Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Observations from afar...

A lot has happened in the past month or so. Stephen Strasburg has become an investors worst nightmare (thankfully I didn't ride that boat), Zack Wheeler can't pitch in Las Vegas (unfortunately, I have tickets for that cruise) and Bryce Harper is a beast -- is still only 20 years old and as long as he avoids playing the OF like Fred Lynn, the sky's the limit. Manny Machado is the most underrated 20 year old in the Majors. And as much as some things change, too many things stay the same.

The bickering and infighting (something I oft times indulged in) haven't ceased. As much as a few like to suggest that I'm a catalyst, my absence didn't effect any change in that venue. Obviously some are not architects as there's no way that the outhouse should be in the middle of the kitchen. Reflecting on one's posting history and stories should be a prerequisite to any further posts. I could never tell a teacher that the dog ate my homework and the next week write an essay on how much I love my cat since it is the only family pet.

So, with my new prescription of Xanax in hand, I resume my foray into the world of CU...

Comments

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    How'd a newbie get so many posts?
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back!image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    love the analogy of the architect with the outhouse in the middle of the kitchen. That will get tucked in my hat for future use image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back philosophizer.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Scott, please bring some sanity back to the boards.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    mehhhh...............image
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    reread the Strasburg thread...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could never tell a teacher that the dog ate my homework and the next week write an essay on how much I love my cat since it is the only family pet.
    There was a young man who murdered both his parents and his lawyer asked the court to go easy on him since he was after all an orphan.
    Glad you're back. This place is not as dignified without you.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    No talk of Trout?
  • Options

<< <i>No talk of Trout? >>

Hehe...I was just thinking that! How is the god of WAR doing this year?

Actually, although I am completely biased I want to say this now so that I can claim to be the first to predict this: Miguel Cabrera has a legitimate shot to hit .400 this year! I have watched him closely his entire Tigers career and he is swinging differently this year. I really believe that he has decided to shoot for that goal (just a hunch). I remember so many of Brett's hits going opposite field the year he hit .390 and I see Miggy going to rightfield almost exclusively.
    BTW - welcome back OTW - I don't think we overlapped so I missed many of your posts except I seem to remember you correcting my tendency to type providence when I meant provenance image
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Evening,

Welcome back Scott.....glad to see that somebody realized a clear injustice....And BTW...Thanksimage

YeeHahaimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No talk of Trout? >>

Hehe...I was just thinking that! How is the god of WAR doing this year?

Actually, although I am completely biased I want to say this now so that I can claim to be the first to predict this: Miguel Cabrera has a legitimate shot to hit .400 this year! I have watched him closely his entire Tigers career and he is swinging differently this year. I really believe that he has decided to shoot for that goal (just a hunch). I remember so many of Brett's hits going opposite field the year he hit .390 and I see Miggy going to rightfield almost exclusively.
    BTW - welcome back OTW - I don't think we overlapped so I missed many of your posts except I seem to remember you correcting my tendency to type providence when I meant provenance image >>

Is it OT to say that Trout is having a lousy opening season?
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, throw the Xanax away and post as always!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I could never tell a teacher that the dog ate my homework and the next week write an essay on how much I love my cat since it is the only family pet. >>

I heard you can get your furry little friend a bathroom kit that includes 35 year old cat litter.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Who is this Scott person?
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Scott. We missed you!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Well, since I wrote the original post after having my hiatus lifted, I've noticed a few things haven't changed. If the Mods will indulge me, I would like to offer a little advice that I think may go a long way to aiding those that suffer the same affliction that used to make my skin crawl and my fingers tap out vitriol through the keyboard...

1. If there are are posters that you don't like or find yourself constantly at odds with, just ignore them and their posts. Engaging with such folks only drags you to their lowly level where they can then beat you with experience. Some of them actually thrive on the attention -- as any attention is GOOD attention in their eyes.

2. CU should not be responsible for the actions of posters on other forums or selling platforms. To expect CU Mods to take action against someone that is not breaking the rules of CU because others disagree with their actions elsewhere will only result in getting one's frustration level elevated to the point of themselves violating the CU rules (see #1).

3. There are plenty of great threads and thoughts shared on the boards. There are many that provide a great wealth of information. Not all answers are accurate and not all who respond know what they're talking about. Learn who the knowledgeable folks are and who the ones are that just post to see themselves included.

4. There is a SEARCH feature that allows keyword searches to provide answers to many of the mundane questions that are asked regularly. I might suggest that some utilize this function before asking where to buy CS1's or how to prepare a package to send to PSA. There is also a search engine called Google that will help with many of the other questions. Rather than be lazy and expect others to do the work for you, exercise your fingers and search before asking.

5. Not all graded cards of the same grade are created equal. The difference between a high end PSA 10 and a lowend PSA 10 can be dramatic and many forget that, by definition, a PSA 10 does not have to be perfect. Most of us realize this and don't need to be reminded every time someone sees a lesser grade card for sale on eBay.

6. When you get frustrated reading a thread or with a poster, close the thread and move on to the next one. Hitting the REPLY button and banging away at the keyboard in frustration will solve little. I've been there. I've done that. I've learned to live by #1 above in most cases. It has made the boards more enjoyable.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    IMO time spent reading what Scott posts is time wisely invested.

Having said that, the first thing that came to mind when the thread was bumped was to create a spoof thread.

Observations from Jafar...

For instance: "You're speechless, I see. A fine quality in a wife."

Not gonna lie - I miss spoof threads. This place has gotten pretty sterile.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>IMO time spent reading what Scott posts is time wisely invested.

Having said that, the first thing that came to mind when the thread was bumped was to create a spoof thread.

Observations from Jafar...

For instance: "You're speechless, I see. A fine quality in a wife."

Not gonna lie - I miss spoof threads. This place has gotten pretty sterile. >>

yeah, right? i kinda prefer an Observation from a Favre. but that's just me. image

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i kinda prefer an Observation from a Favre. but that's just me. image

image >>

Sterger's best asset(s), like many posts on these boards, has been deleted. I'm not sure that she's one of Perkdog's Perkies anymore as a result...
  • Options

<< <i>Well, since I wrote the original post after having my hiatus lifted, I've noticed a few things haven't changed. If the Mods will indulge me, I would like to offer a little advice that I think may go a long way to aiding those that suffer the same affliction that used to make my skin crawl and my fingers tap out vitriol through the keyboard...

1. If there are are posters that you don't like or find yourself constantly at odds with, just ignore them and their posts. Engaging with such folks only drags you to their lowly level where they can then beat you with experience. Some of them actually thrive on the attention -- as any attention is GOOD attention in their eyes.

2. CU should not be responsible for the actions of posters on other forums or selling platforms. To expect CU Mods to take action against someone that is not breaking the rules of CU because others disagree with their actions elsewhere will only result in getting one's frustration level elevated to the point of themselves violating the CU rules (see #1).

3. There are plenty of great threads and thoughts shared on the boards. There are many that provide a great wealth of information. Not all answers are accurate and not all who respond know what they're talking about. Learn who the knowledgeable folks are and who the ones are that just post to see themselves included.

4. There is a SEARCH feature that allows keyword searches to provide answers to many of the mundane questions that are asked regularly. I might suggest that some utilize this function before asking where to buy CS1's or how to prepare a package to send to PSA. There is also a search engine called Google that will help with many of the other questions. Rather than be lazy and expect others to do the work for you, exercise your fingers and search before asking.

5. Not all graded cards of the same grade are created equal. The difference between a high end PSA 10 and a lowend PSA 10 can be dramatic and many forget that, by definition, a PSA 10 does not have to be perfect. Most of us realize this and don't need to be reminded every time someone sees a lesser grade card for sale on eBay.

6. When you get frustrated reading a thread or with a poster, close the thread and move on to the next one. Hitting the REPLY button and banging away at the keyboard in frustration will solve little. I've been there. I've done that. I've learned to live by #1 above in most cases. It has made the boards more enjoyable. >>

I agree with the Mod here guys, he knows what he's talking about, why not just make your rules a sticky note?