Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats a sleeper look like ?? 2012-w burnished Unc ASE

Whats your thoughts on the 2012-w burnished unc. ASE ?
Looks like a much better buy then the new 2 coin 2013 sets .
If you had 20 of the 2012-w unc ASE would you send then in for gradeing or just keep then in the original issue box for now ? The coins are not FS slabable . Thanks Ron
Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
Retired Coin Shop Owner .
Still Collecting
Love my Grandkids and my German Shepherd Dogs . Kind of like my wifes Cat.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a personal decision based on your evaluation of the grades and skill level, and whether or not you think the investment will pay off....Likely will not bring much in the short term when you consider grading fees. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowest mintage w burnished silver eagle ever by a wide margin and priced currently well beneath the 2006w with a much higher mintage. I like the 2012w coin personally. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    202k plus around 30k in the dollar set make this the one to keep....as was mentioned it is the lowest mintage burnished W of the series...
  • Options
    Probably a good "bet" for numismatic potential, with the ounce of silver to limit the downside.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another ultra-modern bullion variety. Will anyone care in ten years ... twenty years ... fifty years?

Maybe they will ... maybe they won't.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Not a big US guy here, and I sold most of my ASE's (used to have a COMPLETE set) so take this with a grain of salt …

The best time to recoup slab costs on bullion strikes is when they're hot off the press. There are always folks willing to pay $50-80 (or more) for 69s and 70s of the current year. You can see it daily on eBay; watch big vendors like Paradise Mint and come next year those same slabs (whatever didn't sell) are half price or less. This is true with silver rounds from all countries but especially the Pandas, Aussies and ASE varieties.

Bottom line: I would not slab now. Let them sit for a while. Like maybe 5-10 years.

Now to play devil's advocate: Right now, there is still a marketable difference between the perceived value of slabbed ASE and raw ASE. In the future, I do not believe this will be the case. So perhaps you should slab and sell the bulk of your lot now, while you can still command some premiums?
    I believe a lot will happen in the slab industry over the next decade, which will drastically change the game. So much silver is going straight into plastic and the percentages increase each year … I believe the value of 69s and 70s - when it comes to bullion - will come way down as people realize they are not "rare" or hard to find. Furthermore, I would not be surprised if by the year 2020 half or more of the ASE struck annually were slabbed 67 or higher with maybe 25% as "first strike" or "early release."
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>202k plus around 30k in the dollar set make this the one to keep....as was mentioned it is the lowest mintage burnished W of the series... >>

Are there 232k Silver Eagle collectors? Doubt it. Prolly enough for 2 or 3 for every collector out there?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Sold my 2012 W first strike PCGS MS 70 that I bought last year for around $90. Made a little profit of $100. Sold all my PCGS ASE 70s because of no guarantee now. Try selling a spotted 70 coin. Good luck.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sleeper looks like a coin that few people talk about. like the 2012 W Burnished Unc AGE.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Furthermore, I would not be surprised if by the year 2020 half or more of the ASE struck annually were slabbed 67 or higher with maybe 25% as "first strike" or "early release." >>

With ASE annual mintages north of 30 million, that would mean at least 15 million ASE's heading for plastic each year. I just don't see that happening.

<< 202k plus around 30k in the dollar set make this the one to keep....as was mentioned it is the lowest mintage burnished W of the series... >>

It's the lowest mintage burnished W, but the key is the 2011-S burnished with a mintage of 100k. I think this will constrain the price of the 2012-W, much like the 1995-W proof has likely dampened the prices of the other low-mintage proofs.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's the lowest mintage burnished W, but the key is the 2011-S burnished with a mintage of 100k. I think this will constrain the price of the 2012-W, much like the 1995-W proof has likely dampened the prices of the other low-mintage proofs."

I agree. But, my prior comment was based on the highest current buy price I could find on the dealer network ... $48 for the 2012-W Burnished Silver Eagle. Quite a bit less costly than the 2011-S which is also my favorite burnished silver eagle right now.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just another ultra-modern bullion variety. Will anyone care in ten years ... twenty years ... fifty years?

Maybe they will ... maybe they won't. >>

Maybe. Maybe Not.

There certainly wasn't a rush to Order the 1995 Anniversary Set but given the low mintage of the SAE Proof and 10 years later, look at it now?

The 2012-W is certainly not cost prohibitive to store a couple away until 4 or 5 years pass IMO.

As silly as it may seem, some folks feel totally comfortable with sinking investment money into these Ultra Modern "bullion" coins. It certainly won't bleed them dry and, just like with silver classics, each coin will always have its silver value regardless of the sets popularity or what the US Mint does to complicate the set. I can understand folks chasing Silver Eagles and playing the "investment/hype" game with these.

Coin collecting is about affordability and interest. The Silver Eagles are certainly affordable and given the US Mints recent offerings, quite interesting. Each coin is well within reach of the collector that wants to complete a set and might just be willing to sink a couple of grand into a key. If I were so inclined, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 95-W Proof. It is, after all, cheaper in the long run than some PR70DCAM Ike!

Hopefully, the 2012-W will earn its keep thereby bringing new collectors (and investors) into the coin market.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the 2008-Reverse-of-2007 coin the lowest minted burnished eagle with around 67k made?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the 2008-Reverse-of-2007 coin the lowest minted burnished eagle with around 67k made? >>

According to US Mint Records, its only 46,318.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The 2012 Uncirculated Dollar sets with the 2012-W Unc. Silver eagle going for $110.00+ Now on E-Bay!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    The 2013's are at 165K. I wonder how these will do.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2013's are at 165K. I wonder how these will do. >>

177,759 counting the 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. Looks like it will become lowest mintage for the six burnished "W" eagles produced thus far if it finishes lower than the 2012 (mintage of 230,872).

ASE Mintages

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sold my 2012 W first strike PCGS MS 70 that I bought last year for around $90. Made a little profit of $100. Sold all my PCGS ASE 70s because of no guarantee now. Try selling a spotted 70 coin. Good luck. >>

While browsing Ebay, I already saw several that were spotted 70's. image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file