Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 1 & 2, 2013: Large Cent and 4 Silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
Got out for a couple hours after work yesterday. The first place wasn't all that productive, so hit the backup place, which is where I really wanted to go anyway. First signal was a 1945-P War Nickel. A little while later a clear signal revealed a 1937 Merc. Kind of surprising as this area was covered pretty well last year. A bit later, in an area that was covered by heavy grass in the summer brought up a 1960 Roosie. Finally, in another area that was covered last year was a 1940 Merc. It's possible that the detector hit them at a different angle than last year, or possibly the winter frost pushed them from on edge, to flat. Either way it was a nice treat! Also got a gold plated ring, possibly vintage. It looked like it may have almost been solid gold underneath the green, BUT, I mangled the band with just my fingers trying to scrape it off. The inside of the band isn't gold.

Got out today to the old faithful field with a good buddy. Was hoping he'd get his first old button, or even a large cent. Unfortunately, he didn't get much, but about 15 minutes in, a quarter signal appeared. Thinking it may have been a soda can, I dug down, but saw a copper disc instead! First Large Cent of the year. Can't get a date, but the design resembles the late 1830s Matron head. Also got an odd copper/brass piece. Looks like it was clasped to leather. You can still see some of the leather on the back. Any idea what it is?

HH all!

Update: looks like that brass piece is a horse harness decorative piece. Still not sure of age, but at least it's identified!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds...That site is very good to you....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick ups image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome as usual. Wow, you really rake in the goodies.

I'd say that brass harness escutcheon is of roughly the same vintage as your large cent.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.