Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Barber Dime-Opinion Sought--Update with grade posted!

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Currently in an ICG MS62 holder and has a nice rainbow colors around the rim. I can see hairlines under a loupe on the cheek, lower jaw and neck. I think they can be seen ok on the photo Im using. Do you think I should be worried that it has been cleaned or whizzed at some point or would they be typical for the grade? Will it cross? Will it get back in a holder if cracked out? I did the best I could on the photo. Thanks in advance for the opinions!

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Some faint hairlines and/or slidemarks aren't uncommon on ms62 barber dimes. It has not been whizzed from what I can see in the photo. I would recommend just enjoying the coin as is! image As for crossing, or grading the same it's hard to say from the photo. (From your photo a 62 looks fine to me)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recommend you keep it as is..... do not think it would cross.... may even come back 'cleaned'..Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much concur with what Zas said.
    Not whizzed, should slab Ok anywhere - but at what grade level, well that's always a coin toss (pun intended). At a minimum, AU58 - which is sometimes a great grade to get, with the prices some of those bring.
    Nice coin regardless of the holder/grade.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be much simpler just to buy an MS62 Barber in a PCGS holder.

I think it would regrade to 61 or 62. But there is still the risk of a no grade. In the holder it's currently in, it gets graded raw by most any dealer (ie ignore the assigned grade).
    Most of them will drop it to 61 just "because."
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin ( very attractive, BTW ) does NOT look cleaned or Whizzed.
    The hairlines seem evident on the cheek, and without an inhand inspection,
    I can't say if those are faint slide marks from an old Whitman Bookshelf Album.

I feel that the coin(s) should be submitted raw. Even if they get downgraded to AU 58
    (which they won't because they are clearly MS) they are better off in a PCGS holder rather
    than another Third World holder.

Good luck and I look forward to your "good news" ! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks OK to me. I would crack it out and submit raw to PCGS. Like mike said even in a 58 PCGS holder it is a very nice coin.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi,

not a fan of the brown (re)tone, if thats what it is.

Eric
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I would submit the coin to PCGS for crossover with a low grade accepted of AU 58. If PCGS will not cross it at even 58, at least you have the coin in a graded ICG holder.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update...cracked out the dime and it is now in a PCGS MS63 holder!!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Update...cracked out the dime and it is now in a PCGS MS63 holder!! >>

Not good news for the ICG haters. Very nice! And buying it for $133 was a good deal!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet congrats! I don't think it has ever been cleaned. The reverse is very nice. As for the obv, I would have cracked it out, set it on my bathroom window sill obv up for a couple of months and then submitted it. A few of the hairlines would have toned over. Congrats.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That works! image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice results. I have always ranked ICG ahead of ngc.
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    score
    BT&C
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Good deal - glad you got it into a 63 PCGS holder !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats!

good deal
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file