Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

searching thru change jars, what to look for?

I'v and Jeffe going thru many bags, coffee cans, whatever I could find at the time. Now I have a little time, all is of course modern , do I need even say that. Can you help me look for any coin that may have slipped by all of you. Just kidding, I know you are all in the same hunt. I know about Wisconsion{?} leafs, Jeff. nickles mint locations, but what else? I'm not a variety collector but don't want one to get by when it can be a prizzed{?} possession.image

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I'll try to keep this list short because it is quite a long list. Here's everything I can think of right now:

Cents
    Any Wheat cent or Indian cent (look out especially for the 1955 DDO and the other usual keys)
    The 1960 varieties (a search here will find them for you exactly)
    1969-S DDO
    1970-S DDO
    1971 DDO
    1972 DDO
    1983 DDR
    1984 Doubled Ear
    1992-D Close AM
    1995 DDO
    1998 Wide AM
    1999 Wide AM
    2000 Wide AM

And if you have a lot of free time, set aside all of the 1983 cents and weigh them. If it weighs around 3.11 grams, you have a winner.

Nickels
    Any Buffalo nickels or V nickels (or Shield nickels if you're really lucky)
    1939-D
    Anything from 1942 with large mintmark above Monticello (silver) and all coins dated 1943-1945 (silver)
    1943/2-P
    1943 Doubled Eye
    1950-D
    2004 DDO
    2005-D Speared Bison
    2009 P and D coins aren't really worth anything but I still set them aside since they're very hard to come across

I generally keep anything dated before 1960 just for the "oldness" factor but they're probably not worth anything much above face.

Dimes
    Anything dated 1964 or earlier
    1965 silver
    1982 No Mintmark
    1996-W
    2009 P and D coins aren't really worth anything but I still set them aside since they're very hard to come across

Quarters
    1965 silver
    1971-D DDR
    1976-D DDO
    Anything dated 1982 and 1983 in uncirculated condition
    2004-D Extra Leaf Quarters
    2009-D DDR

Halves
    Anything dated 1965-1969
    1970-D
    1982 no FG
    1987 any mintmark
    Anything dated 2002 or afterwards (really up to you as they were not released for general circulation but really aren't worth more than face)

Dollars
    Eisenhower dollars can be sold at a small profit above face if you have a lot of those
    1979 Wide Rim
    2000 Cheerios
    2000 Wounded Eagle
    Any Sacagawea dated 2002 or afterwards (really up to you as they were not released for general circulation but really aren't worth more than face)
    2007 Washington Missing Edge Lettering
    2007 Adams with doubled edge lettering
    Basically, just check any 2007-present dollar you see for any missing or doubled, etc. edge lettering

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick up the Cherrypickers Guide to Die varieties. One nice find will pay for the book many times over.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any gold coin that has a star on it and says four dollars.
  • Options
    Welcome!

Any type H quarters (quite similiar to type B).
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums as well. tightbudget had a good list there to start and more will chime in to help.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best bet is to buy the inexpensive folders for the coins. These are fun to fill with the nicest
    specimens you can find and will provide a handy reference collection so you can compare with suspected
    varieties. These sets are all "easy" to fill except some of the early S-mint cents. Finding nice examples of
    the early dates might mean only VF unless you look at a lot of coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the info. Special thanks to "tight b" for the list. Will it be ok to print it to keep by my side? The search/scan is already more fun. I too am on a tight -b and this really helps!image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and nice job tightbudget.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    I've found several 83's don't have a way to weigh them yet, but will. What makes them special, if I don't sound to dumb?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarters
    1965 silver

1965 silver??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've found several 83's don't have a way to weigh them yet, but will. What makes them special, if I don't sound to dumb? >>

1983 Copper Penny

imageimage
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the DDO 70'S & 69 Lincoln Cent big $$$ coins. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard coincrop3..... get a Redbook and Cherrypickers guide and go coin by coin....good luck...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to all for the info. Special thanks to "tight b" for the list. Will it be ok to print it to keep by my side? The search/scan is already more fun. I too am on a tight -b and this really helps!image >>

Feel free to print it! And if anyone has anything else to add or amend, feel free to do that as well.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Anything written by Bill Fivaz will be invaluable to you. If you live near Atlanta, GA check out the MCCA meetings he is often in attendance. He also does free seminars at conventions look for his name.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file