Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay no longer funny but now absurd policy violation? Final Update

Good grief, just got this email, apparently I'm supposed to list Gold coins in the silver category?

Dear Casman
You recently listed the following listing:

181132255200 - 2012 W $50 GOLD EAGLE PCGS FIRST STRIKE MS 70 BURNISHED KING OF THE GOLD EAGLES!

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:

You listed an American Eagle in Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Gold > Coins . Please list these items in Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Silver > American Eagle.

I called and was advised that I'm supposed to list this item in the silver eagle category to which I replied Why?

She then asked what exactly it was that I was listing to which I repeated the title...I then asked her why would anybody list a gold coin as a silver eagle....I was then told they're escalating this matter for further investigation and that I shouldn't relist until they send me an email.

Am I nutz or are they nutz? What am I missing here?

Update: Spoke to 5 more people from ebay today. I'm still restricted and can't list anything while they further investigate which they said would take between 24-72 hours. They are serious that all gold eagles must be listed as Silver American eagles even though they are not silver because that is just the category it must go in and that doesn't mean it's silver but they can't have the buyers getting confused because that'll lead to fewer sales etc..

All I could really say in reply to them was What???

I asked the last Gal to walk me through screen by screen just how exactly they wanted me to list this gold coin and long story short she couldn't do it the way she told me it had to be done. I asked her if they we're going to inform the other 9,000 gold eagle sellers not including apmex which also lists the same way I did? She said she couldn't say until they're done with their escalated investigation.

If I'm allowed to list again, I may have to take a tutorial on how to do it properly.

Comments

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I think we need to see pictures of the Burnished King of the Gold Eagles to properly determine the answer to your question.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    software glitch
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Did you explain that there are Gold, Platinum, and Silver eagles to them?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody complained that eagles are not gold unless they are Golden Eagles. Obviously you didn't give
    it much thought. image

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I wish someone with a numismatic background would
    become in charge of listing / dealing with / coins on eBay.

That clerk is crazy.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Computer programmers wrote the code to look for "Eagle" per I am sure the Requirements given to them from the business folks who tell the programmers what to program, or the programmer did not differentiate a ASE from a AGE. And their Quality Control was just testing against the ill-conceived requirements, or had a an under developed testing plan.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    There are some American Gold Eagles listed as US Coins Gold with eBay Bucks.

I just did a search.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Some listed as bullion do not offer the Bucks. If "bullion" is not part of the listing category, they
    do offer Bucks.

The one I see was listed on 4/25.
  • Options
    Try to list your Mint gold eagle coin - slabbed or in orginial box - in anything other than bullion category and the ebay bucks police will out you!image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Try to list your Mint gold eagle coin - slabbed or in orginial box - in anything other than bullion category and the ebay bucks police will out you!image >>

Only if it get's reported by one of your "friends." image

As mentioned previously, buyer is eligible for ebay bucks if the AGE is listed in the coin and not bullion category. When window shopping for ASE's on the bay, I look for those that are not listed in the bullion category, but coin category. After all, according to the US Mint, it's a coin.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Try to list your Mint gold eagle coin - slabbed or in orginial box - in anything other than bullion category and the ebay bucks police will out you!image >>

Only if it get's reported by one of your "friends." image

As mentioned previously, buyer is eligible for ebay bucks if the AGE is listed in the coin and not bullion category. When window shopping for ASE's on the bay, I look for those that are not listed in the bullion category, but coin category. After all, according to the US Mint, it's a coin.image >>

When certified it gets a coin number too.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭
    Just crazy
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every one knows that you can not sell a live bird on Ebay.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Make sure she doesn't hit you with a policy violation that affects your final value fees. --Jerry
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Oh yup, I'm a VIOLATOR, got this on my account:

Your policy violations

Search and Browse Manipulation

I'm a Violator, a Violator.....Aghhhh...

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh yup, I'm a VIOLATOR, got this on my account:

Your policy violations

Search and Browse Manipulation

I'm a Violator, a Violator.....Aghhhh... >>

You're a terrible personimage ....To top it off, you need one of these for leaving a negative positive fb to a db buyer. "Your policy compliance rating is Low." FEEDBACK ABUSE
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really.
    Another forum member trafficking in golden eagles.
    Very sad.

Thank goodness eBay is there for us. image
  • Options
    Update post one. They were real serious today on the phone that I'm a violator and I can't list (I'm restricted) until they're done with their escalated investigation. Gold Eagles must be listed as silver American eagles they say. Wasted 45 minutes on the phone with the ladder approach to the top ending in a discussion with some trust and safety gal.

Outrageous, preposterous, and egregious I say...Once I get out of the twilight zone I'll update further.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read your update. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like they need to have an "American Eagles" category under gold (and Platinum).
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm speechless. Who is in charge of that place?? They will never beat Amazon if this is the way they are running the business.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And...I just read today on CNN Money that the eBay CEO only made $29.7 million last year. Makes me want to use their "service" even more...
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    American Eagle?

That's Kingdom: Animalia | Phylum: Chordata | Class: Aves | Order: Falconiformes | Family: Accipitridae | Genus: Haliaeetus | Species: Leucocephalus

What are they thinking?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>American Eagle?

That's Kingdom: Animalia | Phylum: Chordata | Class: Aves | Order: Falconiformes | Family: Accipitridae | Genus: Haliaeetus | Species: Leucocephalus

What are they thinking?

image >>

Leucoecphalus, of course is derived from Leuco, which everyone knows mean "white" (leukemia is a disease of white blood cells), and cephalus, which everyone knows means "head". I think this is the species descriptor for the bald eagle, but not the golden eagle. I'm sure the escalation of your case to the Federal Bureau of eBay Special Vicitims Unit will sort out all of these bird taxonomy issues in short order. Until then, I'm not buying anything from you..... you..... criminal!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    two words

Great Collections
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So, is eBay now telling you where to list your items??? I sold some graded 25th ASE's that were not under Bullion so the buyer could get the eBay bucks. To me, they were not Bullion. In fact, I don't believe any US Government minted coin with a monetary value on it s/b classified as bullion. Leave that category for the bars and rounds!!!

Maybe they should do away with eBay bucks and lower their fees!! After all, the seller is the one paying the buyer the Bucks!!!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have asked the upper echelon eBay rep if they had ever heard of the Keystone Cops. FleaBay is getting to be more like a vaudeville act every successive day.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you really are caught in a weird dimension of bizarreoville. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Something has been screwed up for a good while on the modern made-for-collectors American Eagle series. Last summer, I tried listing some PCGS
    proof silver eagles, and found they could only be listed under "bullion" and then there were no "item specifics" fields to enter
    the name of the grading company, grade, serial number. So I entered it in the text of the description, and found that the listing would not be accepted because I had apparently listed a numerical grade for a coin that was not certified by an approved grading service! I finally just put them in one of the live auctions I conduct locally.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem with a 500 pound gorilla scratching his nuts is image

A person's gotta be nuts.
  • Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942
    Were they the good gold plated ones or did they only have a gold filling?image
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

you beat me to the smack!!!
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they're escalating this matter for further investigation

Does that mean it's on its way up to the top floor? Did everyone go jump on the elevator?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You listed an American Eagle in Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Gold > Coins . Please list these items in Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Silver > American Eagle. >>

You might point out to ebay that American Eagles no longer appear as a listing choice in any of their categories for Coins & Paper Money. They removed eagles, spouses and gold buffalos sometime last month. Since ebay considers eagles to be bullion, the only correct category left for gold eagles is the one you chose. Once this category is chosen, the "items specifics" drop down box for "type" allows you to select American Eagle.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a drop down menu in: Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Gold > Coins for American Eagles. Did you use that?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May, 2013 marks 1 full year for me without me posting a single ebay listing. I'll be back, but I have sure enjoyed the year off!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    "absurd" just about sums it up image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I can't believe it. I mean I've had problems with some listings but they were obscure so I figured maybe it was just me ... AGE are so common, I can't believe this is happening to you. How does APMEX list their AGEs?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>There is a drop down menu in: Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Gold > Coins for American Eagles. Did you use that?

image >>

Well, I looked at one of my old listings and in the item specific field I had quite a bit of info, year, cert # type, gold, etc but for the one you referenced it was blank.

Regardless, I was cited for listing in an "inappropriate category" as indicated in their email:

You recently listed the following listing:

181132255200 - 2012 W $50 GOLD EAGLE PCGS FIRST STRIKE MS 70 BURNISHED KING OF THE GOLD EAGLES!

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:

You listed an American Eagle in Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Gold > Coins . Please list these items in Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Silver > American Eagle.

You can easily relist from your Unsold folder in your My eBay.

Listing an item in an inappropriate category isn't allowed.

Many buyers narrow their search to a specific category. Including items that don't belong in a particular category makes search results less helpful and can result in fewer purchases. It also confuses buyers who may be unclear about what's actually being offered. This can lead to buyers filing claims.

Please select a category that's an exact match for the item you're selling, so that buyers can find what they are looking for. A good guideline is that if a category exists that fits your item more closely, then it should be listed there.

Important: The next time you sell, you may be asked to take a tutorial. Once you've completed the tutorial successfully, please review your account status for any other possible concerns. If there are no other issues, you should be able to sell again.

The way I see it, I didn't list in an inappropriate category, and in fact used the same category everybody else uses. Also, if you look at other listings most include hardly anything in item specifics. Maybe you guys are on to smoething with the item specific selection but in any event I think including that stuff is optional.

For now I guess I will just wait for their silly email and finish my coffee. They also said that this issue could only be fully addressed by email for some reason so for now I have to wait.
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭
    That's amazing. Absurd doesn't even begin to describe it.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    items specifics are optional with the exception of a required cert number for graded coins(if not clear in picture or included in description). You problem is the very recent change in bullion categories is greek to the people you have talked to. Call back, if you can't get satisfaction ask for a supervisor who, once he understands the category changes, will drop all charges.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Well, just in, the "email they promised" and I guess this is the best they'll do as far as a written apology...I'm free, free as a bird....Kinda like a Not Guilty...Thanks gang for suffering through bizarre word with me...

Hello casman

We have restored the following listing:

It now appears as an ended item.

To relist your item, click the "Relist" link in the listing. The listing will restart automatically.

If there were any bidders for your item, we emailed them to let them know the listing for Item number 181132255200 - 2012 W $50 GOLD EAGLE PCGS FIRST STRIKE MS 70 BURNISHED KING OF THE GOLD EAGLES!
    was removed in error. We've also explained how they can find your item again if you relist it.

We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Thanks,

eBay

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Are they chopsticks on the top of the cage??

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish someone with a numismatic background would
    become in charge of listing / dealing with / coins on eBay.

That clerk is crazy. >>

a very big worldwide problem. people holding positions they aren't really qualified to. even worse when those people have some sort of "power" over others.

edited to add:

i came here from this thread.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That "item specific" stuff is really annoying.
    As if it wasn't a lot of work to do listings in volume already, they have to go and make it even more work.

And with the higher fees, eBay auctions (for coins) seem to be dying out.
    For example, I just did a random search for "CC" in the US Gold Coins category.
    Out of 77 listings, only about 4 of them are actual auctions (and three of those four are cleaned problem coins).
    The other 73 listings are high-priced "buy it now" items. So much for eBay being an "auction" site.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    King of the Gold Eagles? Does it have Elvis's pic on it????

lol,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file