Options

Oofa! A Pack Rip Gone Bad

Comments

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    That sucks! I hope it ends well though.
  • Options

<< <i>That sucks! I hope it ends well though. >>

Yeah... That's pretty bad! I just stumbled across the video. It was not my pack, so I do not know if they were able to get their money back.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, that appears to be a "fun pack" from 1976. Topps produced 2-3 card fun packs from 1974 through 1977, iirc, (2-card 1974 fun packs are fairly common with the other years tougher to find), and they were known to use wrappers from previous years as well. So the pack is propbably authentic but obviously should not have been authenticated as a 75 mini wax pack.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    interesting. I have never seen a '75 2 card pack. In fact I only know of '74 2 card packs. Were there other years?

In any event not only should it not have been slabbed as a '75 mini, it should not have been slabbed at all.

new generation flip?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Wonder why he included PSA in the title when it was graded by GAI. Additional hits?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

,,,should it not have been slabbed as a '75 mini...

I don't think it was labeled as a "mini". The guy says
    at the beginning that it's a "full size" pack.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    mattinglymint23mattinglymint23 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭
    Don't think it was labeled mini and he does say its full size.
    But if a fun pack it was mislabeled. Question is did topps do 3 card 76 fun packs with 75 wrappers?
    I'm sure grote knows of what he speaks. How did gai miss that. The thinness of the pack should have raised a grader brow, no?
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I know for sure there were 2 card packs in 1974 Topps because a friend of mine owns around 200 of them. Never heard of 1975-77 being a two card pack as well. GAI should have noted that the pack contained two cards on the flip.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    i remember bbce having 2 card mini packs fo $10 years back for a short time. my thought was oh joy, wax and gum stains.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the video he says he is sending it back. Would EBAY side with the buyer on something like this after they opened it?

The seller could have not known either and was trusting GAI to get it right and now that the holder has been destroyed and the pack opened it is essentially worthless.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Just noticed it also didn't include any 35+ year old gum. Huh, wonder where he could get some...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>i remember bbce having 2 card mini packs fo $10 years back for a short time. my thought was oh joy, wax and gum stains. >>

Jim is correct. Steve has had fun packs for sale from both 1975 and 1977 on his site in the past. I've owned a few 75 mini fun packs, too.

I seriously doubt any resealer would be brazen enough to a) use just 3 cards for a supposedly 10-card pack and b) use all cards from a diofferent year on top of that.

The pack is very likely authentic (as a 1976 fun pack), but GAI should not have slabbed it (if they did, I can't tell what it says on the flip in the video) as a 1975 Topps mini wax pack with no reference to it being a fun pack (or 3-card pack, which is how many cards were in a fun pack in these years as opposed to 2 cards in '74). Obviously, a fun pack is much lighter than a regular size mini pack which contains 10 cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    GAI....need I say more?
  • Options

<< <i>GAI....need I say more? >>

Actually the vast majority of GAI packs, particularly those in the older silver flip holders are perfectly fine. I have personally opened well over 100 GAI graded wax packs from the 1970s, and have encountered only a handful that were either resealed or questionable.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In the video he says he is sending it back. Would EBAY side with the buyer on something like this after they opened it?

The seller could have not known either and was trusting GAI to get it right and now that the holder has been destroyed and the pack opened it is essentially worthless. >>

I believe ebay will side with the seller since it was a third party that authenticated, graded and encapsulated the pack.

In order to avoid this situation in the future the buyer should weigh the slab and pack so that if he ever buys a '75 pack again he has a way of making sure there are at least enough cards in the pack to match the 3rd party labeling. Since '75 wax packs contained 10 cards per pack it would at least be easy to tell the difference based on weight. >>

and don't forget to account for the weight of the...

• Options
    I noticed GAI also holders full boxes.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like ripping some vintage wax at ChiChi's on a Kids Eat free night.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i>

Actually the vast majority of GAI packs, particularly those in the older silver flip holders are perfectly fine. I have personally opened well over 100 GAI graded wax packs from the 1970s, and have encountered only a handful that were either resealed or questionable. >>

Just curious...have you had a handful of the same with psa holders?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually the vast majority of GAI packs, particularly those in the older silver flip holders are perfectly fine. I have personally opened well over 100 GAI graded wax packs from the 1970s, and have encountered only a handful that were either resealed or questionable. >>

Just curious...have you had a handful of the same with psa holders? >>

You're aware that PSA slabbed a whole wack of resealed cello's right? I'd suggest every TPG has let a handful of packs / cards slip through.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You're aware that PSA slabbed a whole wack of resealed cello's right? I'd suggest every TPG has let a handful of packs / cards slip through. >>

Honestly I didn't....which is why I asked the question. It's good to know this and it keeps me mildly interested in purchasing gai packs in the future if the price is right.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You're aware that PSA slabbed a whole wack of resealed cello's right? I'd suggest every TPG has let a handful of packs / cards slip through. >>

Honestly I didn't....which is why I asked the question. It's good to know this and it keeps me mildly interested in purchasing gai packs in the future if the price is right. >>

I don't know much about GAI but in reading these and other forums there seems to be a lot of cards/packs/auto's that are bogus ending up in all kinds of slabs. Seems with packs the best way to know if they are real is to open them. That would be the challenge with Authenticating packs - you can't go inside and look at the gum, sequencing, condition of cards, etc. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to get fake packs past TPG's because all they can rely on is the outside appearance.

Would be interesting to know how many packs get rejected by PSA as no good.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Maybe someone can answer this for me.....there was the big controversy a while back about some cellos PSA had slabbed that someone claimed they had made and gotten past PSA and Steve. But what proof did was there other than someone saying they did it? I remember the thread, but I don't remember any solid proof. Not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to get facts.

**Edited to add*

Feel free to PM me with the information. I don't want this thread to turn bad, like I said, I'm just looking for the facts.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Confirming above, 1976 fun packs in 1975 wrappers now for available on BBCE site:

1976 fun pack in 1975 wrapper

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Confirming above, 1976 fun packs in 1975 wrappers now for available on BBCE site:

1976 fun pack in 1975 wrapper >>

TWO cards? That's not a lot of fun.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TWO cards? That's not a lot of fun. >>

It's fun if you are Topps. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I remember my mom buying those for halloween and hoping she wouldn't give all of them out so I could keep the rest.

They would come in a big bag and have maybe 40-50 in each bag if I remember right
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I missed this thread the first time around, so I'm glad to have seen it this time. It's good to learn something new about the hobby.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>new generation flip? >>

Manny, that looks like an original flip.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Nothing like ripping some vintage wax at ChiChi's on a Kids Eat free night. >>

lmao