Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where did this coin come from?!

Up for auction at the next Long Beach. No pedigree or info about the coin's origin noted in the description.

Does this happen often? A 100k, top pop coin with no provenance...

HA auction
Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    there are many great coins lurking out there that have not been married to plastic (yet)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>there are many great coins lurking out there that have not been married to plastic (yet) >>

+1
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure but I can't find the Gallery Mint "COPY" stamp anywhere image

Surprisingly the trip to the dipping jar still left some crud in the lines of the shield.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure but I can't find the Gallery Mint "COPY" stamp anywhere image

Surprisingly the trip to the dipping jar still left some crud in the lines of the shield. >>

Yup. Looks like it's been dipped. Yet, PCGS and CAC apparently liked it. A silver coin over two hundred years old looks unnatural without some toning. As far as its provenance (not pedigree---that's for dogs and horses) being listed on the label, I thought the coin had to come from a famous collection or from a famous owner before the grading services would list it on the label.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Dipped or not . . . That is one helluva 200 year old chunk of metal ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭
    Wow...
  • Options
    DanielBooneDanielBoone Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Beautiful luster but I would have liked to have seen the coin with its natural toning before it was dipped.
    Successful Transactions With: PRoemisch, WTCG, CCFC, barberkeys, lkeigwin, ElmerFusterpuck, 123cents, coin22lover, coinlieutenant and abitofthisabitofthat
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful luster but I would have liked to have seen the coin with its natural toning before it was dipped. >>

I'm guessing the toning was less than attractive and it was dipped for that reason. I wonder how many points the dipping added to the grade. Eye appeal is a grading factor for mint state coins, after all.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful luster but I would have liked to have seen the coin with its natural toning before it was dipped. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipped or not . . . That is one helluva 200 year old chunk of metal ! ! !

not being critical of the poster of this thought, but of the mindset which it represents.

here we have a coin which has without a doubt been dipped(unless you believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy) yet it is adored because it's a Classic issue. were this a much more Modern design it would be ridiculed and the practice of dipping denounced.

hey, I'm just sayin'........................
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I suspect it was recently made more than recently discovered. I suspect it came from an older 65 holder
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks great. I can definitely appreciate a single lustrous but dipped classic coin - I just wouldn't want my entire collection to look that way!
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every once in a while pretty interesting coins show up at auction. This one counts!

Dipped? Almost certainly. The thought that it was recently dipped and "made 67+" is an interesting one. The dip must have been at least a few years ago (or incomplete), as there is some peripheral rim toning that can be seen. In any case, it seems to still be nicely lusterous considering its age.

As to the sanctity of dipping coins like this, I suppose everyone already has their own opinions. Being able to compare its pre-dip look would promote an intersting discussion. I'll just suggest that it's still a fantastic coin and a number of bidders will certainly treat it accordingly.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    It amazes me that they did not go the couple extra bucks for Attribution on that coin.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect it was recently made more than recently discovered. I suspect it came from an older 65 holder >>

This.

I bet if someone knew where to look they could find this coin in a plastic holder with a lower grade pre-dip
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure but I can't find the Gallery Mint "COPY" stamp anywhere image

Surprisingly the trip to the dipping jar still left some crud in the lines of the shield. >>

Yes..dipped alright and rewarded for it too.

I bet you $100 pre-dip it would have never even made it to ms66.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Cow! I want!
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Too white for me.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect it was recently made more than recently discovered. I suspect it came from an older 65 holder >>

This definitely crossed my mind, and you're probably right.

Man, imagine the reaction of whomever submitted it when they saw the grade jump! image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

<< <i>

This definitely crossed my mind, and you're probably right.

Man, imagine the reaction of whomever submitted it when they saw the grade jump! image >>

I bet they knew they scored immediately after the bath but lost their mind when the grades came in. It is a stunning coin in all honestly, remarkable survivor which is what you would expect for the grade, very few coins that old would dip that clean which also speaks to its preservation, the original toning had to be light and even.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin.... I like it this way....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    This might sound a little naïve, but is it really likely that a dipped/faked coin gets past both PCGS and CAC? If so, how often do you think it happens? (i.e., out of 100 cleaned/faked/"problem" coins, how many get past the TPG?)
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭
    In response to BG, I have seen a few dipped coins get past CAC and plenty more go into TPG/PCGS holders. I didn't see anyone call it a fake though, and I doubt that would get past them.

IMHO, the coin shouldn't have been dipped. Now it is very obvious, and will likely turn in the holder to something not worthy of the market grade it was given this time. I am surprised it got into a holder or didn't get dinged more for this obvious unnatural look.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>I am surprised it got into a holder or didn't get dinged more for this obvious unnatural look. >>

Yeah- hence my question. Thanks for your input though. I've never really seen a dipped coin go into a PCGS CAC holder, but I haven't been collecting for long either. I'm just surprised it got such a prestigious label.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am surprised it got into a holder or didn't get dinged more for this obvious unnatural look. >>

Yeah- hence my question. Thanks for your input though. I've never really seen a dipped coin go into a PCGS CAC holder, but I haven't been collecting for long either. I'm just surprised it got such a prestigious label. >>

Dipping does not preclude a PCGS, NGC holder or a CAC sticker. All CAC states is it is highend as to a point that it meets their standards and they would make an offer on it. While they do have high standards they just market grade and the market is ok and always has been ok with dipping as long as not over done. You say you have never seen a PCGS CAC coin that has been dipped; I say you clearly don't know what dipped coins look like then. Most of the coins in holder have been processed to some extent and truly original coins are not close to the majority and actually pretty rare for many series.

Originality's importance is overstated and most people don't want dark dirty coins and speak with their wallets. The TPGs grade based off of these market standards as well. As long as coins are net graded for darkness and luster is factored into a coin's technical grade, coins will have the layers of time stripped off of them to expose the glimmering metal underneath to boost luster and market eye appeal. Tone and skin which are hall marks of originality at the end of the day are only required in small doses for a coin to be all there and people often refer to a light 2nd or 3rd skin as proof of originality. The whole system is nuts and ripe with hypocrisy
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One has to wonder if this is a 1% restoration service product?

Edit to the fact that restoration is 4% not 1% as I was thinking.
  • Options

<< <i>One has to wonder if this is a 1% restoration service product? >>

If so they forgot to repaint it... Oops my bad the "restoration" part always makes me think of antique cars image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Minty fresh!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In response to BG, I have seen a few dipped coins get past CAC and plenty more go into TPG/PCGS holders. I didn't see anyone call it a fake though, and I doubt that would get past them. >>

There are plenty of PCGS and CAC'd coins that have seen their duly time in a dip solution. I have a few of them myself.

All the early 19th century material with nice album toning have been dipped at least once. How else would it develop album toning without hitting the reset button? image

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    All the early 19th century material with nice album toning have been dipped at least once. How else would it develop album toning without hitting the reset button? image >>

Is this a correct statement? I think this is false because toning is a form of thin film interference. The coin should not have been needed to have been "reset" to develop album toning.

EDITED due to accidental double quotes.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>

This.

I bet if someone knew where to look they could find this coin in a plastic holder with a lower grade pre-dip >>

TDN had done something like this with Trade Dollars in the past.

Eric
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

This.

I bet if someone knew where to look they could find this coin in a plastic holder with a lower grade pre-dip >>

Eric >>

Huh?
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This.

Eric >>

Huh? >>

I'm sorry for being unclear - I simply meant I recall your finding old catalog pics of Trades that had once been toned and then...were not. Nothing more :-) Perhaps I am mistaken.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    All the early 19th century material with nice album toning have been dipped at least once. How else would it develop album toning without hitting the reset button? image >>

Is this a correct statement? I think this is false because toning is a form of thin film interference. The coin should not have been needed to have been "reset" to develop album toning. >>

Take an "original" terminal state early date Bust/Seated Dime (as most of them should be after having been around for more than 150 years) and throw it in a brand new Wayte Raymond album. I bet it won't start turning the pretty colors you sometimes see in high grade PCGS/NGC + CAC holders even if you gave it a century.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It came from the U.S. Mint as far as I can tell. Where it's been since is anyone's guess. Though we know where it is now and that's really all that matters.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin has no soul.
  • Options

<< <i>That coin has no soul. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how this dipped properly PCGS67+/CAC dollars out against the nicely toned NGC68/CAC. From what I have seen, the collectors with the deep pockets prefer nicely toned Busties, but PCGS holdered Busties bring more money than NGC Busties. I am looking at this coin to answer to these questions. Remember, most all top end Bustie collectors want PCGS holdered coins, and there is absolutely no guarantee, even with the CAC sticker, that this NGC 68 coin used in this comparison will even grade at PCGS.

Personally, I am not a gambling man, so I would rather own the PCGS holdered coin.

Brian, thanks for starting this thread.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>Too white for me. >>

Agree. A silver coin that is more than 200 years old should have some natural toning. It looks unnatural in its current state.

• Options

Good point.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with the term.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I might like it in hand but I don't like the coin per the pictures...the obverse looks like there are hits and toning spots on the face that make it looks over graded. Since it has been to PCGS and CAC...I assume that at least some of what I am seeing are artifacts based on less than stellar images. I have to agree with the others about the coin having an unnatural look though...
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure in hand it would knock your socks off, if not, YOU have no soul!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file