Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions

CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
I stumbled on this 1962 proof set I have had for a long time and noticed that the half dollar and the dime had some very beautiful golden toning on them (picture below if I do this right and I apologize for the lousy picture in advance). I was wondering what the best way to keep these coins from over toning is? Is it a good idea to remove them from the mint packaging and send them to a grading service, or are they best left alone in their mint packaging? Other advice? Again I apologize for the photos, the golden color is very nice and bright in hand.

All opinions and advice are welcome.

Thank you

Edited to add photos.
Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't see the pics, but if it took 50 years to get that toning, I would not worry about it too much.

Leave as is.

bobimage

Okay, there are the pics now. Not attractive toning in my opinion. I'd get them out now to stop any further
    damage (maybe not the right word there).
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    If their toning is beautiful, better pics are neeeded.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I would put them in some airtights. Sending them in will cost more then they are worth. I put alot of my coins in airtights but that is just me ,Type2. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I,m afraid the only thing that can save those coins is the atomspheric conditions of eastern washington county Maine...luckily for you,I happen to occupy some space there.....will PM mailing addressimage
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry,
    but beautiful is not a term I would use with those (looks like tobacco stain toning)

I had a lot of sets look like that when they came into the shop, the 90% basket is where they ended up
  • Options
    Hello,

I think they look OK to nice. OP likes them and says they are better and golden in hand - they look "done" now - take them out of the oven and put them in Tupperware image (airtites, etc.)

Eric
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the photos the toning appears unattractive.

1962 proof sets are very common. Don't waste any time or money fooling around with them or worrying about the best way to keep/store them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing there a good dip would not take care of.....image Cheers, Rick
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless someone knows of a good way to take photos through mint packaging in a low light environment, the following images are the best I could do:

I hope this better illustrates the golden color that is seen in hand. It sounds like community consensus is to leave them alone.

Thanks for the advice.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to me thats not especally attractive but if you like what you see and feel that you want to preserve them then some airtights would be my suggestion
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file