Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How about this one i don't remember me doing this to it.

Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
I must of bought it this way i never did this to any of my coins. It looks like it has a lacquer coating on it. Now what do i do. Should i send it in for grading or just send it in for fixing with grading? Any help is appreciated, Type2. image

Hoard the keys.

Comments

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it to me! image
  • Options
    I would hand it over to you but i never see you around any more. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A soak in acetone should remove the lacquer but I suggest letting the professionals at PCGS handle this restoration.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>A soak in acetone should remove the lacquer but I suggest letting the professionals at PCGS handle this restoration. >>

I think you are right I'll send it off to them in the AM. Some times you need that little push to do the right thing. Thanks guy's...... image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A soak in acetone should remove the lacquer but I suggest letting the professionals at PCGS handle this restoration. >>

I think you are right I'll send it off to them in the AM. Some times you need that little push to do the right thing. Thanks guy's...... image >>

I suggested letting the pros conserve it because it looks like an expensive coin. If it were an inexpensive coin I would have suggest that you attempt the soak it in acetone yourself.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lacquor is easily removed. Hopefully it is not hiding alot of hairlining. I personally believe the practice of lacquoring copper played a big role in the preservation of many early copper coins.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    That is beautiful...image
    Becky
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome coin.... very, very nice..... good luck with the conservation effort... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conjugate the verb "lack" and add acetone.

Lacquer
    Like 'er
    Love her
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like something in the J-239,40,41,42 grouping, so it's worth $1000's.

Suggestion: If it's lacquer (and it looks like it) the lacquer will come off with acetone and needs no professional conservation. Maybe one or two soaks, and a dunk for final residue removal. A little finger/thumb action will loosen the more persistent gunk and won't damage the surfaces. I've done this hundreds of times. Nothing has exploded and no fume damage to my lungs. Saves a Benjamin or two.

If that doesn't work, restoration service. image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've done this hundreds of times. Nothing has exploded and no fume damage to my lungs. >>

What aboot the brain damage? image
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like something in the J-239,40,41,42 grouping, so it's worth $1000's.

Suggestion: If it's lacquer (and it looks like it) the lacquer will come off with acetone and needs no professional conservation. Maybe one or two soaks, and a dunk for final residue removal. A little finger/thumb action will loosen the more persistent gunk and won't damage the surfaces. I've done this hundreds of times. Nothing has exploded and no fume damage to my lungs. Saves a Benjamin or two. >>

I would certainly recommend the OP practice first on something cheap and replaceable.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've done this hundreds of times. Nothing has exploded and no fume damage to my lungs. >>

What aboot the brain damage? image >>

I want to see the two of you go at it. The popcorn is already popped.image
    Paul
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>

The only thing I can argue about (much) in the post is his spelling. Otherwise, why quibble about a little THC image

BTW, re: explosions, don't use the two together image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The only thing I can argue about (much) in the post is his spelling. Otherwise, why quibble about a little THC image

BTW, re: explosions, don't use the two together image >>

Must be Canadian.
    Paul
  • Options
    Could be from northern Maine. Canucks sneaking over the border all the time, Eh?

The immigration debate goes on, but evidently they bribe their way through ICE with cases of Molson's image

Back On Topic. The coin is ungradeable with lacquer on it. If there are hairlines, it will still grade unless it's really badly cleaned or FUBAR color is revealed. They seem more forgiving on many lower-end patterns than regular issues. Prepare for some color change after the surfaces are exposed to the atmosphere for a few days. This is the reason copper was lacquered in the first place. The color in the photo is really off. Already dipped before lacquering or just an imaging issue?

Show me that "restoration service" can take off "whatever" and maintain a lack of oxidation and I'll buy restoration as option #1. Doable. NGC methodology is in the public domain. I just saw a great job done by PCGS on a friend's $20K+dark proof copper coin. No upgrade expected or given, but much more saleable.

This might not be my recommendation on more mainstream issues.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moosehead! image
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    nothing on there that a rat tail file and a carding brush cant fix image as far as the border is concerned...those Canadian women are all legal...we pay a bag of moosemeat for each one
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

It is a J-238 in copper. The J-237 is in silver.
    Obv. is Longacre's French Liberty head
    Rev. is "Cereal Wreath" with enclosed HALF DOLLAR

Here's one that sold in 2008 as an NGC Proof 63 brn
    Look here
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...... does not cause brain damage, just induces a propensity towards verbosity without obfuscation of intended proclamation.

edited to add:

Nice coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file