special place in my heart. But as I have dived back into the hobby, I am seeing they are simply not that rare and not that difficult to get in a grade of 10. I think the 1984 Fleer is more scarce than the 84D and maybe a bit harder to find in Gem Mint

The 89 Score football is another one that was perceived to be very rare in the 90's, but just isn't. It's so easy to find unopened and there are hundred of Sanders 10's out there. I don't know if demand will keep up with supply on both these sets and I can't see unopened at $250 holding....
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

<< <i>

Don't you DARE disparage Wham! in my presence, sir. Not on my watch. >>

Walter, the minis cant be the Beatles because it has a very narrow but dedicated following: Therefore it is never going to be an over-rated set because it will never be popular or as popular as the more widely collected regular issue: Think Violent Femmes versus Nirvana...only a few will know the Femmes while even the uncool think they know Nirvana.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    While I understand the intent of the thread and the opening post, I will respectfully disagree about the '78 set. Maybe I'm just biased 'cause it was the first set I collected as a yute, but I totally dig the design. The All-Star shields, the game on the back, the cursive team names, Johnny Oates with his pimp 'stache and flyaway hair.

I concur on the '79 set, though. Fugly. Pink and purple Dodger All-Star cards. Ugh.

Not a huge fan of the '75 set, either. I get that it's loaded with stars and whatnot, but I'm a slave to uniformity. All those top and bottom color combos hurts my eyes.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Eric said:1952 Topps >>

Eric, my friend, that is a Blasphemous statement!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭

<< <i>yet the Conlon find has proven it to be rather accessible in high grade. >>

I agree, please refrain from grading pack fresh commons and sell them directly to me for $3 each.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Eric said:1952 Topps >>

Eric, my friend, that is a Blasphemous statement! >>

LOL!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    as I take your hand, and lead you to- the- dance- floor......
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

For a modern set, I think the most over-hyped is 93 Finest. It included the 1st refractor....I get it. But it wasn't the 1st premium card. 91 Stadium Club was the game changer in terms of producing a really premium product and asking people to pay $5 a pack instead of $1. '93 Finest was just an extension of a movement that '91 Stadium Club created. If '91 Stadium Club had been produced in less quantity, I think it would be a highly sought after set even today. >>

I believe the 1993 Finest Set only has 1 Rookie Card. ...JT Snow or something at that.
  • Options
    If the 78 Topps Set is George Michael, the 79 Topps set is Andrew Ridgely
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would suggest you spend 5 minutes looking at the actual population counts between the Mini and the Reg issue, and actually between the mini and the other sets in the 1970s before you make ill-informed statements...even though most of the entire Conlon hoard has been rooted through and converted to plastic - the pops remain relatively "low" for condition sensitive color combinations and high grade "star" cards haven't moved much at all.

1975 REG MINI
    PSA8 110K 42K
    PSA9 41K 14K
    PSA10 2.4k 1.3k >>

I have looked at the population reports and I must disagree. While I have yet to complete a 1975 Topps mini set on the registry, I have a regular issue set complete and I have been following both closely.

Here are the high grade populations as a percentage of the overall pop:

1975 REG MINI
    PSA8 53.6% 52.3%
    PSA8.5 1.5% 2%
    PSA9 20% 18.1%
    PSA10 1.2% 1.6%

They are virtually the same. Not only are they the same, but I would bet there is significantly more unopened mini product than regular product left. I'm sure the Conlon find hasn't been completely searched. What were there? 26 cases? It has only been 5 years, there are certainly a few left unopened and possibly more held by REA/Conlon. I have nothing against the set, I personally love it, but I think it is overrated.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's over or underrated, but my vote for least favorite set of the 70's would be the 76. To me, it's just a boring design.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the music dies, something in your eyes..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    1984 Topps for content

1977 Topps because I hate the greenish color of the backs.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>as I take your hand, and lead you to- the- dance- floor...... >>

Should've known better than to cheat a friend
    And waste the chance that I've been given
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    We'd hurt each other with the things we want to say
  • Options
    Apparently lots of love for Wham, but on the fence for Topps 78 and 79 sets. Hmmm.

Maybe you should go here

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    1975 REG MINI PSA8 53.6% 52.3% PSA8.5 1.5% 2% PSA9 20% 18.1% PSA10 1.2% 1.6% They are virtually the same.

First, how do you define difficulty? Many would say that it's getting every card in a set in all 8 or better. Your percentages look at the 8 and up cards in the set on the whole but don't capture the difficulty of getting at least an 8 on a given individual card. What's also not considered by your percentages are those cards that are submitted that are not graded (and thus not included in the POP report) due to Min Size issues. With the Mini's, green/yellow and red/yellow combos (greater than 25 cards in the set) are notorious for being below min size standards - this adds to the difficulty of the set and this difficulty is not captured by your percentages.