Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NewP 1870-CC Seated Liberty Quarter

Recently bought raw on eBay. Off to the slab factory shortly, where I think VF details would be appropriate.

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    These puppies are rare, like any 4-digit mintage business strike should be image

I'd much rather own a damaged VF (like yours) than a slick FR/AG

Love it! It should have no problem grading VF-Det image

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What! Not off to the repair factory? image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find... truly a rare piece...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much (MUCH) nicer than seller's pictures - you did well.

I would see how much to have it professionally repired for the hole. I can live with the scratches.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go for the repair. And I think the coin would be worth more with the hole filled, if they do a nice job.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd go for the repair. And I think the coin would be worth more with the hole filled, if they do a nice job. >>

I agree.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    rare is always rare
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    so your the one that bought it.... congrats. yeah its a tad beat up but what the heck, shes worth it !
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C.M. wanted to make sure everyone knew it was his coin.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did I miss this thread? Wow rare coin.
  • Options
    It's on ebay now for 6k.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    of all the coins that someone could have fished out of their pocket in the 1870's it has to be a 70cc that was drilled out on that fateful day.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>of all the coins that someone could have fished out of their pocket in the 1870's it has to be a 70cc that was drilled out on that fateful day. >>

If it hadn't been holed, it would probably have remained in circulation and eventually been lost or destroyed, like most of this date.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

BustHalfBrian: <<I'd much rather own a damaged VF (like yours) than a slick FR/AG>>

I disagree. I like 19th century, Fair-02 grade coins that have pleasant natural toning and have minimal problems. In many ways these are really neat. Although I have tremendous respect for GoldenEye, I really cannot become enthusiastic about this purchase. Where should pertinent lines be drawn? Should we all buy coins that have much added metal and/or have been polished, too?

I am very fond of the Battle Born 1870-CC, one of the greatest circulated coins that I have ever seen:

Battle Born 1870-CC Liberty Seated Quarter

In other contexts, mostly in past auction reviews, I have written positive remarks about several not gradable 1870-CC quarters. Some of those in PCGS details holders have problems that are relatively minor in contrast to the one pictured at the top of this thread. Indeed, there are quite a few not gradable 1870-CC that are desirable.
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options

<< <i>BustHalfBrian: <<I'd much rather own a damaged VF (like yours) than a slick FR/AG>>

I disagree. I like 19th century, Fair-02 grade coins that have pleasant natural toning and have minimal problems. In many ways these are really neat. Although I have tremendous respect for GoldenEye, I really cannot become enthusiastic about this purchase. Where should pertinent lines be drawn? Should we all buy coins that have much added metal and/or have been polished, too?

I am very fond of the Battle Born 1870-CC, one of the greatest circulated coins that I have ever seen:

Battle Born 1870-CC Liberty Seated Quarter

In other contexts, mostly in past auction reviews, I have written positive remarks about several not gradable 1870-CC quarters. Some of those in PCGS details holders have problems that are relatively minor in contrast to the one pictured at the top of this thread. Indeed, there are quite a few not gradable 1870-CC that are desirable. >>

I absolutely agree. If I were buying the coin as a collector (instead of a flip), and if the prices were the same, I would take a certified Fair over this piece any day.
  • Options
    Me?
    Just do it.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I like it.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    still a good rare coin.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also would rather have the lower grade problem free coin.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Dimeman: <<I also would rather have the lower grade problem free coin. >>

Most collectors are budget-minded and I hope that people keep in mind that there are many, inexpensive, terrific, classic U.S. coins that are characterized by pleasant natural toning and honest wear, with no serious problems. In another words, a collector does not need to spend a fortune to acquire many classic U.S. coins that are scarce, attractive, naturally toned and qualify for numerical grades from the PCGS.

Many Exciting, Classic U.S. coins are not Expensive

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file