Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know information on the 1922-D Pennys with THREE Die Cracks?

I picked up an example today and I'm trying to find information about it.

Link

Thats the type I am speaking about. Does anyone know how rare this type is?

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide a little more info.
    Obverse, reverse, rim to head, rim to wheat ear etc .
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    There's one with three mega big bisecting cracks on the reverse.
    Is that the one you have?

They have been posted here before, if the search function works for you you'll see some threads.

Added:
    I did find one thread but there are other threads that show the same die in a later state where the cracks meet in the center like the die was ready to give.

one thread
    Ed
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Got a link to the type I am speaking of
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, one of my favorites! The cent was popular here with Board members a few years back. This was an UNC example I no longer owned. Its a fairly common coin. If you search enough you can find the cracks getting longer and longer. This example was not one of many made as the die crack is reaching about as far as I have seen it past the E in cent.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    tried to post mine, but cannot figure out how to copy paste from new version of photobucket image
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Here is Chris' example.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a customer who collects every one he can find in every die state. There are actually 4 cracks in the later die states, with a tiny crack from the rim right above one of the letters in "unum" (I don't see it present on any of the examples posted so far in this thread).
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    I'm fascinated with this variety that includes three die cracks in the 1922-D strong reverse Lincoln cent. The primary crack is in the "O" in ONE; the second is in the top 1/8th of the right wheat stalk, and the third is in the bottom 1/4th of the left die stock. I've love to find more of these... and a fourth die crack in this series would be great !!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one to add to the 'check for this' wheatie list....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: fundaddy56
    I'm fascinated with this variety that includes three die cracks in the 1922-D strong reverse Lincoln cent. The primary crack is in the "O" in ONE; the second is in the top 1/8th of the right wheat stalk, and the third is in the bottom 1/4th of the left die stock. I've love to find more of these... and a fourth die crack in this series would be great !!!

Hey fundaddy56, I'm curious, you joined the forum in Feb. and first posting the 7th of June?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    My 2 pictures of the 1922 D with 3 cracks that were listed in the original post were hacked and listed some other sort of advertisement. Needless to say I deleted them. I am thinking maybe “funndaddy” had something to do with this??????

WS
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: joeykoins

Originally posted by: fundaddy56

Hey fundaddy56, I'm curious, you joined the forum in Feb. and first posting the 7th of June?image

Possibly took him that long to go through the old threads to make a comment about. image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest the expert, The Penny Lady, but I see that she already "Charmed" in.
    Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file