Home Precious Metals
Options

SHTF vs natural disaster...

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
There seems to be a lot of threads as of late on the "worst case scenarios". From what we can see, there are die hard doomsayers on the left and there are people with blinders on the right. To me, there are many degrees in between that I am more worried about.

1. Natural disasters. In my area we have had floods and tornadoes. During these times we have seen areas of the city cut off, ATM machines empty (Though cash available within driving distance) and grocery stores stripped (Again, local stuff).

2. Looters. When a natural disaster hits, the looters come out to play.

3. Inflation/value of the dollar. This is the first time I have lived through times of uncertain. Admittedly, in the past I have not allowed the ways of the world to engulf my life so a lot of this is new to me.

I'm sure there are other reasons, be it local, regional or national to "Prepare" for the uncertain. I'm not sure how far towards a SHTF scenario we will go but I don't think (Personally) that the world will just magically pull themselves out of this rut. My point is, it's not "this or that", there are many degrees of preparing for the storm to come without digging a home in the back yard with a three inch steel door, nor should we walk the streets with blinders on.

What say you?

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much agree with everything you say. Sorry it took over two years to image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There seems to be a lot of threads as of late on the "worst case scenarios". From what we can see, there are die hard doomsayers on the left and there are people with blinders on the right. To me, there are many degrees in between that I am more worried about.

1. Natural disasters. In my area we have had floods and tornadoes. During these times we have seen areas of the city cut off, ATM machines empty (Though cash available within driving distance) and grocery stores stripped (Again, local stuff).

2. Looters. When a natural disaster hits, the looters come out to play.

3. Inflation/value of the dollar. This is the first time I have lived through times of uncertain. Admittedly, in the past I have not allowed the ways of the world to engulf my life so a lot of this is new to me.

I'm sure there are other reasons, be it local, regional or national to "Prepare" for the uncertain. I'm not sure how far towards a SHTF scenario we will go but I don't think (Personally) that the world will just magically pull themselves out of this rut. My point is, it's not "this or that", there are many degrees of preparing for the storm to come without digging a home in the back yard with a three inch steel door, nor should we walk the streets with blinders on.

What say you? >>

Don't under estimate the zombies

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a local circle of SHTF is normally short lived as outsiders move in to assist and provide relief following a catastrophe. Store shelves get replenished.

The larger that circle of SHTF becomes the less the odds of outside relief. A big enough circle becomes a fight for survival with the gloves coming off. Prepare for the big circles.

Natural disasters are the most common cause of SHTF scenarios. There are many man made potential causes.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    lot of earth quakes and volcanoes lately - dunno how to prepare or prevent these events.

Tornado's well I moved to Alabama and dont miss the ones in Oklahoma one bit. Although not immune from tornadoes here either.

Middle east well the 7 tribes of Israel have always been fighting. We need leave them be to take care of themselves.

Nuclear waste from Japan scares me more than all above.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nuclear waste from Japan scares me more than all above. >>

#8 on Letterman's list of reasons to avoid CA. image

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nuclear waste from Japan scares me more than all above. >>

#8 on Letterman's list of reasons to avoid CA. image >>

Actually most of the tsunami debris washed up on Washington and Oregon beaches.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just prepared....not 'expecting' anything.... but the object is to prepare for the unexpected.... Cheers, RickO