Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collecting advice please on classic proof coins

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
If one was to desire to collect a classic proof coin series(Liberty nickels for example), what would be decent goal to have that would match quality and value? PR64-66, possibly better? Cameo?? Ultra cameo??? Its not my area of expertise but I just really am curious what the experts felt.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may sound silly, but quality vs. value will depend mightily upon what qualities folks value. In other words, the answer to your question will be highly dependent upon the individual collector.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your budget. Personally, I would recommend collectin the grade where you don't mind financially to pay up to 50% more for a premium quality example and then go for the most eye appealing coins possible.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like TDN's answer. Regarding 'value': as a collector, I would be tempted to look at price differences between sets of grades, say 64 and 65 or 65 and 66, in the proof series you are interested in. Sometimes there is a really big price jump from one grade to the next and you would be able to more comfortably collect coins in the grade just below the price jump, without sacrificing too much in terms of eye appeal.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I collect some series in PR63, another in PR64, some in PR65, and one in PR66.

I will pay a premium for cameos, not crazy premiums though. Deep cameos are sufficiently uncommon that I wouldn't try to base a collection on them, although I have owned a few.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one was to desire to collect a classic proof coin series(Liberty nickels for example), what would be decent goal to have that would match quality and value? PR64-66, possibly better? Cameo?? Ultra cameo?

Not that you asked, but FWIW I'll say that it has been 20+ years since I've met anyone building a set of proof Liberty Nickels in anything less than PR66.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    abitofthisabitofthatabitofthisabitofthat Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If one was to desire to collect a classic proof coin series(Liberty nickels for example), what would be decent goal to have that would match quality and value? PR64-66, possibly better? Cameo?? Ultra cameo?

Not that you asked, but FWIW I'll say that it has been 20+ years since I've met anyone building a set of proof Liberty Nickels in anything less than PR66. >>

FWIW -I am actively building a proof lib nickel set in PCGS 65CAM. A high end 65 can be a very attractive coin.

merse

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While there are some decent pieces available in PR-64 holders, generally you are going to have buy them in PR-65 and 66 to get a nice looking set.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    My icon coin was very reasonably priced, a PR63 Benson from the Goldberg auction, and supplied a lot of bang for the buck! I remember Carl liked it very much. I switched it with a 92 Pr63Cam that had been dipped long ago (I kept the '06 icon coin).

Eric
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends on your budget. Personally, I would recommend collectin the grade where you don't mind financially to pay up to 50% more for a premium quality example and then go for the most eye appealing coins possible. >>

+1
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file