Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Wax Boxes

After taking a few year break from the hobby I decided to start back up again. About a week ago I began getting wax boxes. I've never collected unopened before but I think I'm hooked, the trick will be keeping some of them sealed lol. The boxes finally came in mail today.

And the second pack in I got a hit

My goal is to keep atleast some of this sealed but I know it'll be hard
Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing

Comments

• RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back. And I like to display my wax boxes the same way - with the lid popped up like on a store display. Only thing is that makes it more tempting and easier to walk up and grab a pack to rip open.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Nice display. I have to agree that the display looks so much better with the box tops popped up like that. Unfortunately, most of my boxes are BBCE sealed. Hmmm, maybe I should pick up some empty boxes for display purposes, except that I know I will then find the need to fill them up!
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice start to your unopened collection and welcome back to the hobby. Are you going to stick to Football or are you going to expand into other sports? I find that Baseball sucks up so much of my money, I can't afford to branch out into other sports. Good luck resisting the ripping devil image and looking forward to seeing your future posts.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • By keeping those boxes open like that, your asking for it. lol
  • JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    I have a hard time not ripping everything I buy. About a year ago I decided to give sealed collecting a try. I picked up some early 80's football and baseball and left it sealed for about 8 months. Then, I finished my man room and had a nice shelf to display it, so, I popped the top of the boxes like you have so they could be displayed. Within 2 weeks all packs were ripped.

Good luck. Welcome back.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    There was a time when I used to bust that ProSet looking for Jeff George.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Also thought it was hilarious that the Pro Set Series 1 was the box with the most "action." I remember ripping those. Aren't those the ones with the Lombardi hologram or something? I seem to remember there being an impossible chase card in those boxes.

I plan to do the same thing eventually with my OPC baseball run. The original plan was to do just graded packs 1964-1980 and then individual wax boxes with the top popped open like yours for 1981-1994. But I'm thinking I might end up doing wax boxes into the late-1970s too. I ripped a ton of boxes justifying it to myself that they were so cheap it was ok, but with the recent increase in prices I may just hold onto all the unopened that's left instead of ripping it. I don't have a place to display my current progress so everything is just filling up some shelves in my closet.

Do you have a plan on expanding it? Going to do a run?
  • scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    I do like displaying the boxes that way, kind of like your own card shop out of the past. Hmm, I'll take two packs...make it a dozen.

• << <i>There was a time when I used to bust that ProSet looking for Jeff George. >>

I remember those Jeff George searching days like they were yesterday. He had such a gun and no brain on how to use it....such a waste!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • That looks like a fun starter collection. Especially those 87 and 88 Topps FB. I dont position mine as a personal shop. I probably would pick at them and I am glad I dont do it. Once I have mine organized, I will have to photograph it.
  • Funny you mention Jeff George

From the same pack a few decent Rc's

The cheap stuff is fun to open
    I didn't collect when this stuff was out so it's a blast. I have a '83 football box coming next week that'll be fun trying not to open that whole box in one sitting.
    If I get any box sealed I'll try and keep it sealed but if its open it's fair game.

• dalstar66dalstar66 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Has anyone here ever have any luck with the 1981 Football grocery racks from Baseball Card Exchange? Not sure how the condition of the cards would be on those.

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone here ever have any luck with the 1981 Football grocery racks from Baseball Card Exchange? Not sure how the condition of the cards would be on those. >>

Just bought a bunch of those and not a single card in 10 racks was worth grading. Cards were all warped and the corners were crap. I love BBCE but I recommend avoiding that particular item.

BTW...very nice condition on those Pro Set Series IIs. If you have pull any gems that I don't already own, feel free to get them graded PSA 10 and then profit off of selling them to me! image

Here's my set
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    It's great how the Kennedy card shows holding by the O-lineman. Holding could be called on every play....
  • I was not sure where the best place to put this, but this thread seems related. I noticed BBCE has 1988 Topps FB, but I have not seen any 1987 on their site for some time, even though they seem to continually have 84, 85 and 86. I dont think 87 is a significantly product. Is it just a popular series or is it a lot more rare than I know? The BV of the set is closer to 88 than to 86, so I would assume that it is a fairly common set.
  • BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Nice Display. I couldn't help but notice the old leather football helmet. .Where did that gem come from?
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Heh, nice display. If you want it to look REALLY authentic, you need to put a post-it note on the boxes with some ridiculous per pack price. It'll give it just that special card store touch.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was not sure where the best place to put this, but this thread seems related. I noticed BBCE has 1988 Topps FB, but I have not seen any 1987 on their site for some time, even though they seem to continually have 84, 85 and 86. I dont think 87 is a significantly product. Is it just a popular series or is it a lot more rare than I know? The BV of the set is closer to 88 than to 86, so I would assume that it is a fairly common set. >>

I know that Randal Cunningham used to drive the price on 87's and also the second year cards of Rice and Steve Young, can't remember other key cards but maybe they just were all bought upimage

• << <i>

<< <i>I was not sure where the best place to put this, but this thread seems related. I noticed BBCE has 1988 Topps FB, but I have not seen any 1987 on their site for some time, even though they seem to continually have 84, 85 and 86. I dont think 87 is a significantly product. Is it just a popular series or is it a lot more rare than I know? The BV of the set is closer to 88 than to 86, so I would assume that it is a fairly common set. >>

I know that Randal Cunningham used to drive the price on 87's and also the second year cards of Rice and Steve Young, can't remember other key cards but maybe they just were all bought upimage >>

Cunningham and a Jim Kelly rookie are both in the 87. I think Payton's last player card as well.
    '87 Topps
    Rookies

Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, Herschel Walker, Charles Haley, Gary Zimmerman, Randall Cunningham
    Gary Zimmerman Rc is in the HOF RC set.

When opening these packs I'm always hoping for a well centered J.Kelly or C.Haley.

• Are we not counting USFL cards?
    NFL Rookies
    First cards as NFL players

The USFL cards are the main Rc's though

• ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but, I think on the football side 1987 was the last issue before the printers
    went wild. I may be wrong on that, but there is a heck of a gap in price and availability between
    1987 and 1988. Football was lagging behind baseball in that aspect.

Maybe someone could chime in that actually knows. Anyway, almost everyting you have pictured
    is the stuff I grew up on!! Thanks for showing us and keep them pics. coming!!image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!