Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

June Long Beach Expo

I am thinking of going to the Long Beach Expo in June that is advertised at the bottom of the CU pages. Has anyone been to these shows before? By the looks of it there are lots of coin dealers (I don't collect coins, I only collect cards). How many tables of sports cards are usually at these shows? I want to know because I don't want to drag my wife and 5 year old son to a show without any kind of sports card payoff. Thanks.
Steve

Comments

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Went to one of the shows last year. I'd estimate 30-50 sports card dealers. Beware bringing the wife. Several jewelry dealers on the main path back to the sports cards. I walked out with no cards, but my fiancee walked out with a Tahitian pearl necklace! She's now up for that show any time it comes back. hah.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • captainthreeputtcaptainthreeputt Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    On May 18th there will be a show in Culver City.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Esquire. Thanks for the warning. It might get expensive for me.

Do you remember if there was anybody with good unopened wax? I am specifically looking for a 1980 Topps Basketball unopened box. I have contacted Steve at BBCE a couple times and he says he doesn't have any to sell. I thought if this was a fairly big show in the LA area that maybe a trustworthy unopened wax seller would be there so I can pick this up. Since PSA is there I figured I could also drop off some cards for grading and do two things at once.

If anyone else has info on the show (specifically the unopened box question) I'd appreciate your input. Thanks again.
    Steve
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Brian, what are the details on the Culver Show?
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the website for the Culver City show.

http://www.socalsportscollectors.com/#/
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, that Culver City Show is being put on by a great group of guys, including Griffins from here on the board. He's even skipping his usual Saturday pottery yoga class to be there. If you're in the area come on down, Griffins is buying everyone beers!
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brian, what are the details on the Culver Show? >>

I try to go every time it is in town. I'd like to show my support so hopefully it continues to grow.
    There were a couple dealers with unopened material. I can't remember if they had any 1980 unopened, but they had a lot of lose packs.

I enjoyed the show, brought my son and my friend with his daughter. We ended up at Islands across the street for dinner.

I also live about 30 miles away if that helps.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI, that Culver City Show is being put on by a great group of guys, including Griffins from here on the board. He's even skipping his usual Saturday pottery yoga class to be there. If you're in the area come on down, Griffins is buying everyone beers! >>

Except for the part about the pottery yoga and buying beers, should be a fun show. Lots of dealers already signed up, so there should be a wide variety of material. And admission is free.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭
    Soulds like a great idea FREE admission and Free parking rarities these days!! Beats going to Framl amd Sons shows.If you a member or PSA or have a set in the registry you can get Free admission for two .
  • ZillaZilla Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I'll be there on Saturday. Anyone else going? For those who are, there's a little shop in the area that just bought a bunch of unopened 81-87 wax. I think I'm going stop by and take a look first hand. If anyone wants more info, just PM me.
    I'll be going for a few Oscar Roberton autographs. LMK if anyone needs me to get Big O signatures. They're $60/ea
    Just got back from the show.

I took my son, my buddy took his daughter. It was very similar to the last Long Beach show. Didn't buy a whole lot, but I always make it a point to buy something to help support the local dealers. I picked up a '70 Aaron that looks to grade a 7 and a Upper Deck Game Used Bat Roberto Clemente. Had a great conversation with the "Babe Ruth Dealer," about what would be the best biography to read about Babe. He suggested, "The Year Babe Ruth 104 Home Runs," and spoke about his conversations with Ruth's grandson. I wished that PSA would have a "In-Show Special," because I had about 35 cards to get graded, but the special calls for 50 and they wouldn't budge on lowering the amount. Looks like I will be waiting until the National, I hope they have some good specials.
    After the show, we decided to drive down 2nd street and eat at Taco Surf....one of my favorite places to eat.

Once again, another great time in the LBC!

Paul
    How many card tables? I'll be there early Saturday.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    How's the graded card scene there? Might bring the whole family thanks to that jewelry angle.
    10-15 tables max. Most of the same tables as usual. I'm sure tomorrow will be busy with the autographs.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    My buddy and I will be there tomorrow after hitting Frank and Sons early and a local card shop.

Justin
    I'm here now. There's really only 8-10 card tables like PDub said. It's all the same guys that are at every show. Seven were at Culver City and one is a regular frank and son dealer.

And as an observation, I must say that I can't figure out how big dollar cards at shows ever sell. When I go to a card show, I'm always bargain hunting. Absolutely no bargains to be had on big cards - all can be found graded and cheaper online.