Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The face of every team>

2»

Comments

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are who come to mind for me...not necessarily the team's all-time best player; just who comes to my mind.

A's - Reggie
    Angels - Nolan Ryan
    Astros - Bagwell
    Blue Jays - Joe Carter
    Braves - Hank Aaron
    Brewers - Robin Yount
    Cardinals - Stan Musial
    Cubs - Ernie Banks
    Diamondbacks - Luis Gonzalez
    Dodgers - Koufax
    Expos - Dawson
    Giants - Willie Mays
    Indians - Bob Feller
    Mariners - Ken Griffey Jr.
    Marlins - Josh Beckett (ugh)
    Mets - Tom Seaver
    Orioles - Brooks Robinson
    Padres - Tony Gwynn
    Phillies - Mike Schmidt
    Pirates - Roberto Clemente though Stargell is close
    Rangers - Juan Gone
    Rays - Evan Longoria
    Reds - Pete Rose
    Red Sox - Ted Williams
    Rockies - Todd Helton
    Royals - George Brett
    Senators/Nationals - Walter Johnson but honestly Bryce Harper came to mind first
    Tigers - Ty Cobb
    Twins - Rod Carew
    White Sox - Frank Thomas
    Yankees - Babe Ruth

• Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    As a Cub fan, I'd go with Kevin Orie
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are who come to mind for me...not necessarily the team's all-time best player; just who comes to my mind.

Senators/Nationals - Walter Johnson but honestly Bryce Harper came to mind first
    >>

For the record, the original Senators became the Twins, the second version of the Senators became the Rangers.
    The Expos became the Nationals.

To link the Senators/Nationals together is downright silly. If that's the way you're linking teams, have A's/Royals together or Braves/Brewers.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here are who come to mind for me...not necessarily the team's all-time best player; just who comes to my mind.

>>

For the record, the original Senators became the Twins, the second version of the Senators became the Rangers.

To link the Senators/Nationals together is downright silly. If that's the way you're linking teams, have A's/Royals together or Braves/Brewers. >>

I didnt realize that. Bryce Harper it is! image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pirates = Clemente. Honus is a close second but I have to go with Roberto as the face of the franchise.
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    For the Reds I'm going with Bench.
    Twins...Puckett
    Balt......Ripken
    Pirates...Wagner
    Blue Jays..Alomar
  • Options
    Dodgers - Lasorda
  • Options
    ZillaZilla Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Royals - George Brett

I was actually down in KC this past weekend and was fortunate enough to get an invite to his surprise 60th birthday party. I think well over 300 people showed up, aand I can say without a doubt, he's the most beloved sports figure in KC history. He took the time to stop and talk with every single one of his guests. Just a gentleman and true class act.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

To link the Senators/Nationals together is downright silly. If that's the way you're linking teams, have A's/Royals together or Braves/Brewers. >>

Actually, I accidentally forgot to include the current Nationals. In my post, I was referring to the original Nationals. Senators/Nationals was the same franchise from 1901 to 1960, but they had two concurrent names. As per Wikipedia: "The 1904 Senators lost 113 games, and the next season the team's owners, trying for a fresh start, changed the team's name to the Nationals. The Senators name remained widely used by fans and journalists--in fact, the two names were used interchangeably although "Nats" remained the team's nickname. The Senators name was officially restored in 1956."

If you take another look at your Washington cards from 1955 and 1956 Topps for example, you'll see that they indicate Washington Nationals, not Senators. Since both names were interchangeable for many years, I group those together. Therefore, linking the Senators/Nationals makes sense in this situation, though it is also appropriate to have a separate line item for the current Nationals.

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Royals - George Brett

I was actually down in KC this past weekend and was fortunate enough to get an invite to his surprise 60th birthday party. I think well over 300 people showed up, aand I can say without a doubt, he's the most beloved sports figure in KC history. He took the time to stop and talk with every single one of his guests. Just a gentleman and true class act. >>

Wow, how do you make the list to get an invite like that?
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

Twins = Puckett.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭✭
    I think for this to be absoultely fair, pitchers and position players should be seperate for each team. For example, Dodgers could be Duke Snider and Sandy Koufax. Yankees could be Babe Ruth and Whitey Ford. And so on.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I was actually down in KC this past weekend and was fortunate enough to get an invite to his surprise 60th birthday party. I think well over 300 people showed up, aand I can say without a doubt, he's the most beloved sports figure in KC history. He took the time to stop and talk with every single one of his guests. Just a gentleman and true class act. >>

Wow, how do you make the list to get an invite like that? >>

I guess he had friends in low places? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mets = Dwight Gooden
    Yankees = Babe Ruth, Jeter currently
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a Cub fan, I'd go with Gary Scott >>

fixed it for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

That's awesome and sounds like you had a blast. Brett occasionally gets a bad rap (for whatever reason) but in my personal experience, he was always courteous and approachable. Thanks for sharing.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A's- Reggie
    Angels- Nolan Ryan
    Astros-frankly, Nolan Ryan came to mind again.
    Blue Jays- have to think about it. Someone else said Halladay, but, meh. Carter.
    Braves- Hank Aaron
    Brewers- Yount
    Cards- Stan Musial, no question.
    Cubs- Ernie Banks
    Diamondbacks- Big Unit
    Dodgers (BRK)J. Robinson
    Dodgers (LA) Sandy Koufax (honorable mention-Tommy Lasorda image )
    Expos- Andre Dawson
    Giants- Willie Mays
    Indians- Feller
    Mariners-Griffey Jr.
    Marlins- Ramirez
    Mets- Seaver
    Nationals-Harper
    Orioles- Cal Ripken Jr. (I also thought of Earl Weaver for some reason)
    Padres-Gwynn, no question
    Phillies- Schmidt
    Pirates-Clemente
    Rangers- Again, Nolan Ryan
    Rays- hmmmm. Maybe Longoria.
    Reds- Pete Rose, no question. Honorable mention- Johnny Bench
    Red Sox-Two way tie. Williams and YAZ. Surprised no one mentioned Yaz.
    Rockies- Helton (only by default)
    Royals- Brett
    Senators- Johnson
    Tigers-Ty Cobb
    Twins- Killebrew
    White Sox- F. Thomas
    Yankees-Ruth, Mantle

Edited because I had Carter in the wrong place accidentally.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>A's- Reggie
    Angels- Nolan Ryan
    Astros-frankly, Nolan Ryan came to mind again.
    Blue Jays- have to think about it. Someone else said Halladay, but, meh.
    Braves- Hank Aaron
    Brewers- Yount
    Cards- Stan Musial, no question.
    Cubs- Ernie Banks
    Diamondbacks- Big Unit
    Dodgers (BRK)J. Robinson
    Dodgers (LA) Sandy Koufax (honorable mention-Tommy Lasorda image )
    Expos- Andre Dawson
    Giants- Willie Mays
    Indians- Feller
    Mariners-Griffey Jr.
    Marlins- Ramirez
    Mets- Seaver
    Nationals-Harper
    Orioles- Cal Ripken Jr. (I also thought of Earl Weaver for some reason)
    Padres-Gwynn, no question
    Phillies- Schmidt
    Pirates-Clemente
    Rangers- Again, Nolan Ryan
    Rays- Carter.
    Reds- Pete Rose, no question. Honorable mention- Johnny Bench
    Red Sox-Two way tie. Williams and YAZ. Surprised no one mentioned Yaz.
    Rockies- Helton (by default)
    Royals- Brett
    Senators- Johnson
    Tigers-Ty Cobb
    Twins- Killebrew
    White Sox- F. Thomas
    Yankees-Ruth, Mantle >>

That's a good list. It's funny that Mantle is probably one of the 3 or 4 most recognizable/iconic players of all-time but he is (somewhat surprisingly) overwhelming overshadowed by the Babe.
  • Options
    Boston Braves - Warren Spahn
    New York Giants - Mel Ott
    Kansas City A's - Roger Maris
    Seattle Pilots - Jim Bouton
  • Options
    Blue Jays = George Bell?
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of votes for Joe Carter for the Jays coming in so far. I'm a little surprised only because for some reason George Bell, Tony Fernandez, Jimmy Key, Dave Stieb, and Ernie Whitt all came to mind for me before Carter, probably because he bounced around a few teams instead a bit more frequently than some other guys. I'm not a big Halladay fan but he still was the first one I thought of as a long term Jay who more or less maintained his popularity there.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think if you didn't grow up in the Detroit area, it may be easier to imagine Cobb above Kaline, but I'm willing to be that anyone from here will pick Kaline first. >>

I grew up in Pontiac and I'd select Cobb. No complaints with the pick of Kaline though.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Milwaukee Braves= Hank Aaron
    Atlanta Braves = Bobby Cox (He started the 14-Division title streak several years before Chipper made the major league team. Cox also started the streak several years before the Braves signed Greg Maddux. Cox was the face of the franchise during the franchise's golden era)
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marlins - Jeff Conine >>

now that's funny.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>Astros-frankly, Nolan Ryan came to mind again. >>

Prior to him becoming a partial owner and President of the Rangers, safe to assume most Houstonians (myself included) would have agreed with you. McMullen's name is still mud in these parts for letting Ryan go to Arlington.

Hypothetically if he came back and filled our vacant President's position, he and Biggio would be a 1 A/B situation, depending on the day...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, it says something really great about the quality of a guy who can be reasonably considered the face of three different teams.

Can you think of anyone else besides Nolan Ryan who can make that claim? (no fair counting team name or location changes either-I'm talking 3 different teams)

Side note... only in an alternate universe does Chipper Jones eclipse Hank Aaron as the face of the Braves IMO.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>You know, it says something really great about the quality of a guy who can be reasonably considered the face of three different teams.

Can you think of anyone else besides Nolan Ryan who can make that claim? (no fair counting team name or location changes either-I'm talking 3 different teams)

Side note... only in an alternate universe does Chipper Jones eclipse Hank Aaron as the face of the Braves IMO. >>

To put that into perspective, his son Reid is reportedly becoming the team's President. An overwhelming majority of fans on local radio, print, twitter, etc are absolutely elated. There will always be a negative Nancy but I'd put the positive response around 99.9999%.
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Tigers: Kaline

(Yes, Kaline over Cobb for the face of the franchise as far as I'm concerned) >>

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. >>

Being a life-long Michigan resident, I have to go with Kaline. I never even saw him play, being just a couple years too young. However, between the very long historic career he had with 100% of it in a Tigers uniform, plus a very long broadcasting career for the franchise after that, I really can't imagine anyone being more synonymous with the Detroit Tigers than Al Kaline. It really feels to me like Cobb is a statistically fantastic player who is fun to brag that he played for Detroit and take pride in his on-field accomplishments, but it more or less stops there, where Kaline is the Tigers, revered in every sense. I think if you didn't grow up in the Detroit area, it may be easier to imagine Cobb above Kaline, but I'm willing to be that anyone from here will pick Kaline first. >>

Have to agree--Kaline played in Detroit, stayed in Detroit, I imagine he still lives there, he did spring training and the fantasy camps in Lakeland (don't know if he still does) and was a Tiger TV broadcaster for a couple of decades. For years he signed free autographs at the Detroit Auto Show, baseball card shows, and countless other personal appearances in the area before such autograph sessions became the high-dollar industry that they are currently. After Kaline, I'd rank Whitaker and Trammell (tied, of course) over Cobb.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess ill go with my complete list.

A's- Rickey Henderson
    Angels- Garrett Anderson
    Astros- Craig Biggio
    Blue Jays- Joe Carter
    Braves- Hank Aaron
    Brewers- Robin Yount
    Cards- Stan Musial
    Cubs- Ernie Banks
    Diamondbacks- Randy Johnson
    Dodgers (BRK)- Jackie Robinson
    Dodgers (LA)- Sandy Koufax
    Expos- Andre Dawson
    Giants- Willie McCovey
    Indians- Bob Feller
    Mariners- Ken Griffey Jr.
    Marlins- Luis Gonzalez
    Mets- Tom Seaver
    Nationals- Bryce Harper
    Orioles- Cal Ripken Jr.
    Padres- Tony Gwynn
    Phillies- Mike Schmidt
    Pirates- Roberto Clemente
    Rangers- Nolan Ryan
    Rays- Carl Crawford
    Reds- Johnny Bench
    Red Sox- Ted Williams
    Rockies- Todd Helton
    Royals- George Brett
    Senators- Walter Johnson
    Tigers- Al Kaline
    Twins- Harmon Killebrew
    White Sox- Frank Thomas
    Yankees- Babe Ruth
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    As a Florida resident and a former Marlins fan, what's really sad about the Marlins front office shenanigans is that there really isn't any "face of the Marlins"--any player that ever proved to be of any value to the team immediately became more valuable as trade bait.
  • Options
    Pirates - Honus Wagner
    Brooklyn Dodgers - The Duke
  • Options

<< <i>You know, it says something really great about the quality of a guy who can be reasonably considered the face of three different teams.

Side note... only in an alternate universe does Chipper Jones eclipse Hank Aaron as the face of the Braves IMO. >>

From today's DBJ

<< <i>Many people consider Nolan Ryan to be the greatest player ever for the Texas Rangers. According to the Los Angeles Times, he's also the greatest player to ever don an Angels uniform, too.

...Oh, and did we mention Ryan also is one of the most popular players in the history of Houston Astros? >>

Heh.