Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm putting my circulated wheatbacks into circulation.

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
Holding on to very low value (and very common) coins like this makes no sense. It costs more to sell them than they are worth.

Back into circulation they go.

Low grade Buffalo nickels are next...
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Most dealers I know with a brick and mortar will pay at least 3 cents each.

I do see your point if your trying to ship them, its not worth the hassle.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    PM sent
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See 'em later when I find them in roll searches.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most dealers I know with a brick and mortar will pay at least 3 cents each.

I do see your point if your trying to ship them, its not worth the hassle. >>

It costs more in gas to drive to the brick & mortar shops than the coins are worth.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Been doing that for years. Hoping they would be found by a youngster and would spur the collecting bug.

I recently looked at a group of coins a friend had. There were a dozen or so wheaties and indian heads. Value was minimal, due to condition. I recomended she place them back into circulation. I believe she did.

edited to add: This coming from a collector, not a dealer.
    Dan
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Most dealers I know with a brick and mortar will pay at least 3 cents each.

It costs more in gas to drive to the brick & mortar shops than the coins are worth. >>

In that case, you should walk them there.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple gallons of wheaties that 'someday' I will search.... after that, either circulation or some YN starting a Lincoln cent collection...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a fine use for them! And it makes me think of the fable
    by Aesop, "The Miser and His Gold." If you're not
    getting any pleasure or utility from the coins, why not spend them?
    (And by spending them, possibly spark a newcomer's interest in the hobby?)

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    I'm doing the same with BU rolls of statehood quarters. The coin shops I've asked don't want them and eBay buyers won't pay enough to cover the fees and postage and leave you with even face value.
  • Options
    I gave bags of mine to nieces and nephews along w/ Whitmans this past Christmas and they loved them. The youngsters range in age from 4 to 8, and I plan to buy them some of the keys for special events, i.e. first communions, graduations, etc.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I think putting them into circulation is an excellent idea.

It makes roll searching possible again for the youth, and you never know when a youngster will find one and it peaks his/her interest. image

Cheers,

CuKevin
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a 5,000 coin bag of wheaties in 1980, and found some high grade (AU) pieces going back to the late 1920's. However, there were about 50 coins that I considered to be culls. I recently went through them and have been using them when giving exact change for purchases. Dealers buying wheat cents don't want culls, but some kid may find a 90-year old coin and be intrigued enough to take up collecting.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>

It costs more in gas to drive to the brick & mortar shops than the coins are worth. >>

You are probably going anyway ! I bring this stuff to coin shows that I would attend anyway
    and sell for 3x face too.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I know i always get a bit excited and a "that's pretty cool" when i find one in circulation and im 38! I just save them. One day when i have enough, i might start a Whitman.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any I get go into the change jar roller, get rolled up, and taken to the bank when I do a change run.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding!! Now all we have to do is convince folks that saving pre 1982 Memorials is going to make them rich and we just might start a coin collecting renaissance.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a couple gallons of wheaties that 'someday' I will search.... after that, either circulation or some YN starting a Lincoln cent collection...Cheers, RickO >>

i like the idea of a YN going thru them to get started. I just cant see turning them over to the banks but thats just m.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have often thought that my son will someday sort through such a junk box. That's how I got started - when I was nine - searching for 1909 SVDB's in my dad's water cooler jug.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep them in a jar for copper for when we are allowed to melt them one day...just another idea.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file